Cash or Card? Countries where you still need cash.

The click-clack machine. Yes, in the 80s, but I think they started to disappear by the early 90s.

Back on topic. I know that you would still need cash in Hong Kong, for some small independent stores, and you would need cash to top up your Octopus card being a tourist (locals could top up using by linking it to their Hong Kong bank accounts). You cannot top up using a credit card (at machine or 7-11)
You can add your Octopus card to Apple wallet on iPhone and top up using Apple Pay. Not sure about Android.

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 4
Where?
My cards from Citi and Suncorp and Australian Mutual Bank don't even have the details embossed anymore.

No credit card surcharge?
I added my physical card to wallet in preparation for a trip there but hadn’t tried to top it up. I just tried and it failed because I don’t have an eligible payment card in wallet. Seems foreign cards aren’t accepted 🙁

Where?
My cards from Citi and Suncorp and Australian Mutual Bank don't even have the details embossed anymore.

It's a Moroccan restaurant in one of the side streets - in the end he couldn't use it - said his other machine was broken and wanted us to pay cash. I didn't have any cash so had to do a bank transfer. Won't be going back

I got dinged on my CBA's Ultimate for a cash advance fee with Octopus on Mobile.

Went all ok with my French credit card and no fees as expected with Macquarie Debit.

The Octopus is great on mobile, ensure to top up more than the actual fare to ensure you can continue your trip if you take the Airport Express + then the MTR as the full fare is debited upon exit at HKG Station.

Capture d’écran 2024-10-21 à 20.37.08.png

I had to top up the card again mid-way to continue my journey (as a return fare for Airport is 'free' for a same-day trip, but only 'refunded' at the end of the day in the available funds on Octopus).

See :

At the end of the day - I indeed got 'refunded' the extra value I've charged on the card and I then requested a refund from Octopus, got it in less than 24hrs via Macquarie.
Post automatically merged:

I added my physical card to wallet in preparation for a trip there but hadn’t tried to top it up. I just tried and it failed because I don’t have an eligible payment card in wallet. Seems foreign cards aren’t accepted 🙁
Have you used the Octopus for Tourist App?

The Tourist App is designed for international debit and credit cards.
The original Octopus App works only with HK and Mainland debit/credit cards.

Ah the good old days when I backpacked around Europe and Asia with Amex travelers checks, collected letters from home at Amex and Poste Restante. Never booked anything in advance, just rocked up to the recommended hostels in Lonely Planet.

Chile only needed cash for small handicraft sellers, toilets at bus stations. Uber is super cheap so didn't use city buses.

Ah the good old days when I backpacked around Europe and Asia with Amex travelers checks, collected letters from home at Amex and Poste Restante. Never booked anything in advance, just rocked up to the recommended hostels in Lonely Planet.

Chile only needed cash for small handicraft sellers, toilets at bus stations. Uber is super cheap so didn't use city buses.
Oh yes I remember going to the Amex offices in Haymarket in London to collect my letters

In 1976 we had some Travellers Checks stolen when we staying at someones house.

The police had arrested and charged the miscreant before we even knew they were missing. His attempts to forge my signature was risible. Replacement ones were issued immediately.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back