Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only good news today, if you can call it that, is that the 459 cases are from a massive 42,973 tests. Positivity rate of 1.02 %

That is the most test results made known on a single day yet in Victoria. The second highest was on 10 July of 37,588

Note that test results are a mixture of actual days as test results are not all known within 24 hours. What is not available is results per day of person tested. We only have results as per day that test result is made known.

VIC POSITIVE TESTS
Daily Cases Net / Daily Tests
DATECASESTESTSPOS
Mon 20 Jul24626,5880.93 %
Tue 21 Jul34729,4641.18 %
Wed 22 Jul45024,7261.82 %
Thu 23 Jul38627,1511.42 %
Fri 24 Jul28024,1181.16 %
Sat 25 Jul33920,3131.67 %
Sun 26 Jul43742,9731.02 %

Just saw that - they just aren’t getting anywhere :(.

Well you can argue actually yes they are getting somewhere becauuse the numbers aren’t increasing every day exponentially. And the amount of tests they did were absolutely staggering.

They’ve managed to keep it stable, but suspect it will be a few weeks yet before they can actually start to see some significant reductions - you just have to look at the closed environs in which the virus has penetrated to see that there are a lot more cases to come now still.

NSW probably needs to step up their testing.... I suspect that’s a sleeper right now...

Wonder if people will still turn up...

Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney blocked after Supreme Court win for police

Police in New South Wales have won a Supreme Court bid to prohibit a Black Lives Matter march in Sydney.

Key points:
  • NSW Police took Black Lives Matter march organisers to court over concerns the event would breach public health orders
  • March organisers have said it will go ahead despite today's outcome
  • Organisers will appeal the decision
More than 4,000 people had indicated they would attend the gathering at Town Hall on Tuesday afternoon.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Apparently every single person who attended any of the 5 Sydney services where the infected staff member worked (assumed they are a Funeral Director or similar) are considered close contacts and all must isolate.

This is therefore probably the beginning of another large cluster developing in Sydney.

Apparently every single person who attended any of the 5 Sydney services where the infected staff member worked (assumed they are a Funeral Director or similar) are considered close contacts and all must isolate.

This is therefore probably the beginning of another large cluster developing in Sydney.
Not necessarily. In Canberra one of our 5 recent cases went into a restaurant they were going to be working in. It was a new restaurant and still being fitted out so a lot of people in there - management, staff and fit out/construction workers. All were considered close contacts and had to quarantine for 14 days, but no one else developed it, It will come down to how close people got to her - if she was a funeral director they tend to be in the back ground, but I guess there are a lot of potential infection points. Condolence books, etc.

Agree. It is a very complex situation. I have posted here many many times i am never going into a nursing home. I was actually in a way angry when my mother chose to enter one as i didnt even want to set foot in one. But i had to reconcile there wasnt much choice given her health. But these days the emphasis is very much on providing full support for people in their own homes. That is the only way to go for the current "boomer" generation.

One of our clients is in this industry and lets say it will be a very challenging few years ahead for them. Already is. If its any consolation even those homes not impacted are feeling an awful burden right now. There are no "winners" here.
My current position is in the area handling the funding In Home Aged Care, though specifically the Home Support Programme (not Home Care Packages though that's also on the same floor). CHSP is the largest funded program in AU, with over 1400 different providers. A growing area. We will have had an extra $70 M over 6 months to help providers keep delivering services. Been flat out.
Luckily being in home care, we haven't had the problems that resi has been experiencing. I am glad my mother has been able to stay home so far even now when her usual carer is away for 6 weeks. Think she is safer at home than in respite.

I still feel common sense should have said provide PPE to nursing home staff when the pandemic first hit but cetainly in the last 4-6 weeks in Victoria and the last 1-2 weeks in NSW.The residents are by far the most likely to die.

The other problem appears to be that Victoria's contact tracing service has been overwhelmed and not keeping up.

1595739917168.png.

Wonder if people will still turn up...

Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney blocked after Supreme Court win for police

Police in New South Wales have won a Supreme Court bid to prohibit a Black Lives Matter march in Sydney.

Key points:
  • NSW Police took Black Lives Matter march organisers to court over concerns the event would breach public health orders
  • March organisers have said it will go ahead despite today's outcome
  • Organisers will appeal the decision
More than 4,000 people had indicated they would attend the gathering at Town Hall on Tuesday afternoon.

Let see how the Possible appeal goes.

i think Last time, the police won but lost on appeal

I still feel common sense should have said provide PPE to nursing home staff when the pandemic first hit but cetainly in the last 4-6 weeks in Victoria and the last 1-2 weeks in NSW.The residents are by far the most likely to die.

The other problem appears to be that Victoria's contact tracing service has been overwhelmed and not keeping up.

View attachment 223346.

Commonsense does not prevail in hospitals and aged care if say a healthcare worker brings their own mask To use at work.

its possibly legally a breach of OH&S (or something like that) To use your own mask in such settings as an employyee/staff. Something I gather about the employer cannot be assured you are using proper equipment and such.

and I’m talking about the period before the State Government mandated them for those settings or while in public.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. In Canberra one of our 5 recent cases went into a restaurant they were going to be working in. It was a new restaurant and still being fitted out so a lot of people in there - management, staff and fit out/construction workers. All were considered close contacts and had to quarantine for 14 days, but no one else developed it, It will come down to how close people got to her - if she was a funeral director they tend to be in the back ground, but I guess there are a lot of potential infection points. Condolence books, etc.
I hope flyingmermaid is right, but in the case of the funeral services there have already been 4 cases of actual transmission, meaning that it’s a proven infectious period. every instance in NSW of such Actual transmission has made it to Phase 2 (test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptoms and result).

hope it’s A better outcome than Batesman Bay which got to 8 Cases in the cluster

Commonsense does not prevail in hospitals and aged care if say a healthcare worker brings their own mask To use at work.

its possibly legally a breach of OH&S (or something like that) To use your own mask in such settings an employyee/staff. Something I gather about the employer cannot be assured you are using proper equipment and such.

and I’m talking about the period before he State Government mandated them for those settings or while in public.
I was certainly supplied with PPE in Bundaberg in March and Launceston in April as were other hospital staff.

I hope flyingmermaid is right, but in the case of the funeral services there have already been 4 cases of actual transmission, meaning that it’s a proven infectious period. every instance in NSW of such Actual transmission has made it to Phase 2 (test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptoms and result).

hope it’s A better outcome than Batesman Bay which got to 8 Cases in the cluster
Well hoping for a few rather than a large cluster - Thai Rock and Crossroads were what I call large, getting under 10 is manageable.

Agree. It is a very complex situation. I have posted here many many times i am never going into a nursing home. I was actually in a way angry when my mother chose to enter one as i didnt even want to set foot in one. But i had to reconcile there wasnt much choice given her health. But these days the emphasis is very much on providing full support for people in their own homes. That is the only way to go for the current "boomer" generation.

One of our clients is in this industry and lets say it will be a very challenging few years ahead for them. Already is. If its any consolation even those homes not impacted are feeling an awful burden right now. There are no "winners" here.
My current position is in the area handling the funding In Home Aged Care, though specifically the Home Support Programme (not Home Care Packages though that's also on the same floor). CHSP is the largest funded program in AU, with over 1400 different providers. A growing area. We will have had an extra $70 M over 6 months to help providers keep delivering services. Been flat out.
Luckily being in home care, we haven't had the problems that resi has been experiencing. I am glad my mother has been able to stay home so far even now when her usual carer is away for 6 weeks. Think she is safer at home than in respite.

Home care isn't always that caring, or even monitored, qualified, registered or quality checked. Just "gimme the government money". I had a close accountant friend years ago who said it was the best business he had ever been involved in, made a mint and retired very early - the nursing home business.

Last edited:
Home care isn't always that caring, or even monitored, qualified, registered or quality checked. Just "gimme the government money". I had a close accountant friend years ago who said it was the best business he had ever been involved in, made a mint and retired very early - the nursing home business.

I certainly would not disagree that there are some providers out there who are in it for the money but there are also a lot of small groups, especially those which are mainly volunteer based/delivering services to CALD clients/in country towns who do a wonderful job. Can't tar them all with the same brush. Nursing homes (i.e. resi care) are a different kettle of fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back