Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

The click-clack machine. Yes, in the 80s, but I think they started to disappear by the early 90s.

Back on topic. I know that you would still need cash in Hong Kong, for some small independent stores, and you would need cash to top up your Octopus card being a tourist (locals could top up using by linking it to their Hong Kong bank accounts). You cannot top up using a credit card (at machine or 7-11)
You can add your Octopus card to Apple wallet on iPhone and top up using Apple Pay. Not sure about Android.

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 3
Where?
My cards from Citi and Suncorp and Australian Mutual Bank don't even have the details embossed anymore.

No credit card surcharge?
I added my physical card to wallet in preparation for a trip there but hadn’t tried to top it up. I just tried and it failed because I don’t have an eligible payment card in wallet. Seems foreign cards aren’t accepted 🙁

Where?
My cards from Citi and Suncorp and Australian Mutual Bank don't even have the details embossed anymore.

No credit card surcharge?
It's a Moroccan restaurant in one of the side streets - in the end he couldn't use it - said his other machine was broken and wanted us to pay cash. I didn't have any cash so had to do a bank transfer. Won't be going back

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back