Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
53% of people being tested NOT ISOLATING.

OMG.
We are surrounded by idiots. No wonder masks are being mandated and numbers haven't being coming down.

1000's supposed to be isolating in Sydney, so if that % carries over to Sydney, hundreds are roaming around potentially spreading...

It is truly unstoppable isn't it. Because of human behaviour (or refusal to change behaviuor)...

53% of people being tested NOT ISOLATING.

OMG.
We are surrounded by idiots. No wonder masks are being mandated and numbers haven't being coming down.
Furthermore, 90% of people who tested, didn't self-isolate between starting to feel sick and then proceeding to be tested. This makes me angry. So many of us are paying the price in many, many different ways for others to simply take a "she'll be right" attitude and screw us all over anyway.

I knew there were a lot of idiots around, but it's much worse than I thought. Plus, I guess the info is just still not getting through to them. I don't know what else can be done to those who are oblivious, plus the truly selfish ones. Vic has a 1800 ph no to help people with $$ who don't get paid to stay away from work. (Maybe other Sates and Territories too).

Think they need to hand out formal Stay at Home orders. If caught breaching then defined penalties.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Vic has a 1800 ph no to help people with $$ who don't get paid to stay away from work. (Maybe other Sates and Territories too).
Just watched the press conference. There's a fair implication that this is actually the issue. $$ are only available once you've tested positive and are paid for the duration of your isolation. If you're self-isolating (or meant to be) whilst awaiting results or whilst sick but before being tested then no such payment is available. Dan Andrews said this...

It’s probably better to focus on the type of worker rather than the work they’re doing. It won’t be exclusive, but there is a large proportion of these people who are making these choices because, in their judgement, they’ll look at their bank balance, they’ll look at the fact that if they don’t work the shift, they won’t get paid for the shift, they don’t have sick leave.

This is a commentary on insecure work. This is a commentary on this as a feature of the Victorian economy and our national economy. That debate, though, can wait. We can have that debate — it’s a very important debate to have — we can have that debate another time. In the meantime, though, trying to hone in on the problem, understand the problem, and then put in place specific measures to deal with it.

He then said that he's looking at ways to address this but they still need to work it through.

Just watched the press conference. There's a fair implication that this is actually the issue. $$ are only available once you've tested positive and are paid for the duration of your isolation. If you're self-isolating (or meant to be) whilst awaiting results or whilst sick but before being tested then no such payment is available. Dan Andrews said this...

He then said that he's looking at ways to address this but they still need to work it through.
A comment I heard on the radio when driving to work this morning was that many in regional Vic are waiting up to 7 days to get results - a long time to be in limbo

Andrews has just talked specifically about the aged-care sector where there was a disproportionately high number of people working whilst awaiting test results or whilst with symptoms and made the connection to insecure work conditions for these employees.

Dan Andrews said that people who are not feeling well and going to get tested are then going shopping, which we knew.
It's difficult if you wake up sick, anticipate going into lock down (maybe feeling very apprehensive), but don't have 14+ days of supplies.
There are so many difficult logistics on behalf of the great unwashed and the governments etc trying to anticipate the issues.

Plus, getting the testing covered and the results all over where ever the need pops up. I feel for all of them, except the the people in the hotel quarantine / lock down and their 'guards' who started this.

I feel for all of them, except the the people in the hotel quarantine
I feel for them. They were caught up travelling. This is a travel forum. Could have been any of us.
Post automatically merged:

Not just regional, TV waited almost 6 days, tested Sunday AM and results Friday bedtime. That's a whole working week gone.
That is just not on. But bravo to you both for doing the right thing. Next time, well, that would be just too much to ask.

Seems odd that he is indicated to see little benefit as doesn't the Tasmanian Government sponsor at least Hawthorn to play games in the state each year?

EDIT. Make that two teams as TT Lines which is wholly owned by the Tasmanian Government is the second largest sponsor of North Melbourne FC.

Yes, Tas govt sponsors Hawthorn for $millions pa; gets some games played in Launceston, but never a big match (I don't think Collingwood has ever played here). Nth Melbourne trying to get into the act by promising to play more matches here, in Hobart (regular season environment).

Hard to figure Gutwein out at the moment. He's extremely pro business and tourism is the greater part of the Tas economy. If football matches were played here, there would be 14 days quarantine for all to start with, lots of hotel rooms occupied on-going, and some sort of crowd would be able to go to the games.

Unfortunately, (in my opinion) the older-than-average Tas population is still overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the borders closed (as in, 14 days hotel quarantine on arrival; currently no Victorian residents allowed) and he may be looking at the 'optics' of letting the footballers in, even though they wouldn't get any quarantine favours. And football is of course associated with Victoria; only a minority here would realise that the football has been totally evacuated from Victoria, so letting footballers in would be seen as broaching Gutwein's 'no Victorians' rule.

Gutwein will be making an updated border announcement tomorrow. I reckon there is absolutely no justification in keeping the 'closed border' policy for SA, WA and QLD, at least. There are direct flights to Adelaide and Brisbane and people are allowed to transit Melbourne airport without invoking the 'no Victoria' ban. But I think he will again delay any opening, using the situation in Victoria as a reason (again).

I feel for them. They were caught up travelling. This is a travel forum. Could have been any of us.

You feel for the quarantine "guests" who allegedly fornicated with or at best just fraternized with the security guards? I don't think that could have been any of us.

I feel for those who stayed in quarantine and did the right thing. Not those who didn't.

ACT finally fined someone, Apparently a restaurant had had a number of warnings and continued to flout rules so they copped a $5,000 fine. They were limited to 12 diners because of their size but were allowing 20 in.

Zero cases in Canberra again. Apparently we have 80 people isolating who attended the club in Bateman’s Bya,

Well at least some of the increasing number of actors arriving in Australia to shoot movies (which is fantastic for our economy and in creating work for Aussies) are not staying in mansions and are just going through the normal hotel quarantine process.

As you suggest, there are exceptions ... :( :mad:

The sister of Australia’s favourite pint-sized singer dodged hotel quarantine and is self-isolating at a palatial Gold Coast home. Who does she think she is, Pistol and Boo? The Masked Singer judge arrived down under from the US last weekend, ahead of filming. The 48-year-old and her 10-year-old son Ethan were granted an exemption from the mandated 14-day lock-in — a double standard that seems to only apply to athletes, consular officials, defence force personnel and celebs.

ACT finally fined someone, Apparently a restaurant had had a number of warnings and continued to flout rules so they copped a $5,000 fine. They were limited to 12 diners because of their size but were allowing 20 in.

Zero cases in Canberra again. Apparently we have 80 people isolating who attended the club in Bateman’s Bya,
News story I saw said that police are refusing to name the venue. I seriously don't understand that. They should be named and shamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back