Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or this saying that Andrews did not support it:

“But look, police made the call that the notion of trying to arrest 10,000 people was just not something that could be practically done.

“People should not have gone to that protest, it should not have occurred and I was pretty clear about that at the time.

“But police make these judgements… but the key point here is, think about the close contact that is involved in issuing fines to people or locking people up.

“It just becomes impossible, it’s not practical.

That was the judgement of the Chief Commissioner, and my job is to support the calls that he makes.”

Does anybody really think that 10,000 or 17,000 or however many people were going to March could be stopped really? Perhaps it was for the same reason that the police commissioner could not stop the one in Melbourne or the one in Sydney, nobody approved the marches, they just couldn’t stop them.

The idea that one person is to blame has got legs on this forum and it needed to be tested and is found to be untrue. It is the advice of the police commissioners as you point out.

It is reassuring then, coming from you, that I am not going bonkers in thinking exactly that. In SA, the BLM was specifically approved by the Police Commissioner who is running the state, sadly, during the Emergency period. How I wish that wasnt so.

Once again, not happy other states trying to take the limelight away from Vic during the pandemic ;)

Good to see that using the police made all the difference in improving the operation of a quarantine hotel ;)

It is the advice of the police commissioners as you point out.
And which I completely disagreed with at the time.

I have no idea what Test you are stating that is found to be untrue because the negative "message" that it sent has not been tested at all. I did not discuss anything to do with specific infections nor spread amongst the protestors - but the mental message it sent to others in the community and we all know that sending the correct messages in this pandemic is the most important thing to do.

Edit to add an observation: Why do you keep laughing @trevella and not posting your thoughts as others are doing so that a debate can occur? Maybe you just need to block me?

Once again, not happy other states trying to take the limelight away from Vic during the pandemic ;)

Good to see that using the police made all the difference in improving the operation of a quarantine hotel ;)

Is it possible that this hotel has non Quarantine people staying there? Sounds like a dive!

Last edited:

I'm not sure the fellow is that reliable a witness.complains of not being able to open a window then describes what people etc are throwing etc out of the windows.Basically after his 5 minutes of fame and a journalistic beat up.

Reactions: DC3
I don’t know what you’re referring to I’ll have to go back through re @trevella(?) I thought rather than not posting my opinions it might be the opposite. 🤣

I was just pointing out that the premier of Victoria did not sanction a march. Nothing personal, why would I block you!? This is all getting a bit confusing.

And which I completely disagreed with at the time.

I have no idea what Test you are stating that is found to be untrue because the negative "message" that it sent has not been tested at all. I did not discuss anything to do with specific infections nor spread amongst the protestors - but the mental message it sent to others in the community and we all know that sending the correct messages in this pandemic is the most important thing to do.

Edit to add an observation: Why do you keep laughing @trevella and not posting your thoughts as others are doing so that a debate can occur? Maybe you just need to block me?

Is it possible that this hotel has non Quarantine people staying there? Sounds like a dive!

I'm not sure the fellow is that reliable a witness.complains of not being able to open a window then describes what people etc are throwing etc out of the windows.Basically after his 5 minutes of fame and a journalistic beat up.

Do you have access to alternative reports?

After scanning it twice, I can't find a reference in that article to not being able to open a window

Similar reports from other outlets besides ABC, Cairns Post

"
QUARANTINE HOTEL DETAINEES PARTY ON IN LOCKDOWN
Lockdown tension fuelled by alcohol at a COVID quarantine hotel has detainees flouting strict isolation regulations, balcony hopping and generally misbehaving while serving 14-day exclusions at the Pacific Hotel.

Last edited:
Do you have access to alternative reports?

After scanning it twice, I can't find a reference in that article to not being able to open a window

Similar reports from other outlets besides ABC, Cairns Post

"
QUARANTINE HOTEL DETAINEES PARTY ON IN LOCKDOWN
Lockdown tension fuelled by alcohol at a COVID quarantine hotel has detainees flouting strict isolation regulations, balcony hopping and generally misbehaving while serving 14-day exclusions at the Pacific Hotel.

He was interviewed on Brisbane channel 7 news.

Mask advice for Sydney hot spots now recommended:

----------

'Wise to wear a mask' in NSW hotspots, says DCMO

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Michael Kidd said the Commonwealth was "deeply concerned" about the high number of cases.
Lol, I thought this was a NSW Health recommendation since yesterday.

....maybe the point is that it is officially supported from the Fed level??!!

.....or maybe steer back on to topic??!!

With all except Tasmania reporting (to the best that I can keep up), only NSW and Vic with new cases today.

NSW has up to 9 under investigation, but none in the last two days - haven’t noticed any details about the actual resolution of the 9 under investigation (but the NSW Health daily report for today notes 0 under investigation, so not sure whether they gave up or what) so possibly 9 with no links to current known outbreaks.

NSW has the Phase 2 (ie test and isolate for 14 days from last visit regardless of symptom and result) for visitors to at least 7 venues. There are about 30 other venues with Phase 1 (ie watch for symptoms) for its guests/customers. Phase 1 is particularly hard to track with NSW Health updating slowly and media reports diverging quite a bit.

...and the mask recommendation.

I don’t know what you’re referring to I’ll have to go back through re @trevella(?) I thought rather than not posting my opinions it might be the opposite. 🤣

I was just pointing out that the premier of Victoria did not sanction a march. Nothing personal, why would I block you!? This is all getting a bit confusing.
Nah, all good on your behalf. I was having a whinge at ninjas who dont contribute to the discussion😀

I was just pointing out that the premier of Victoria did not sanction a march.
Correct - he did not sanction a march. But he did not effectively try to stop it either.

Bad Bad Signals ... Lock Down with Fines, Lock Down with Fines, Lock Down with Fines, Lock down but no fines¶ for Marching at an unsanctioned event.

Vic. General Public: "Ahh ... look at that ... we can get away with not locking down ..."

At least the NSW government went to court to try to stop one.

¶ Organisers got fines, easily paid for by collecting a few cents from each of the marchers.

Oh, my goodness. So many words defending the poor Victorian Premier. He's the Premier for crying out loud - a very smart and, to this time, successful one. He hid behind his police and weasel words; the police did a 'can't stop 'em, let 'em go'. The NSW Police Commissioner at least went to court to try to stop the march in Sydney. Then, if it still went ahead, there would be more ammunition against the organisers, at least. Did Andrews work the phones talking to the protest leaders (and it wasn't just indigenous organisations involved, remember)? Did he really go all out trying to stop or discourage the march, other than Oh dear, can't stop them, please don't go, but we won't fine you type of effort ? He's the Premier - words and behind the scenes work are his stock in trade. Who will forget 'I don't want to be offensive to South Australians but why would you want to go there?", that got such a laugh in certain corners of the media? The march groups were largely his political constituency. It was a failure of leadership and a failure of will.

Just saw serfty's post above. I needn't say any more.

COVID-19 case confirmed in Port Stephens as virus continues its march across NSW

NSW Health has issued a public health alert to Port Stephens residents, after a man in his 60s who visited the Salamander Bay Shopping Centre on July 15 tested positive to coronavirus.

Hunter New England Local Health District is urging anyone who visited the centre on that day to watch for COVID-19 symptoms and get tested should any respiratory symptoms or fever occur, a statement said.

The source of the man's infection was a visitor from Sydney.

"Anyone in the general Port Stephens area with symptoms of COVID-19 should seek testing," the statement said.

Out gardening this afternoon ;) ...but belatedly here is the daily Vic DHHS Report.

My bolding.

Media release
21 July 2020

Victoria has recorded 374 new cases of coronavirus since yesterday, with the total number of cases now at 6289.
The overall total has increased by 347, after 27 cases were reclassified – largely due to duplication.

Within Victoria, 62 of the new cases are linked to outbreaks or complex cases and 312 are under investigation.
Three new deaths have been reported since yesterday. They are three women aged in their 80s, 90s and 100s. Two of the deaths are linked to known outbreaks.

To date, 42 people have died from coronavirus in Victoria.
In Victoria at the current time:

• 1074 cases may indicate community transmission
  • 3147 cases are currently active in Victoria
  • 174 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including 36 in intensive care
  • 3078 people have recovered from the virus
  • Of the total cases, 5763 cases are from metropolitan Melbourne, while 382 are from regional Victoria
  • Total cases include 3226 men and 3002 women
  • More than 1,361,200 tests have been processed
  • Total number of healthcare workers: 446, active cases: 169
Cases currently linked to public housing in North Melbourne, Flemington and Carlton are as follows:
  • 289 cases are residents of various public housing towers in North Melbourne and Flemington. Investigations are continuing into how these cases are linked.
  • 55 cases are residents of various public housing towers in Carlton. Investigations are continuing into if and/or how these cases are linked.
Cases currently linked to key outbreaks are as follows:
  • 175 cases have been linked to Al-Taqwa College
  • 60 cases have been linked to Somerville Retail Services in Tottenham
  • 13 cases have been linked to Australian Lamb Company in Colac
  • 38 cases have been linked to JBS in Brooklyn
  • 42 cases have been linked to Estia Health in Ardeer
  • 51 cases have been linked to St Basil’s Homes for the Aged in Fawkner
  • 15 cases have been linked to the Woolworths Distribution Centre in Mulgrave
  • 31 cases have been linked to Glendale Aged Care facility in Werribee
  • 9 cases have been linked to Melbourne City Mission in Albion
  • 15 cases have been linked to St Vincent’s Hospital
  • 24 cases have been linked to the Royal Melbourne Hospital Royal Park campus
  • 17 cases have been linked to Embracia Aged Care Moonee Valley in Avondale Heights
There have also been new outbreaks identified in aged care with both Iris Manor in Ashburton and Mercy Place in Parkville notifying single cases, while two cases have been linked to Epping Gardens Aged Care.

My Comment

9 cases have been linked to Melbourne City Mission in Albion. This organisation often deals with the homeless.

Last edited:
Looking at regional LGA's outside of the LGA's with restrictions, new cases today were:

Colac Otway 15 (abattoir cluster)
Greater Geelong 6
Surf Coast 3
Goldern Plains 2
Mooroobool 2
Horsham 1
Glenelg 1
Mansfield 1
Corangamite 1

Reports on the news tonight that a (Melbourne?) woman who has gone to East Gippsland Shire was told she tested positive. Yet she continued to go about as if nothing was wrong. 🤬

10, 9, 8 ...

I think you may mean this case in Orbost. She had been tested, but was awaiting results, and should have been isolating. Plus she, even if not tested, should not have been travelling to Orbost. ( I still have relatives there, as many generations ago some of my forebears arriving by sailing ship settled in Maffra and Orbost. My gandfather used to own and operate the Snowy River Engineering Workshop (car garage) there back when owning your own car was rare ).

Regional Victorians are livid after a person allegedly breaching Melbourne’s lockdown tested positive, sparking coronavirus fears.

The Orbost Club Hotel, in East Gippsland, has been forced to shut its doors after a person from Melbourne attended a number of venues in the region over the weekend.

The infected traveller visited an Aldi supermarket, a number of pubs and a bait and tackle store.

A number of those venues, alongside the Orbost Club Hotel and the Orbost Bakery, have closed down over virus fears.

Last edited:
Quote from the Hobart Mercury a week or so ago:

HOBART will host up to four AFL games in the next two months.

The Mercury can reveal the AFL, the Tasmanian Government and Cricket Tasmania have reached an agreement that will see North Melbourne play possibly its full allotment of four games at Blundstone Arena.

Not so fast.

The make-up of the AFL fixture, and in turn the fate of the 2020 season, could lie partly in the hands of the Tasmanian Government and its public health officials.

Tasmania is looming as the next port in a COVID-19 storm for the AFL, which is desperate to avoid the virus and base its clubs in states with low numbers of cases.

So far, Premier Peter Gutwein has had little desire to allow AFL matches to be played in Tasmania, citing a lack of benefit to the state.

On Monday, Mr Gutwein said special exemptions would not be granted to football clubs hoping to play games in Tasmania, and that, despite reports to the contrary, no agreement to host games in the state had been made.

For perhaps the first time, Tasmania has the whip hand in a stand-off with the Australian Football League.

With coronavirus situations in Victoria and New South Wales worsening, the AFL is fast running out of places to base its teams, and the island of Tasmania presents itself as a coronavirus-free oasis.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

So far, Premier Peter Gutwein has had little desire to allow AFL matches to be played in Tasmania, citing a lack of benefit to the state.

Seems odd that he is indicated to see little benefit as doesn't the Tasmanian Government sponsor at least Hawthorn to play games in the state each year?

EDIT. Make that two teams as TT Lines which is wholly owned by the Tasmanian Government is the second largest sponsor of North Melbourne FC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back