Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least some of the increasing number of actors arriving in Australia to shoot movies (which is fantastic for our economy and in creating work for Aussies) are not staying in mansions and are just going through the normal hotel quarantine process.

Jane Seymour has made the most of her first 10 days of quarantine in Sydney, before she begins shooting a new Australian film under strict COVID-19 regulations next week.
Making the most of quarantine: actor Jane Seymour, who took this photo of herself, has been painting in her Sydney hotel room after arriving from Los Angeles. She starts shooting new Australian film Ruby's Choice the morning after she gets out.

Making the most of quarantine: actor Jane Seymour, who took this photo of herself, has been painting in her Sydney hotel room after arriving from Los Angeles. She starts shooting new Australian film Ruby's Choice the morning after she gets out.

The British-American actor, who kickstarted her international career playing Solitaire in the Bond movie Live and Let Die then went on to play the likes of Marie Antoinette, Maria Callas, Wallis Simpson and Dr Michaela Quinn, Medicine Woman, is grateful for the chance to shoot a film during the pandemic.

"Nobody is able to make anything right now and California has got worse since I came here so I consider myself extraordinarily fortunate to be making such a beautiful movie, with really talented Australians, on the outskirts of Sydney," she said.

But quarantine was tough initially. And in a small hotel room, certainly not glamorous

"It's taken a lot of getting used to," Seymour said. "First of all the aeroplane only had 50 people on it and the airport was pretty much empty. The minute we landed, we were treated like we were presidents or something.

"We were told 'you go here, you go there, you do this, you do that'. I was trying to carry two bags that I couldn't lift and obviously no one could touch your bags ... It took about three-and-a-half hours just to get to the hotel – they wouldn't tell which hotel you were going to – and you don't sit near anybody. Then they take you up one at a time.

"There's the army, there's the police, there's guns, there's process, then you get put in a room with no key and they close the door."
Food is dropped off at meal times without any contact.

"You don't actually see human beings for two weeks and you can't get fresh air," Seymour said. "Sadly I'm looking at the back side of someone else's buildings. But it works and that's a very, very good thing so I have no complaints."
When she injured her leg exercising, Seymour spent 12 hours at an intensive care quarantine unit before returning to the hotel.

She described Ruby's Choice as "a film that matters" because of its subject, with dementia affecting one of her uncles as well as country singer Glen Campbell, who was the subject of a documentary Seymour produced.

"It shows you how it impacts an average family and how it impacts them actually for the better ultimately," she said. Jacqueline McKenzie plays her character's daughter with Coco Jack Gillies as her granddaughter.

Seymour hopes to get out of quarantine on Sunday in time to try on costumes and meet the hair and make-up team before filming starts the following morning.

Life in lockdown improved when she was able to get a coffee machine and could supplement hotel food with Uber Eats. When frustrated, she paints what she calls her "squiggle paintings".

"I just close my eyes and run the black marker all over the page until I want to stop," she said. "Then I turn it around and try to turn it into something. I've got a whole series of them so something very good has come out of my quarantine."

PS. Well for Jane's sake (as well as everyone in NSW) I hope that Sydney does not need go into lockdown by Sunday when she gets out.

480. Numbers were hoped to be coming down by now? Possibly clusters in aged care homes. Which means additional call on hospital resources. Sad times.

NSW seems to be holding steady. For now.

COVID live is reporting it as well - as soon as I heard Andrews was postponing his presser I knew it would be bad. :(

COVID live is reporting it as well - as soon as I heard Andrews was postponing his presser I knew it would be bad. :(

Postponing probably means that they are considering/discussing harsher restrictions. They may or may not announce them today though.

Unfortunately I think many will not have appreciated initially the difference in this wave with the first wave in that this time it was all community spread and so this has meant that whatever the case numbers were per day that there was a lot more infectious people out and about than in the first wave.

Personally I went in strict lockdown well before the government did. I suspect that a significant number of people probably have not appreciated the serious difference till about a week ago when large numbers consistently kept coming out.

Last edited:
I think the irony of masks is that employers will force more work in the workplace, which will defy the Vic Premier saying ’if you can work from home, you must work from home”.

At what point do we need measures to stop people moving or being moved between like facilities? Difficult to achieve I guess. It seems the latest "blindspot" in all this is lots of legal movement (for one of the four reasons) of people that is spreading the virus like wildfire.

# VIC update TBC. 480+ cases expected
* NSW 16 new cases, 1 previous excluded
At least NSW does not appear to have any more under investigation from today’s report of new cases

edit to add detail courtesy of abc COVID live blog

Breaking down those 16 new cases in NSW

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant breaks down these new cases:

• Three are linked to the Crossroads Hotel cluster
  • Eleven are to the Thai Rock cluster, including a man from the Hunter region
  • There's one case in Western Sydney, which has been linked to another known case
  • And one case is from hotel quarantine

Last edited:
I think the irony of masks is that employers will force more work in the workplace,

Why?

It has been again emphasised this week that employers cannot compel staff to do so plus there is now a workplace blitz on, and the government have been making examples of lawyers etc who had been moving staff back to the office.

Employees too who may have been fairly compliant to return to workplaces several weeks ago, will this week be a lot less willing to do so and most likely will be dobbing in any employer who tries it on.

With the surge on it would be a great surprise to me if from tomorrow that any employer will up their numbers of employees who have to attend a workplace rather than work from home.

PS> I know with my daughter's new job at Suncorp that she was originally meant to have 3 weeks onsite training/ induction, but this was altered just before last week when she commenced to be 1 day on onsite training with the balance of the training all now to be done at home. Her 3 month contract will all be at home.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

According to ABC TV, over half of Vic’s active cases are likely to be still classed as under investigation because they haven’t found links. Apparently almost 2000 cases.

From what I remember NSW had/has 9 under investigation, but it’s current total as of yesterday’s media release) is 0. I’m not sure whether they’ve given up or what because they haven’t detailed the outcome (from what I’ve been able to find).

ut as I have breathing issues already it will stop me from leaving the house for anything but a weekly shop

You could use a face shield instead - as doesnt interfere with breathing - but still stops droplet transmission, and carry a doctir's note re your breathing issues.

According to ABC TV, over half of Vic’s active cases are likely to be still classed as under investigation because they haven’t found links. Apparently almost 2000 cases.

From what I remember NSW had/has 9 under investigation, but it’s current total as of yesterday’s media release) is 0. I’m not sure whether they’ve given up or what because they haven’t detailed the outcome (from what I’ve been able to find).

They will not have given up. But remember there has now been 2000 cases in the last 7 days and so cases "under investigation" are not going to be near zero.

Dr Kerry Chant mentioned this morning its the Bateman's Bay cluster that has unknown origin at the movement. Gladys also commented that some onfection has been from region to Sydney but didnt say which ones.

The Church outbreak has been linked back to the Thai restaurant.

Today's positivity rate in Vic is a massive 1.82%.

That is 1 in 55 people returning a positive result. :(

Hospital cases still climbing as well which sadly is to be expected.

VIC HOSPITALISED
Cases in Hospital
DATEHOSPICUVENT
Thu 16 Jul1092922
Fri 17 Jul1223122
Sat 18 Jul1102518
Sun 19 Jul1302818
Mon 20 Jul1473116
Tue 21 Jul1743622
Wed 22 Jul2054022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back