Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should pray for hail, thunder and lightning.
The current forecast for Tuesday (which is when I think it’s planned for)
Is 17 degrees, wind 42km/h, humidity 76% and 70% precipitation

Unfortunately the severe weather warning for tomorrow doesn’t seem to extend to Tuesday yet.

In Victorian hospitals, management’s commonsense only kicked in towards the end of the first week of July.

I was told on 1st July that major hospital staff had to adhere to heightened protocols. One of which was to wear facemasks for the entire time at work in any clinical settings and also around staff and not just patients. Things escalated quickly after that and protocols have been progressively updated.

I posted on this in early July.

Last edited:
The current forecast for Tuesday (which is when I think it’s planned for)
Is 17 degrees, wind 42km/h, humidity 76% and 70% precipitation

Unfortunately the severe weather warning for tomorrow doesn’t seem to extend to Tuesday yet.

Appeal will be heard today for the Sydney protest.

Given there are inner city clusters developing seems a bit silly to let any mass gathering occur.

Thai Rock Potts Point is under watch

NSW Health is directing everyone who attended the Thai Rock Restaurant at Potts Point for two hours or more between Wednesday, 15 July and Saturday, 25 July to immediately be tested for COVID-19 and self-isolate for 14 days since they were last there, regardless of symptoms.

Anyone who attended Thai Rock Potts Point for less than two hours on these dates should monitor for symptoms and immediately isolate and seek testing if they appear.

...along with a few other restaurants and a school

- An Restaurant Bankstown on 23 July, from 9-11am
- Tan Viet Noodle House (AKA Crispy Chicken Noodle House) Cabramatta on the 22 July, from 1-2pm.
- Georges River Grammar School in Georges Hall

More worrying is that there is actually no link established between the two Thai restaurants, the contact tracers are starting to get swamped in NSW, with 2 more restaurants closed this morning.

They have to try and cover 10 days worth of infection possibility in that restaurant and this is also in the past so those hundreds of people have already gone on to spread as well. It honestly feels NSW is edging towards a case explosion, it just has to hit a nursing home or abbatoir...

Continued idiotic behaviour:

Multiple people fined in NSW over weekend

Police issued tens of thousands of dollars in fines for breaches of coronavirus restrictions over the weekend, including to a group at a bush rave.

Twelve people aged in their 20s and 30s were hit with $1000 infringements at a pop-up dance party in the bush near Lake Jindabyne on Friday night.

Police say some 200 were in attendance.
The River Inn hotel in Thredbo was visited by officers on Saturday, who detected a number of breaches of social distancing rules.

The owner was warned but when police returned later, punters were observed again breaking the rules.
The licensee was issued two $5000 fines and a tour operator who brought a large number of patrons to the venue was fined $5000

Last edited:
I won’t post the news.com.au link but apparently NSW cabinet think they can handle 250 per day before they would action a lockdown. Of course subject to advice from NSW CHO, who seems a bit more cautious

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Management of the Colac abattoir situation seems extremely poor with people being tested but told they didnt need to be isolated (when was that ever right.🤬) and presumably went back to normal business including going to the pub amd supermarket. I have family in Colac. Everyone knows everyone. So its on my radar.

When the baggage handlers in SA started testing positive and tracing showed there were issues, Qantas and SA Health dragged everyone (600+) off the job and into isolation until they had all been tested. That was back in late March. Why arent workplaces interstate doing the same especially where the environment is a known risk one?

This seems like a volcano about to erupt and management has gone against everything we know about managing this virus.

Seems to me that "Government" ..should have been firmer with all employers…..all carrot and no stick…

Chatter this morning was between 530-550. I hope not but testing numbers are very high so it’s possible I guess

Management of the Colac abattoir situation seems extremely poor with people being tested but told they didnt need to be isolated (when was that ever right.🤬) and presumably went back to normal business including going to the pub amd supermarket. I have family in Colac. Everyone knows everyone. So its on my radar.

When the baggage handlers in SA started testing positive and tracing showed there were issues, Qantas and SA Health dragged everyone (600+) off the job and into isolation until they had all been tested. That was back in late March. Why arent workplaces interstate doing the same especially where the environment is a known risk one?

This seems like a volcano about to erupt and management has gone against everything we know about managing this virus.

Its patiently against the rules - a person tested need to isolate while waiting for test results.

Since business can get fined, there seems a possibility the business could get a fine.

But a fine is not really even a small comfort when other lives are put at risk.

Seems to me that "Government" ..should have been firmer with all employers…..all carrot and no stick…

Perhaps name and shame more, but I’m not sure what you are thinking - jail time?

Well a stick might arise soon (although I personally think it unlikely).

Since masks are now said to be Melbourne’s stage 4 restrictions, I don’t feel there is much left in the suite of tools to control this except ‘Stage 5‘ shutting all non-essential business down like in NZ (ie only supermarket, fuel, hospitals, etc).

Its patiently against the rules - a person tested need to isolate while waiting for test results.

Since business can get fined, there seems a possibility the business could get a fine.

But a fine is not really even a small comfort when other lives are put at risk.
Except that the business has been complaining they are not informed.It wasn't until the secoind positive and the worker telling his boss that they knew of the problem.then they took a long time to reply to his queries.this has been posted before.The Age has written on this at least twice.
Victorian contract tracing has obviously been overwhelmed.

Except that the business has been complaining they are not informed.It wasn't until the secoind positive and the worker telling his boss that they knew of the problem.then they took a long time to reply to his queries.this has been posted before.The Age has written on this at least twice.
Victorian contract tracing has obviously been overwhelmed.
I take your point at the early stage/outset - fair enough. But I thought Pushka Is saying it’s still happening now.

As best as I can recall there are about 40 cases now, so to say to someone in this circumstance that it’s ok to work while waiting a test result is patently wrong.

I take your point at the early stage/outset - fair enough. But I thought Pushka Is saying it’s still happening now.

As best as I can recall there are about 40 cases now, so to say to someone in this circumstance that it’s ok to work while waiting a test result is patently wrong.
It is happening now.
CRITICAL DAYS LOST IN COLAC VIRUS FIGHT
Critical days were lost in the fight against the spread of COVID-19 across regional Victoria when Colac abattoir workers were told they did not need to isolate while awaiting test results.

Workers went to pubs, supermarkets and moved about the town for two days after being tested following a positive confirmed case at the lamb processor on Friday, July 17.

Queensland being as helpful as usual.... Anna's finished off her cakes at morning tea, got annoyed Tasmania has 'slammed the border shut' on us and is now threatening to 'slam the border shut' completely on NSW... Honestly, use better words and act like a leader....

'We will not hesitate to slam the border shut': Queensland Premier warns NSW

The Queensland Premier will not hesitate to "slam the border shut" if there is widespread community transmission or cluster outbreaks in New South Wales.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says she and her health advisers are monitoring the situation in NSW closely every day.

"If there are outbreaks of community transmission or it cannot be sourced or there are clusters, we will not hesitate to declare hotspots or we will not hesitate, if it gets out of control, to slam the border shut," she says.

It is happening now.
CRITICAL DAYS LOST IN COLAC VIRUS FIGHT
Critical days were lost in the fight against the spread of COVID-19 across regional Victoria when Colac abattoir workers were told they did not need to isolate while awaiting test results.

Workers went to pubs, supermarkets and moved about the town for two days after being tested following a positive confirmed case at the lamb processor on Friday, July 17.
The same article places the ’blame‘ with incorrect classification by DHHS, not management.

A flyer handed to workers on the Friday by testers from Colac Area Health, on the advice of DHHS, informed workers they did not need to isolate. They were not deemed close contacts.

“It may take a few days for your test results to come back,” the flyer read.

“You do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your results if you are feeling well.”

But that advice was changed two days later by Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton who reclassified all 750 workers as close contacts.

The same article places the ’blame‘ with incorrect classification by DHHS, not management.

A flyer handed to workers on the Friday by testers from Colac Area Health, on the advice of DHHS, informed workers they did not need to isolate. They were not deemed close contacts.

“It may take a few days for your test results to come back,” the flyer read.

“You do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your results if you are feeling well.”

But that advice was changed two days later by Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton who reclassified all 750 workers as close contacts.
Sorry don’t know Vic acronyms. But who is DHHS?

In reality everyone must surely know by now that whatever the circumstances of the test (eg arranged it personally without any other official involvement,) it is isolation until result is known.

I didnt associate management of the company with incorrect advice but presumed that Vic Health would be over over it.

Queensland being as helpful as usual.... Anna's finished off her cakes at morning tea, got annoyed Tasmania has 'slammed the border shut' on us and is now threatening to 'slam the border shut' completely on NSW... Honestly, use better words and act like a leader....

'We will not hesitate to slam the border shut': Queensland Premier warns NSW

The Queensland Premier will not hesitate to "slam the border shut" if there is widespread community transmission or cluster outbreaks in New South Wales.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says she and her health advisers are monitoring the situation in NSW closely every day.

"If there are outbreaks of community transmission or it cannot be sourced or there are clusters, we will not hesitate to declare hotspots or we will not hesitate, if it gets out of control, to slam the border shut," she says.

Clearly Qld have not been reading or watching the NSW reports....there have been up to 15 cases reported as ‘under investigation’.
Qld has got AFL. I guess it’s waiting for NRL, Rugby and soccer/football before closing the borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back