Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting piece on mask-wearing:

[Warning rant ahead]

Random self appointed experts and opinion writers / commentators are coming out of our ears.

If you watch News24 you will hear a half dozen different ones every day and some will tell you the sky is blue, some the sky is black and the rest its all various shades of the rainbow.

If wearing a mask scares off Richard Craniums standing next to me and encourages non-believers to revise their thinking that this is not just a little flu and even gives a 5% reduction in transmission in the community - then masks it is - and fine the hell out of those who look to find any little excuse to be obtuse, and express their individuality by doing their thing and bugger everyone else's chance to health and a virus free existence.

[Rant over]

Breaking
Guzman y Gomez Sydney restaurant on high alert over virus

A fast food restaurant in Sydney’s south-west is on high alert after recording a case of coronavirus.

The Mexican fast food restaurant is just the latest in the area to be linked to the virus, with over 50 cases now linked to the Crossroads Hotel in Casula.

It comes as a Sydney Thai restaurant emerged as a COVID-19 hotspot, after an explosion of cases made it the second biggest active cluster in the state.

1595457284856.jpeg

An interesting piece on mask-wearing:

Interesting, and makes some valid points about it being a distraction. But it's a tool in the armory, and much easier to police than for example trying to enforce a law that people with symptoms must stay isolated.

The other thing, the piece seems to come from the perspective that masks are all about protecting the wearer. Citing studies that seem to discuss the protection (or perhaps lack of protection) afforded to an individual wearing a mask when sick people are not. Also, for example mentioning "If wearing a mask would make you feel safe, do it!". It's well established that masks don't offer the wearer full, effective protection from what others may be breathing out from their bodies. But in this situation it's not about protecting the wearer, it's about preventing the transmisson from the wearer to others. So if everyone is wearing mask there are two effects, the reduction in outflow and (a smaller) reduction in inflow. If not everyone is wearing one, the benefits are diminished significantly.

Only a matter of time now I suspect... another blow to the airlines as well

——-
Sydney 'hot spot' declaration looms

All of Sydney could be declared a "hot spot" as early as tomorrow, a report in the Courier Mail newspaper suggests.

NSW has experienced an explosion of cases, with thousands now in home isolation across the city.

Sources within Queensland Police told the newspaper that community transmission of the virus in a number of locations around NSW could lead Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to shut the border to southern states.

“There is no way that more hot spots are not going to be declared, and all of Sydney would definitely be a consideration given what’s happening down there,” a senior police source told The Courier-Mail.

Thinking about those being regarded as selfish in not isolating, on FB people are reporting that it is taking up to four days to get an appointment for a test then up to another five days to get the result. Maybe you might go through that process once, maybe, but if in three weeks later you develop another set of symptoms, how is this the best way to combat a pandemic? Of course once positive then it is a case of selfish, and the payment kicks in, but after 9 days you have a negative and have potentially lost a fortnight income.

Though the writer of the article linked by JohnM had studied the evidence on mask wearing which most commentators have not done.The article was based a lot on the work of 2 professors at Bond University-one of Medicine the other of Public Health who did the work on looking at research on mask wearing and prevention of respiratory infections.Posting 2 links as each article gives slightly different summaries of their work.

Now the research at Bond University was first published in early April when the circumstances were totally different from now.Interestingly they also put out another press release that didn't get much press but really should have been taken notice of.
So in the next pandemic it is likely we will be having the same arguments re mask wearing etc.

Then there is this summary of expert opinion in Australia.

Interesting most did not go for mandatory mask wearing in Melbourne.Two of the most insistent on mandatory masks were an IVF expert and the Uni of NSW Law faculty.
There are other factors that often are not mentioned.For health staff looking after Covid patients masks are just one part of PPE.Goggles are also worn as infection can enter through the eyes.Plus protective clothing.

The other lesson that hasn't been learn't is proper protection for those in Aged Care facilities.In Melbourne early this month PPE should have been supplied to Aged Care facilities to be worn by staff and visitors to try and stop the introduction of Covid to the facility.In most cases it is a worker often working at more than one facility who initially introduces the infection.

The other problem is that with the mandatory wearing of masks in Melbourne they are policing the less important times to wear a mask.Most large public indoor gatherings are in lockdown but still places like supermarkets where they are needed.But it is the indoor private meetings where most of the virus has been shared.Obviously impossible to properly enforce this area.

Only a matter of time now I suspect

Indeed , we have been enjoying the last of our freedom here in Brisvegas before the second wave swamps us.
How long is moot..if the bug already has a beach head established.. maybe a few weeks.
It does take time for it to spread though, so perhaps we have a month or so before Armageddon arrives.

There seems a fair argument that all this pain Nationally has really gained us little ; it has destroyed a decade of assiduous financial gardening and left the youngsters with the mother of all debt mountains to climb.

I guess we had to try…...☠

Thinking about those being regarded as selfish in not isolating, on FB people are reporting that it is taking up to four days to get an appointment for a test then up to another five days to get the result. Maybe you might go through that process once, maybe, but if in three weeks later you develop another set of symptoms, how is this the best way to combat a pandemic? Of course once positive then it is a case of selfish, and the payment kicks in, but after 9 days you have a negative and have potentially lost a fortnight income.
I was reflecting on this too. Early on I saw a piece on The Project where Waleed was talking about the impact of COVID on the homeless population and how it could become a serious vector to spread in the community. He signed off with a statement that "for the first time, their problem is now our problem." It really struck a chord with me.

I feel like this is another such circumstance. I don't suppose there's many meat workers, long-haul freight drivers, aged-care workers or other 'high touch'/'high mobility' yet low job security workers here on AFF. Out of the literally thousands of people I know, I can think of only one who works in any such industry. That's a little bit humbling.

Yet my business is suffering precisely because of the issues coming out of Victoria right now. The road to recovery for me (and I suspect for many others around the nation), is significantly influenced by getting this under control. Their problem is now my problem...

Last edited:
The messages are certainly contradictionary with no mask or distancing and not much crititsm:

Mr Morrison was photographed without a face mask at the Cronulla Sharks and Penrith Panthers match at Kogarah Oval in NSW on July 11.

The official crowd attendance at the game was 3277, while 4000 people have registered their interest in attending the BLM rally.

I was reflecting on this too. Early on I saw a piece on The Project where Waleed was talking about the impact of COVID on the homeless population and how it could become a serious vector to spread in the community. He signed off with a statement that "for the first time, their problem is now our problem." It really struck a chord with me.

I feel like this is another such circumstance. I don't suppose there's many meat workers, long-haul freight drivers, aged-care workers or other 'high touch'/'high mobility' yet low job security workers here on AFF. Out of the literally thousands of people I know, I can think of only one who works in any such industry. That's a little bit humbling.

Yet my business is suffering precisely because of the issues coming out of Victoria right now. The road to recovery for me (and I suspect for many others around the nation), is significantly influenced by getting this under control. Their problem is now my problem...
While we have currently have unheard of freedoms in SA, our business clients and friends are in Victoria and ACT and when they started to sneeze as far back as February then we caught the cold. It’s always been our problem. Unfortunately many SA people are too smug and comfy under their doonas and want to keep it like that forever. They don’t seem to get that maybe unlike WA, SA needs our Eastern states.

However even in the first wave it was not the case of hospitals not allowing medical staff to wear masks. Adequate PPE was in limited supply and so yes care and rationing had to be taken at the extremely early stages as supply was limited. Particularly as some patients were stealing both masks and hand sanitiser. however community spread was very low and so risk was also fortunately low.

What I'm hearing from friends is that even if you BYO masks, you are not allowed to wear them during work.

I’m currently enjoying a few days in NSW before the likely border being closed again, not going as far as Sydney, but if you were in Sydney now looking to visit family in Qld I would be going there now and not leaving it any longer

They don’t seem to get that maybe unlike WA, SA needs our Eastern states.

WA 100% needs the eastern states, they just don't know it. Look at all the produce that is shipped every hour of every day across there to keep them quite literally alive. Anyway it doesn't matter, I'm sick to death of hearing about these state v state snipes and running tally boards, commentary. Politicians, media -just want to make me throw up 🤮

The messages are certainly contradictionary with no mask or distancing and not much crititsm:

Mr Morrison was photographed without a face mask at the Cronulla Sharks and Penrith Panthers match at Kogarah Oval in NSW on July 11.

The official crowd attendance at the game was 3277, while 4000 people have registered their interest in attending the BLM rally.

I point out that Crossroads hotel just started to be detected and we are now almost 2 weeks down the track, with visitors to 8 venues under Phase 2 conditions (test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptoms or result) and visitors to more than 20 venues under Phase 1 conditions (watch for symptoms). Most importantly we have had up to 9 cases (under investigation) apparently with no obvious link to known case/cluster.

....and a recommendation to wear masks.

The message and optics need to be consistent.
There is heaps of criticism of the original BLM marches ‘giving the wrong message‘ which were a lot earlier than “almost 2 weeks ago”.

I point out that Crossroads hotel just started to be detected and we are now almost 2 weeks down the track, with visitors to 8 venues under Phase 2 conditions (test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptoms or result) and visitors to more than 20 venues under Phase 1 conditions (watch for symptoms). Most importantly we have had up to 9 cases (under investigation) apparently with no obvious link to known case/cluster.

....and a recommendation to wear masks.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Only a matter of time now I suspect
Indeed , we have been enjoying the last of our freedom here in Brisvegas before the second wave swamps us.

Arguably the first wave for all of AU moving around now I guess.

I was speaking to my overseas counterpart in the UK, they personally know 12 people who have had it, several in their own team. In their circles, thankfully all have been mild and recovered quickly except one 90 year old neighbour with prexistings who passed away sadly - but they were saying the effect of living through a first 'real' wave is that people are no longer really afraid of the virus over there. They've accepted it and are having more practical discussions and actions on what to do next. Unlike here. I feel we are now actually about 6 months BEHIND the rest of the world in that respect.

It is a interesting predicament we are in now as the virus slowly/quickly (relative) creeps and spreads around the other states, NSW it will spread widely soon, ACT only a matter of time, QLD probably in a month or so.....

But I feel its about time we had some grown up discussions with big girl/boy pants on to actually what on earth we do next.

I might post in the other 'Coming out of COVID' thread - more dedicated to what comes next.

Last edited:
What I'm hearing from friends is that even if you BYO masks, you are not allowed to wear them during work.

Sorry are we still talking hospitals and now?

Hospitals all have ample PPE stocks. There is no need to for BYO PPE. Indeed there would be risks with BYO PPE.
However as of today staff will need to wear facemasks to and from work.

Depending on what the staff member is doing different levels PPE will be worn while at work. During a shift it will all have to be discarded and replaced multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back