Virgin Australia Delays/Cancellations

Fog in LST this morning disrupted inbound flights. 0830 VA 1362 MEL -LST departed but diverted to HBA. (The corresponding QF flight diverted back to MEL, per @jase05)
Fog still causing issues. VA1368 MEL-LST is currently returning to MEL, while the JQ flight from BNE diverted to HBA.

A JQ flight from MEL just did a go around, and that QF flight you mention is about to give it another shot.

Fog still causing issues. VA1368 MEL-LST is currently returning to MEL, while the JQ flight from BNE diverted to HBA.

A JQ flight from MEL just did a go around, and that QF flight you mention is about to give it another shot.
I thought I heard that there were fires around LST causing issues. Some roads were closed around the area due to smoke aswell.

esit
maybe I misheard as I can’t see anything on the Tasmanian emergency website

AFL game in Launceston today, heard on the broadcast both teams delayed overnight post game - Giants (Sydney based) having to bus to HBA in the morning!

On Sunday 25 August 2024, early evening storms in MEL see many trips losing time.

B738 VH-IXJ is an example. This aircraft operated VA1460, the 1135 hours DRW to MEL airborne about half an hour late at 1224 hours. It arrived at gate in MEL at 1650 hours, 35 down, but has since formed VA867, the 1700 hours peak period MEL-SYD in the sky at 1831. Expected arrival in the mainland Harbour city is about 1945 hours, 80 minutes behind schedule.

It is then displaying as running VA442, the 1920 hours SYD-ADL optimistically showing as a 2005 hours departure: make that at least 2020 off blocks and even that might be unachievable. It then operates VA723, the 2145 hours ADL-PER so that'll be badly late as well: the plane then stables for the night. (These latter two flights can change, but the above is what FR24 suggests).

This is the classic sort of night when some airline personnel such as flight and cabin crew may end up 'out of position'. Annoying if some were having the day off tomorrow and they had 'things' to do.

Yep VA337 sat on tarmac for 30 mins and ended up being 30 mins late. Despite a good tailwind, couldn’t make up time as we flew around the storms and then were slowed coming in to BNE

Yep VA337 sat on tarmac for 30 mins and ended up being 30 mins late. Despite a good tailwind, couldn’t make up time as we flew around the storms and then were slowed coming in to BNE

As at 2040 AEST, MEL appears to be only using the east-west runway, creating further delays.

On Monday 26 August 2024, light fog had been predicted for the morning in BNE.

VA1207, the 0620 hours from CBR to BNE took off ahead of time at 0625 with B737 VH-VBZ. Its initial holding pattern was east of Tenterfield NSW (famous for being the setting for a well known Peter Allen song, and also for many years the terminus of the passenger train from Sydney that conveyed a Travelling Post Office with sorters onboard) but then a second hold slightly west of Murwillumbah (once the terminus for the well known Gold Coast Motorail Express train with its sleeping and sitting cars).

Mooted at gate arrival in BNE becomes 0852 hours, 52 late, so with the 10 minute early takeoff from CBR, that's just over an hour in delays.

By viewing FR24, one can often glean when there may have been an aircraft failure.

On Friday 30 August 2024, B738 VH-IWX commened with VA1313, the 0625 hours HBA across Bass Strait to MEL, arriving 14 late at 0759, so officially 'on time.'

The next outing was the 0850 hours MEL-SYD (VA825), arriving at gate just three minutes late at 1018 hours.

But then this aircraft formed VA1413, the very much delayed 0810 hours SYD-CNS airborne at 1125. This arrived at gate at 1414 was 169 minutes behind schedule. Returning south as VA1418, it's just arrived in SYD at 1755, 170 late.

On Monday 1 September 2024, Melbourne doesn't look pretty with Ground Delay Program active till at least 2pm. Will be 27 ops pretty much the entire day, with strong westerly winds, windshear, rain, and isolated storms/hail forecast.

At least 26 domestic flights (not all VA's) have been cancelled on Monday 2 September, principally due to strong winds in MEL.

As at 1330 AEST, SYD was only using its east-west runway.

De;ays are building: one example is B738 VH-VUI on VA557, the 1230 hours SYD-PER that was airborne at 1328 hours. Arrival should be 32 minutes behind at 1617 mid afternoon.

I flew from ZQN-MEL last night. Like my last trip ZQN-MEL...VA snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

Inbound aircraft arrived ahead of schedule.

Probably half an hour before scheduled departure they announced they needed volunteers due to weight restriction. They probably got 1 or 2...they kept asking...no takers. Eventually they said they needed 15. In the end they picked their 15...they said it was random although I assume fare paid / status comes into it? Mind you my red Velocity friend on a reward booking didn't get booted.

During the extended period this was going on all the checked bags sat on the tarmac in the pissing rain. We sat on the aircraft for an hour before taking off for a long 4+ hour flight with strong headwinds and a bit of circling over Gippsland...windy arrival but lucky not to get the weather Melbourne had a few hours later!

Anyone in the know...on the weight restriction...is it because?
  • The take off runway changed to the easterly direction i.e. instead of out over the lake, it was now towards the terrain in front
  • The very strong headwinds towards MEL
  • Combination of the above?

Last edited:
Anyone in the know...on the weight restriction...is it because?
Combination of all. Some alternates were under weather threat as well - eg VA had MEL-LST had to return to MEL.

Two other diversions I know of last night were Vietjet after two attempts went to Canberra for fuel then returned successfully. Cebu Pacific had two attempts then flew to BNE and returned successfully. How the latter did it with crew hours surprised me.

I flew from ZQN-MEL last night.

Probably half an hour before scheduled departure they announced they needed volunteers due to weight restriction. They probably got 1 or 2...they kept asking...no takers. Eventually they said they needed 15. In the end they picked their 15...they said it was random although I assume fare paid / status comes into it? Mind you my red Velocity friend on a reward booking didn't get booted.

What compensation/arrangements were offered if one volunteered?

A free night's accommodation in a 3.5 star or higher hotel/apartment with breakfast, plus A$500? 😋

Also on 2 September, VA50 (B738 VH-8IC, the 1535 hours mid afternoon DPS-BNE) was in the sky at 1716 so arrival should be at 0039 hours on Tuesday 3, 69 minutes late.

Showing how badly single runway ops for some of today in SYD and MEL have affected punctuality, and throw in strong winds in MEL as well, VA569, the 2015 hours SYD-PER (B738 VH-VUT) had only just pushed back as at 2203 tonight. Fortunately this aircraft is indicated on FR24 as overnighting in Perth so at least its lateness won't mean a delayed redeye (though that may well be the case if a sister aircraft has been delayed on a transcon ex MEL or SYD).

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back