A320 German-wings accident in Southern France

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stories abound about the co-pilot, a new one that I haven't seen reported here yet:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/26862741/germanwings-crash-co-pilot-was-expecting-baby-with-on-off-girlfriend/?cmp=ydn

To me, there is still something missing :confused:...although the root cause appears to be mental illness. Considering it looks that he wasn't taking his medication, that wasn't going to auger well for those onboard. I believe there was some level of premeditation about the act. But being remembered for this (heinous) act is surely not the way to go...

mannej, it would hardly be a case of 'anti-Islam hysteria':

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-future-of-islam-in-the-hands-of-reformers-20150329-1map1d.html

As a general rule, one doesn't find Christians including Catholics, Buddhists or those of the Jewish faith carrying out terrorist related attacks. The Israelis have to defend their small, advanced, democratic nation from constant attacks. Thankfully Australia supports them in their very difficult task.

Have a casual look at what has and is occurring around the world. Very worrying for all who believe in (admittedly imperfect) Western democracy. As others have pointed out, such episodes on board aircraft are very rare, but nonetheless troubling as we want to be able to trust pilots and co-pilots just as we do train, bus and car drivers.

I am sorry but if it were proven, there would be more information in the mainstream media.

Go preach the hysteria somewhere else.

The stories abound about the co-pilot, a new one that I haven't seen reported here yet:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/26862741/germanwings-crash-co-pilot-was-expecting-baby-with-on-off-girlfriend/?cmp=ydn

To me, there is still something missing :confused:...although the root cause appears to be mental illness. Considering it looks that he wasn't taking his medication, that wasn't going to auger well for those onboard. I believe there was some level of premeditation about the act. But being remembered for this (heinous) act is surely not the way to go...

There are reports his vision may have been failing. Plus his ex girlfriend rejected the gift of an Audi car a couple of days before he crashed the plane. He definitely premeditated this crime.

Last edited:
I haven't kept up with this entire thread, so perhaps this has been suggested already, but perhaps a semi-ensuite type config could be incorporated into future aircraft designs. Two doors accessing a bathroom at the pointy end and when pilot enters, shows "in use" and locks from cabin side, but not lockable from coughpit?

I'm sure there's a hole in this scenario, which someone will think of (apart from the fact, there's thousands of aircraft that can't be reconfigured for this).

I'm sure there's a hole in this scenario, which someone will think of (apart from the fact, there's thousands of aircraft that can't be reconfigured for this).

I think VAs abominable piece of airborne misery only has a lavatory at the rear, so if a pilot has to go, he/she has to walk down the back, I think.

So we now are going to have the 2 in the coughpit rule here now.This is a knee jerk reaction and doesn't do anything about the real problem in this particular case.

The problem is Germany's privacy laws concerning medicine.Legroom previously I was not having a go at you but trying to back up your proposal.Germany needs a proper discussion on their privacy laws so that people found unfit to perform their duties that are concerned with the public such as pilots,bus drivers,train drivers and the medical profession itself to try and get the balance right between privacy and protection of the public.

Interestingly over the weekend I was reading some older medical journals and one article was on the Waterfall Train accident about 10 years ago.It was found that the driver had a cardiac arrest and the guard had psychological problems that probably explained why he did not activate the Emergency brake.
The workforce underwent stringent medicals as a result.2% of drivers were found to have medical conditions that were permanent and should not be working.12% were found to be temporarily unfit for duty mainly on heart or psychological grounds.

There is obviously not going to be a foolproof system, but I think the current procedures in place for flight deck access are more than adequate. They are designed to stop the most likely attack which will be from a hijacker, not a rouge pilot. The focus needs to be on peoples health and well-being. This two man rule does nothing to address the real problem and is simply an easy fix by governments to make it look like something has been done.

The new rule starts in Australia at 2359 for two people in the flight deck and is up for review one year from now.

I haven't kept up with this entire thread, so perhaps this has been suggested already, but perhaps a semi-ensuite type config could be incorporated into future aircraft designs. Two doors accessing a bathroom at the pointy end and when pilot enters, shows "in use" and locks from cabin side, but not lockable from coughpit?

There are already aircraft that have toilets located within the flight deck. It would not prevent what just happen because you still have one person at the controls and if he or she wants too, they simply point the aircraft down.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

So we now are going to have the 2 in the coughpit rule here now.This is a knee jerk reaction and doesn't do anything about the real problem in this particular case.

The problem is Germany's privacy laws concerning medicine.Legroom previously I was not having a go at you but trying to back up your proposal.Germany needs a proper discussion on their privacy laws so that people found unfit to perform their duties that are concerned with the public such as pilots,bus drivers,train drivers and the medical profession itself to try and get the balance right between privacy and protection of the public.

Interestingly over the weekend I was reading some older medical journals and one article was on the Waterfall Train accident about 10 years ago.It was found that the driver had a cardiac arrest and the guard had psychological problems that probably explained why he did not activate the Emergency brake.
The workforce underwent stringent medicals as a result.2% of drivers were found to have medical conditions that were permanent and should not be working.12% were found to be temporarily unfit for duty mainly on heart or psychological grounds.

Agreed, something needs to change in Germany.

I worked in fast food in Germany last year. To get the job I needed to sign a form agreeing that I would never go to work if unwell. (Everyone who works with food in Germany has to when they get their health certificate/"red card" - having one is a legal requirement for anyone working in hospitality.) In fact, it is illegal to report for work if you or anyone else suspects you might have a contagious illness that could pose a risk to public health.

How can a country that takes food safety so seriously, allow an A320 pilot to hide a serious mental condition from his employer and report to work, where he is responsible for 149 lives?

mannej, it would hardly be a case of 'anti-Islam hysteria':

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-future-of-islam-in-the-hands-of-reformers-20150329-1map1d.html

As a general rule, one doesn't find Christians including Catholics, Buddhists or those of the Jewish faith carrying out terrorist related attacks..

Blinkers on in full force here.

Look at the good old Christian "god-fearing" USA land of the shoot-out massacre.....primary schools, theatres, military bases...any where and everywhere!

The Crusades??

The Spanish Inquisition?

IRA?

Are you really serious saying that the Crusades which began over 900 years ago and the Spanish Inquisition which began over 500 years ago are proof that Christians are committing a big proportion of terrorist attacks recently.
And by the way the IRA was a secular army.
Maybe you could read more recent articles.The last article shows that 70% of fatalities in terrorist attacks are due to Sunni extremists,next come the Marxists.But between 82-97% of fatalities due to the Sunni extremists are other muslims.
What ISIS Really Wants - The Atlantic
List of Islamic terrorist attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sunni Muslim 'Extremists' Committed 70% of Terrorist Murders in 2011 | CNS News

Blinkers on in full force here.

Look at the good old Christian "god-fearing" USA land of the shoot-out massacre.....primary schools, theatres, military bases...any where and everywhere!

The Crusades??

The Spanish Inquisition?

IRA?

Just remember the Islamic crusades started four centuries before any Christian Crusades.

IRA was a response to the English Invasion of Ireland.

Terrorist is a loaded term based on perspective.

Ask both sides of any conflict and there is a good chance they will both claim the other side are terrorists.

This is way, way off topic since there has only been the faintest hint of Islam mentioned in the Germanwings incident and its a very long way from someone having a particular faith to an assumption that this means they are a terrorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back