Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting short blog from ABC Covid live blog......on Regional Victoria and Colac Otway......noting in case there is a political influence, Vic Premier is Labor, the Federal MP is a National Party member, not sure the political affiliation of the Mayor

Regional Victoria's coronavirus cluster grows, but lockdowns unlikely — for now
539206e1-3d46-46dd-ae2a-ae380a29c3d1.jpg

Premier Daniel Andrews has rejected calls for regional lockdowns, despite a growing number of COVID-19 cases.

There were 103 active COVID-19 cases in regional Victoria outside the lockdown zone on today — last week there were 32.

Colac Otway Shire Mayor Jason Schram wants the Government to lock down the region so extensive contact tracing can take place to help contain the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile, Federal MP Damian Drum, the member for the regional seat of Nicholls, blasted "marshmallow soft" checkpoints.

"So soft you can drive through it whenever you want," he said.

News.com.au live blog

Map reveals NSW suburbs most at risk

Southwest Sydney has been hit hardest in NSW's renewed coronavirus outbreak, with a heat map showing where COVID-19 is spreading in NSW.
In the Liverpool LGA, there are now 11 active cases in Cecil Hills and Carnes Hill and eight in Chipping Norton and Casula – where the Crossroads Hotel, where a major outbreak is linked, is located.
New hotspots have also emerged closer to the city and on the NSW south coast – while former hotspots, particularly Sydney's eastern suburbs, are yet to report any new cases.
RELATED: NSW faces new targeted lockdowns
sydney-map.jpg

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian warned today the state still had the opportunity to "isolate the cases that we have and to make sure we reduce the incidence of the virus spreading".
The next few weeks are "critical" in getting the outbreak under control, she told reporters.
"If we get through the next three or four weeks the way we have we will be able to have medium to long term surety that NSW can keep moving forward but if we slide backwards that means all of us will need to face situations we shouldn't have to."

Where NSW active cases are
Here's a breakdown of the suburbs where NSW's active coronavirus cases are located:
Southwest Sydney:
  • Carnes Hill, Cecil Hills: 11
  • Casula, Chipping Norton: 8
  • Airds: 5
  • Balmoral: 5
  • Fairfield: 4
  • Cabramatta: 4
  • Belmore: 4
  • Bossley Park, Prairiewood, Abbotsbury: 3
  • Bardia: 2
  • Revesby: 1
  • Catherine Fields: 1
  • Currans Hill, Mount Annan: 1
  • Smithfield: 1
  • Glenfield: 1

Western Sydney:
  • Katoomba, Leura: 4
  • Constitution Hill: 3
  • Schofields: 2
  • Blacktown, Arndell Park: 2
  • Winmalee, Springwood: 1
  • Oatlands, Dundas: 1
  • Erskine Park: 1
  • Glenmore Park: 1
  • Emu Plains, Emu Heights, Jamison: 1
  • Caddens: 1

South Sydney:
  • Lugarno, Peakhurst, Riverwood: 2
  • Caringbah: 2
  • Engadine, Heathcote, Waterfall: 1
  • Beverley Park: 1
  • Allawah, Carlton: 1
  • Grays Point: 1

North Sydney:
  • Baulkham Hills: 3
  • Carlingford: 1

Northern NSW:
  • Charlestown: 2

Southern NSW:
  • Batemans Bay: 4
  • Lavington: 2
  • Lake Illawarra: 1
  • Avondale: 1

I think you may mean this case in Orbost. She had been tested, but was awaiting results, and should have been isolating. Plus she, even if not tested, should not have been travelling to Orbost. ( I still have relatives there, as many generations ago some of my forebears arriving by sailing ship settled in Maffra and Orbost. My gandfather used to own and operate the Snowy River Engineering Workshop (car garage) there back when owning your own car was rare ).

Regional Victorians are livid after a person allegedly breaching Melbourne’s lockdown tested positive, sparking coronavirus fears.

The Orbost Club Hotel, in East Gippsland, has been forced to shut its doors after a person from Melbourne attended a number of venues in the region over the weekend.

The infected traveller visited an Aldi supermarket, a number of pubs and a bait and tackle store.

A number of those venues, alongside the Orbost Club Hotel and the Orbost Bakery, have closed down over virus fears.

Surprised that no name has come out. Journalists not doing their job!

News.com.au live blog

Map reveals NSW suburbs most at risk

Southwest Sydney has been hit hardest in NSW's renewed coronavirus outbreak, with a heat map showing where COVID-19 is spreading in NSW.
In the Liverpool LGA, there are now 11 active cases in Cecil Hills and Carnes Hill and eight in Chipping Norton and Casula – where the Crossroads Hotel, where a major outbreak is linked, is located.
New hotspots have also emerged closer to the city and on the NSW south coast – while former hotspots, particularly Sydney's eastern suburbs, are yet to report any new cases.
RELATED: NSW faces new targeted lockdowns
sydney-map.jpg

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian warned today the state still had the opportunity to "isolate the cases that we have and to make sure we reduce the incidence of the virus spreading".
The next few weeks are "critical" in getting the outbreak under control, she told reporters.
"If we get through the next three or four weeks the way we have we will be able to have medium to long term surety that NSW can keep moving forward but if we slide backwards that means all of us will need to face situations we shouldn't have to."

Where NSW active cases are
Here's a breakdown of the suburbs where NSW's active coronavirus cases are located:
Southwest Sydney:
  • Carnes Hill, Cecil Hills: 11
  • Casula, Chipping Norton: 8
  • Airds: 5
  • Balmoral: 5
  • Fairfield: 4
  • Cabramatta: 4
  • Belmore: 4
  • Bossley Park, Prairiewood, Abbotsbury: 3
  • Bardia: 2
  • Revesby: 1
  • Catherine Fields: 1
  • Currans Hill, Mount Annan: 1
  • Smithfield: 1
  • Glenfield: 1

Western Sydney:
  • Katoomba, Leura: 4
  • Constitution Hill: 3
  • Schofields: 2
  • Blacktown, Arndell Park: 2
  • Winmalee, Springwood: 1
  • Oatlands, Dundas: 1
  • Erskine Park: 1
  • Glenmore Park: 1
  • Emu Plains, Emu Heights, Jamison: 1
  • Caddens: 1

South Sydney:
  • Lugarno, Peakhurst, Riverwood: 2
  • Caringbah: 2
  • Engadine, Heathcote, Waterfall: 1
  • Beverley Park: 1
  • Allawah, Carlton: 1
  • Grays Point: 1

North Sydney:
  • Baulkham Hills: 3
  • Carlingford: 1

Northern NSW:
  • Charlestown: 2

Southern NSW:
  • Batemans Bay: 4
  • Lavington: 2
  • Lake Illawarra: 1
  • Avondale: 1

The geographic spread is just enormous....

With coronavirus situations in Victoria and New South Wales worsening, the AFL is fast running out of places to base its teams, and the island of Tasmania presents itself as a coronavirus-free oasis.
AFL should look at NZ. St Kilda used to play one match a season at the Cake Tin in Wellington. I can’t watch another AP press conference announcing yet more sports teams relocating to Queensland.

AFL should look at NZ. St Kilda used to play one match a season at the Cake Tin in Wellington. I can’t watch another AP press conference announcing yet more sports teams relocating to Queensland.

Let's get more people working in Oz first.

North relocating to Tassie for a month will help, and quite a few people living there I am sure would love to watch a few games from the stands rather than just on TV.

Security Guards recruited to work at Melbourne Hotels (Re Melbourne Enquiry) Just been reading abut this prior to jase05 posting. Some got their COVID security jobs through WhatsApp.

Bring your own masks to the workplace Hotel. Are you interested? We’ll see you there then?

Did someone actually tender, or due the short timeframe, tenders were not required? Well, due to the timeframe, tenders were not called.

Edited

Last edited:
Why isn’t Sydney just moving to wearing masks straight away? What’s the harm? Or have they not stock piled enough for their health care professionals? They have community transmission and it’s popping up everywhere

——-
'Like watching a train wreck': Doctors urge masks be mandated in NSW

Doctors fearful of a second spike in COVID-19 infections in NSW are urging the state to follow Victoria's lead and mandate the wearing of masks in hospitals and the community, but health authorities say there is no benefit to acting before case numbers rise.

While the NSW government has recommended masks be worn in public where physical distancing is not possible, emergency physician David Berger said the policy should go further.

At the moment in NSW, we have an unknown amount of community transmission," Dr Berger said.

"They need to be doing what Victoria is doing, now," the doctor said. "It's like watching a train wreck ... by the time someone has symptoms here, they've already infected six people."

I raised the issue of guards at detention centres and prisons recently and the risk there to those confined if guards were not wearing PPE while at work. Hopefully when Vic went into lockdown facemasks while on duty if near prisoners was adopted.

A Vic guard has now been infected.

Victorian prisons in lockdown after guard tests positive
By Tammy Mills

Six Victorian prisons are in lockdown after a prison officer tested positive to coronavirus.
The GEO prison officer was working at Ravenhall Correctional Centre, Corrections Victoria said.

Ravenhall and a further five prisons - Hopkins Correctional Centre, Langi Kal Kal, Barwon Prison, Fulham and Loddon - are now in lockdown while authorities investigate the officer's contact with other staff and prisoners.

Prisoners that could be potential close contacts have been placed in quarantine units while contact tracing and cleaning was conducted, Corrections Victoria said.
It comes after a new prisoner at Metropolitan Remand Centre, also located in Ravenhall in Melbourne's west, tested positive last Friday.

There have also been two cases connected to Malmsbury and Parkville youth detention centres.
The Age has been told the other prisons are in lockdown because the guard had contact with inmates who have since been transferred from Ravenhall to the other prisons.

The small number of prisoners who were transferred have been tested today and were yet to receive results.
The prison officer was sent home from work on July 16 after he was told a close contact of his had tested positive to coronavirus.
He has been self-isolating since.

This just beggars belief

if what is alleged about the process and MSS involved, truly shocking. MSS create such an impression they are a reputable & professional company and seem to be used widely. Not heard of the other mob before.

Melbourne Enquiry: Just been reading abut this as jase05 was posting. Some got their COVID security jobs through WhatsApp.

Bring your own masks to the workplace Hotel. Are you interested? We’ll see you there then?

Did someone actually tender, or due the short timeframe, tenders were not required

It appears from previous reporting there was no tendering due to the time frames involved but the MSS statement implies there is a contract.

Given the timeframes, the way govs often work and the issues that have arisen, wouldn't be too surprised if it was an existing proforma contract with the ability to add or delete sites at will with a purchase order number and some minion under time pressure took a short cut.

Security Guards recruited to work at Melbourne Hotels (Re Melbourne Enquiry) Just been reading abut this prior to jase05 posting. Some got their COVID security jobs through WhatsApp.

Did someone actually tender, or due the short timeframe, tenders were not required? Well, due to the timeframe, tenders were not called.

Edited
I read, probably linked in that article, that there were no tenders. Who knows if true. What could possibly go wrong. Oh wait...

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Why isn’t Sydney just moving to wearing masks straight away? What’s the harm? Or have they not stock piled enough for their health care professionals? They have community transmission and it’s popping up everywhere

——-
'Like watching a train wreck': Doctors urge masks be mandated in NSW

Doctors fearful of a second spike in COVID-19 infections in NSW are urging the state to follow Victoria's lead and mandate the wearing of masks in hospitals and the community, but health authorities say there is no benefit to acting before case numbers rise.

While the NSW government has recommended masks be worn in public where physical distancing is not possible, emergency physician David Berger said the policy should go further.

At the moment in NSW, we have an unknown amount of community transmission," Dr Berger said.

"They need to be doing what Victoria is doing, now," the doctor said. "It's like watching a train wreck ... by the time someone has symptoms here, they've already infected six people."

ALERT: Quoting myself 😂

Well Trump has now done the most spectacular back flip as the US hurtles towards 150,000 deaths and now recommends Americans wear masks when they are unable to socially distance.

NSW I suspect its only a few days away they will get a full mask wearing advisory for more occasions.

I honestly wish (although probably not the need yet, I get it) that Brisbane got the same advice, I'm so sick of people bumping into me up here -wearing a mask myself does help keep them away though in shops, shopping centres etc though.

Regarding masks, I wonder what impact is on the economy by people not wanting to wear them. To be clear I will wear one if am required to. But as I have breathing issues already it will stop me from leaving the house for anything but a weekly shop. I can work in the office or at home, my 2 days in the office will stop, no public transport fares, won't be buying coffee, lunch etc. No support of small business at the weekend etc. Goes without saying COVID is hurting the economy anyway but I wonder what the extra impact if there is a significant quantum that don't like masks.

Regarding masks, I wonder what impact is on the economy by people not wanting to wear them. To be clear I will wear one if am required to. But as I have breathing issues already it will stop me from leaving the house for anything but a weekly shop. I can work in the office or at home, my 2 days in the office will stop, no public transport fares, won't be buying coffee, lunch etc. No support of small business at the weekend etc. Goes without saying COVID is hurting the economy anyway but I wonder what the extra impact if there is a significant quantum that don't like masks.
I don't like wearing masks and just doing it per government directive.

One of the state medical people in a press conference said something like 99% of people will be able to safely wear so it shouldn't be a problem (excluding the children).

I personally don't really like wearing them (although it does scare some people away from me that are getting too close), would find it strange if someone did LOVE wearing them but what I like or don't like has no play in the matter in this sort of situation, period. What I LOVE is the fact that I'm helping in a small way remind people there is a pandemic about, protecting them if I happen to have it, and protecting myself a little too.

Last edited:
For those areas where community transmission is prevalent, my expectation is the economic impact of wearing masks will be substantially less than the economic impact of not wearing masks.

But as I have breathing issues already it will stop me from leaving the house for anything but a weekly shop.

In Vic you do not have to wear a face mask if you have a medical reason.

There will be some reasons not to wear a face covering. For example, those who have a medical reason, kids under 12 years of age, those who have a professional reason or if it’s just not practical, like when running – however you will still be expected to carry your face covering at all times to wear when you can.

Though perhaps if you want to avoid the likely glares if mandatory mask wearing comes in, perhaps a very light scarf may be an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back