Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's Vic DHHS report:

My bolding

Media release
26 July 2020

Victoria has recorded 459 new cases of coronavirus since yesterday, with the total number of cases now at 8,181.
The overall total has increased by 437 due to 22 cases being reclassified – largely due to duplication.
Within Victoria, 82 of the new cases are linked to outbreaks or complex cases and 377 are under investigation.

There have been ten new deaths from COVID-19 reported since yesterday. They were seven men and three women. Seven were linked to known aged care outbreaks. Of the women who died, 2 were in their 80s, and one in her 70s. Of the seven men, three were in their 70s, two in their 80s, one in his 60s and one in his 40s.

To date, 71 people have died from coronavirus in Victoria.
Six of these deaths have been linked to aged care facilities. (My comment: This does not seem to line up with known deaths in aged care facilities including the 7 mentioned just above)

In Victoria at the current time:

• 1,253 cases may indicate community transmission
  • 4,233 cases are currently active in Victoria
  • 228 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including 42 in intensive care
  • 3,680 people have recovered from the virus
  • Of the total cases, 7,575 cases are from metropolitan Melbourne, while 448 are from regional Victoria
  • Total cases include 4,088 men and 4,001 women
  • More than 1,500,500 tests have been processed
  • There are currently 560 active cases linked to aged care settings
Cases currently linked to public housing in North Melbourne, Flemington and Carlton are as follows:
  • 303 cases are residents of various public housing towers in North Melbourne and Flemington. Investigations are continuing into how these cases are linked.
  • 66 cases are residents of various public housing towers in Carlton. Investigations are continuing into if and/or how these cases are linked.
Cases currently linked to key outbreaks are as follows:
  • 90 cases have been linked to Somerville Retail Services in Tottenham
  • 82 cases have been linked to Estia Health in Ardeer
  • 78 cases have been linked to St Basil’s Homes for the Aged in Fawkner
  • 69 cases have been linked to JBS in Brooklyn
  • 62 cases have been linked to Menarock Life Aged Care in Essendon
  • 60 cases have been linked to Bertocchi Smallgoods in Thomastown
  • 53 cases have been linked to Glendale Aged care facility in Werribee
  • 48 cases have been linked to Estia Health in Heidelberg
  • 47 cases have been linked to Australian Lamb Company in Colac
  • 39 cases have been linked to Arcare Aged Care in Craigieburn
  • 27 cases have been linked Aurrum Aged Care in Plenty
  • 25 cases have been linked to Regis Aged Care in Brighton
  • 24 cases have been linked to Epping Gardens Aged Care
  • 19 cases have been linked to Kirkbrae Presbyterian Homes in Kilsyth
  • 11 cases have been linked to Outlook Gardens Aged Care in Dandenong North
  • 12 cases have been linked to the Linfox Warehouse in Truganina
  • 9 cases have been linked to CraigCare Aged Care Facility in Pascoe Vale
  • 7 cases have been linked to Fresh Plus in Craigieburn
  • 6 cases have been linked Diamond Valley Pork in Laverton North
  • 5 cases have been linked to Don KR Castlemaine
  • 3 cases have been linked to Base Backpackers in St Kilda
  • 3 cases have been linked to Impact English College in Melbourne

Today's new cases in LGA's outside of the restricted one:

Greater Geelong 2
Colac Otway 2
Greater Bendigo 2
Glenelg 1
Warrnambool 1
Loddon 1

Commonsense does not prevail in hospitals and aged care if say a healthcare worker brings their own mask To use at work.

its possibly legally a breach of OH&S (or something like that) To use your own mask in such settings as an employyee/staff. Something I gather about the employer cannot be assured you are using proper equipment and such.

and I’m talking about the period before the State Government mandated them for those settings or while in public.

"Commonsense does not prevail in hospitals" Why do you claim this?

With respect to major hospitals in Vic:

Hospital staff have had access to PPE throughout.

In the extremely early phase there was a shortage, but this was more at medical practices and not hospitals.

However this was soon resolved. The range of available PPE has also been improved, and has been for some time.

The major hospitals all heightened their PPE protocols before the current Vic LGA's restrictions which was way before the more recent facemask restrictions. However they have had PPE protocols out and this vary depending on their perceived risk level. They do not wait to be instructed on what to to do. Covid 19 is just one of many infectious diseases that they they have to content with.

Masks worn by hospital staff outside of the workplace at not to be worn at work. Staff are issued masks as they arrive. These will be changed throughout the shift. The type of facemask and other PPE worn will vary depending on the work being performed and the setting.

The majority of hospital healthcare workers in Victoria have been infected outside of the work place.

Age care is an entirely different thing and should not be discussed as being within the same category as hospitals, for all sorts of reasons. The Federal Government also has oversight of Age Care.

Last edited:
Home care isn't always that caring, or even monitored, qualified, registered or quality checked. Just "gimme the government money". I had a close accountant friend years ago who said it was the best business he had ever been involved in, made a mint and retired very early - the nursing home business.

Yes that is very true and there have been some awful awful stories in SA of those on NDIS. I just dont know how one death in particular occurred with no one else knowing about it. So close monitoring is essential.

Last edited:
But of course the organisers have said they will go ahead regardless of the outcome of any appeal. Some people are just special.
Pray for a deluge that day. That happened on the last protest day in Adelaide and just a handful showed up.

Wouldn’t it be great if the organisers though outside the box and found a way to promote their valid concerns without going against medical advice / the law. (Thinking of the ANZAC rememberance) IMO they have a good / justifiable reason to protest, but traditional marches / assemblies are not appropriate or safe atm.

Pray for a deluge that day

Heavy rainis forecast, one can only hope the meteorology bureau have got it right.

Crazy to contemplate a mass congregation given nsw current situation, especially since aboriginal community have higher incidence of pre-existing medical conditions making them more vulnerable than most. They need to find a safer iso compliant to draw attention to their cause.

If they protest despite the court order and community transmission ensues not only will they be responsible for endangering the community at large, they will damage their own cause.

Yes that is very true and there have been some awful awful stories in SA of those on NDIS. I just dont know how one death in particular occurred with no one else knowing about it. So close monitoring is essential.
Agree though should be noted that the NDIS is a different department from Health - we operate the CHSP (the entry level scheme for aged), CHP and resi care.
In relation to PPE - hospitals and medicos have access to the national stockpile. Our Dept is funding home care providers who are requesting it.
Victoria remains a concern in terms of numbers. The national incident room monitors things - we have had staff seconded to that.

"Commonsense does not prevail in hospitals" Why do you claim this?

Selectively extracting your sentences to make my point....with respect of the last few weeks.

....they have had PPE protocols out and this vary depending on their perceived risk level. They do not wait to be instructed on what to to do. Covid 19 is just one of many infectious diseases that they they have to content with.

Masks worn by hospital staff outside of the workplace at not to be worn at work. Staff are issued masks as they arrive. These will be changed throughout the shift. The type of facemask and other PPE worn will vary depending on the work being performed and the setting.

Age care is an entirely different thing and should not be discussed as being within the same category as hospitals, for all sorts of reasons. The Federal Government also has oversight of Age Care.

Where the ward’s risk setting is low, the masks are literally locked up to prevent stealing by visitors. Staff are simply not allowed to wear masks in a low risk environment.

There have been instances of staff using their commonsense to wear masks in their day to day life and even up to the staff carpark / entrance and then taking them off upon arrival before their mandatory screening at the hospital entrance and going onwards to their low risk setting.

I guess that’s the stupidity of it all - management determine the risk setting of the ward.

I feel it’s a replay of a different kind where teachers were forced to go to school where social distancing (eg 4sqm) was not possible (setting aside the emerging issue of whether there is child to adult transmission). Some teacher’s commonsense saying something different to departmental/management edicts.

Now things are better with mandatory wearing of masks, but as always management are a few weeks behind.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I live near the 2nd branch of the family owned Thai Rock. On my local FB page this was posted - there has been a lot of stuff in the Sydney media
Thai Rock Potts Point is under watch

NSW Health is directing everyone who attended the Thai Rock Restaurant at Potts Point for two hours or more between Wednesday, 15 July and Saturday, 25 July to immediately be tested for COVID-19 and self-isolate for 14 days since they were last there, regardless of symptoms.

Anyone who attended Thai Rock Potts Point for less than two hours on these dates should monitor for symptoms and immediately isolate and seek testing if they appear.

...along with a few other restaurants and a school

- An Restaurant Bankstown on 23 July, from 9-11am
- Tan Viet Noodle House (AKA Crispy Chicken Noodle House) Cabramatta on the 22 July, from 1-2pm.
- Georges River Grammar School in Georges Hall

Last edited:
Selectively extracting your sentences to make my point....with respect of the last few weeks.

Where the ward’s risk setting is low, the masks are literally locked up to prevent stealing by visitors. Staff are simply not allowed to wear masks in a low risk environment.

My comments are specifically about Victoria and major hospitals. if you are in an area with no or minimal community spread then it could well be that hospitals are operating under different criteria.

I am also talking about staff and not visitors, who yes unfortunately since the early days of the pandemic started to steal facemasks and hand sanitiser. This did not mean denying both to staff when required.

Masks are also not just kept in public areas, but when they are then yes new measures have had to be taken that were not needed pre-pandemic.
Though like most supplies in a hospital staff do not have free reign to take unlimited quantities.

Since before the last few weeks, the nurses that I know at two of Melbourne's largest hospitals have had to wear masks from when they arrive to when they leave. They have to treat all patients and other staff as being potentially Covid 19 positive. This has been so since numbers first started to surge and where it was evident community spread was occurring and well before the Vic Gov brought in the Level 3 restriction to at first the hotspot suburbs, and then later to the GMMA and Mitchell Shire LGA's.

If a patient is actually positive, or is suspected of being positive (ie awaiting a test result, is a close contact of a known positive contact etc) then higher level protocols apply including a higher level of PPE.

After the new Vic Gov facemask restrictions this week they now also have to wear masks outside of the hospital on arriving and departing.

So with respect to common sense, those responsible for the protocols at the hospitals were monitoring new cases and community spread and too their own action as soon as they deemed it necessary. This was before any instruction or advice to do so from the Vic Government (DHHS).

There have been instances of staff using their commonsense to wear masks in their day to day life and even up to the staff carpark / entrance and then taking them off upon arrival before their mandatory screening at the hospital entrance and going onwards to their low risk setting.

This actually good practice.

If they say took a train to work they may have been in contact with a Covid 19 positive person and that mask may well be contaminated with Covid 19. It may also be at the limit of its usable period anyway.

Such a mask should in a hospital setting not continue to be worn.

This actually good practice.

If they say took a train to work they may have been in contact with a Covid 19 positive person and that mask may well be contaminated with Covid 19. It may also be at the limit of its usable period anyway.

Such a mask should in a hospital setting not continue to be worn.
You are now just assuming facts, because I’m pretty certain you are not saying it’s ok to wear a mask to work and then no mask in the hospital - which was the example I was giving.
Post automatically merged:

They rarely release specific details.

However not all who are very ill, or who have died, have had commodities or been obese.
The Vic Premier today at the press conference said further details might be given (presuming if they get consent of the family to release other relevant health information)

My comments are specifically about Victoria and major hospitals. if you are in an area with no or minimal community spread then it could well be that hospitals are operating under different criteria.

Since before the last few weeks,
the nurses that I know at two of Melbourne's largest hospitals have had to wear masks from when they arrive to when they leave. They have to treat all patients and other staff as being potentially Covid 19 positive. This has been so since numbers first started to surge and where it was evident community spread was occurring and well before the Vic Gov brought in the Level 3 restriction to at first the hotspot suburbs, and then later to the GMMA and Mitchell Shire LGA's.

So with respect to common sense, those responsible for the protocols at the hospitals were monitoring new cases and community spread and too their own action as soon as they deemed it necessary. This was before any instruction or advice to do so from the Vic Government (DHHS).
In Victorian hospitals, management’s commonsense only kicked in towards the end of the first week of July.

Edit: for most people on this forum the risk was evident from at least the start of Vic school holidays which started the last week of June

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back