Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
News story I saw said that police are refusing to name the venue. I seriously don't understand that. They should be named and shamed.
well I feel the same, but they are very hesitant to do anything like that here :(. This is the very first COVID related fine that anyone (individual or business) has got, in spite of quite a lot of bad behaviour,

we did do nearly 1400 tests yesterday, which is way more that I have seen before, so that’s good.

News story I saw said that police are refusing to name the venue. I seriously don't understand that. They should be named and shamed.

In NSW they have reported the names of the venues which were fined, wonder why ACT feel the need for secracy?

You feel for the quarantine "guests" who allegedly fornicated with or at best just fraternized with the security guards? I don't think that could have been any of us
Of course I don’t feel for those travellers. Maybe there was only one who did that. The post I was referring to did not specify those but just said travellers and their guards. Unless the guards had sex with every traveller they guarded😱. I presumed they didn’t. 😉
Post automatically merged:

Especially when I hear people at work getting their results in a few hours. Heck, I got mine in less than 12 hours back in May.
It’s about 24 hours here currently and faster for kids.

In NSW they have reported the names of the venues which were fined, wonder why ACT feel the need for secracy?
They would be erring on the side of not destroying the business. I haven’t been to a restaurant since early March, but if I were to go, I wouldn’t go to any restaurant that was flouting rules. We are a very small population, so it wouldn’t take much to put a business out of operation. I guess as long as they keep checking the business (which they seem to), it’s OK.

So, the ACT business had a number of warnings before being fined $5000 - more idiots. But, 'they' will be on the list for checking again now.

Although I did hear somewhere today when channel surfing that a surprising amount of people don't have access / don't use computers.

But you can do an online shop or use uber eats and resolve that very quickly without exposing everyone is the supermarket.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

From CT on line, “Charcoal Restaurant in Civic has been slapped with a $5000 penalty.”.

They would be erring on the side of not destroying the business. I haven’t been to a restaurant since early March, but if I were to go, I wouldn’t go to any restaurant that was flouting rules. We are a very small population, so it wouldn’t take much to put a business out of operation. I guess as long as they keep checking the business (which they seem to), it’s OK.

Although I did hear somewhere today when channel surfing that a surprising amount of people don't have access / don't use computers.

I order my woollies / coles / uber eats / menulog / dominos / etc etc etc etc on apps on my phone. I haven't been in a supermarket for 4 months and I'm not sick and not been tested (no symptoms and not participated in any activity that would expose me to a close contact >15m- other than my domestic partner).

My 94yo pensioner mother orders her weekly shop & delivery over a phone call to her local IGA. She has a tablet and PC but rings and talks to the supermarket manager with zero issues for the last 2-3 years

People will always come up with an excuse to suit their selfish agenda - to travelling 90km for an "exercise walk", not wear a mask because its too uncomfortable or smudges my makeup, I need to go to the supermarket even if I'm sick, have a party at home for 20 people because I'm bored/stressed.

Last edited:
Oh dear.....

-----

185 people missing from COVID-19 quarantine after lying to Queensland border police

The hunt is on for almost 200 people who have disappeared from their COVID-19 quarantine after lying to police officers at Queensland's interstate and international boundaries.

Authorities discovered 185 people were missing after police officers conducted compliance checks on those supposed to be in mandatory self-quarantine after coming into Queensland.

Oh dear.....

-----

185 people missing from COVID-19 quarantine after lying to Queensland border police

The hunt is on for almost 200 people who have disappeared from their COVID-19 quarantine after lying to police officers at Queensland's interstate and international boundaries.

Authorities discovered 185 people were missing after police officers conducted compliance checks on those supposed to be in mandatory self-quarantine after coming into Queensland.

People are just unbelievably selfish. Hope they catch them all and give them huge fines :(

1 new case in SA today, contact tracing is underway to find this person’s movements
Lets just hope they dont follow the crows and attended the match.....or whomever they played over from Victoria.

This has come to the fore with expectations that parents will use internet to home school their children.

Lots of families just do not have even a basic computer.

Lack of affordable internet is a huge problem for poor people. At a time when incomes have either ceased or dropped a large amount due to lack of casual hours etc families are facing huge financial stresses.

With the return of 'mutual obligation' i.e. look for non-existent jobs, especially in Victoria, will see you fined if you leave the house for a non-approved reason and lose your Job Seeker if you don't.

While we're fortunate to have reliable internet, many people simply don't.

The pandemic is bringing job poverty to public attention.

While we're fortunate to have reliable internet, many people simply don't.

Oh, are you lucky enough not to switch to NBN yet? ;)

[worst thing to happen to my internet access in years, more expensive, repetitive dropouts, loss of service for several seconds in a row, not perceptibly faster than ADSL2 before (sometimes slower), my mobile on 4G is often faster ]

1 new case in SA today, contact tracing is underway to find this person’s movements
Two apparently. Past infection apparently as her child had covid some time ago and she has antibodies. The other was in quarantine and after two negatives in Melbourne. Thats the second time this has happened. She is without symptoms. I wonder if there is some difference in the way people are tested in Victoria?

Oh, are you lucky enough not to switch to NBN yet? ;)

I signed on to Aussie Broad Band HFC as soon as possible. I average about 46-47 Mbps download and 17-18 Mbps upload. Having WFH since early April it has worked wonderfully.

My best dial up speed was in the range of 3-4 Mbps.

So I am an NBN 'success story' noting the low speeds offered compared to overseas.

As other have stated if you dont have a computer you can order over the phone from IGA. There are also community projects for the vulnerable, where people will do a shop for you and leave it on your door step. There is more help tahn there has ever been for those who cant leave the house, so no excuse to go against order to go home after testing.

My employer works with a charity that collects older laptops from corporates who have done upgrades, and then rebuilds them and gives to children. Some of my dircet reports volunteer their time to rebuild these laptops, deliver and show kids how to use them, and provide help desk if they have issues. Since the pandemic started in March, my employer alone has donated over 500 laptops,

There are also state funded programs in Vic and NSW which were set up to get laptops (in particular to VCE/HSC) students who didnt have the means to do distance learning. The Project did a segment on this back in April.

The primary school my sister teaches at, made up packs of worksheets and printed content for younger studnets and posted them out. Whilst they did a few online sessions, noone was disadvantaged as everyone got paper based work to complete and reply paid envelopes to send it back.

Ok so here is the conundrum of zero under investigation By NSW Health.

On 11/7 they report the first instance of the Crossroad Hotel.

The overall summary states:

Confirmed cases to date
By likely source of infectionCount
Overseas
Interstate acquired
Locally acquired – contact of a confirmed case and/or in a known cluster
Locally acquired – contact not identified
Under investigation
Total
Counts reported for a particular day may vary over time with ongoing enhanced surveillance activities.

Over ensuing day numbers do come into the under investigation, and from my reading of the text of the daily reports during 11/7-22/7 up to 9 have been under investigation due to no link having been found.

But today the same table for today reads:

Confirmed cases to date

By likely source of infectionCount
Overseas
Interstate acquired
Locally acquired – contact of a confirmed case and/or in a known cluster
Locally acquired – contact not identified
Under investigation
Total
Counts reported for a particular day may vary over time with ongoing enhanced surveillance activities.

Also earlier in the text of today’s report it states (my bolding):

There have been no additional cases associated with the Batemans Bays Soldiers Club cluster today. Investigations are continuing into the original source of infection. There are now 53 cases associated with the Crossroads Hotel cluster, 37 cases associated with the Thai Rock restaurant and eight cases associated with the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club.

So confusing, but in summary, there have been Up to 9 cases under investigation (presumably for no link). At least 2 under investigation in NSW (The source of the Batemans Bay cluster, which I believe is a household of 2) but it’s not in that particular classification. So are the other 7 treated in a similar way or resolved or unresolved....the mystery continues.....

SMH Reports:
  • Nationwide there are 214 people with COVID-19 in hospital, which is an additional 31 people hospitalised since yesterday, according to Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Michael Kidd.
  • VIC - There are 205 people in hospital in Victoria. Among those in hospital there are 42 people in intensive care units, four more than yesterday. 25 people are reported to be on ventilators, which is three more than yesterday, he said.
  • NSW - 4 in hospital, 2 in ICU, Dr Chant said there are 91 patients being treated by NSW health. Two patients are in intensive care, including one person who is on ECMO
  • QLD - 2 in hospital
  • WA, Tas and NT all have 1 each in hospital
These are the largest ICU numbers we have had by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back