How do Hilton treat you as an Elite?

Who decides on room upgrade when checking in?
With my case, during the checking in process, I was told the hotel is fully booked.
Later, I was told there was a note to upgrade me to a higher category room.
(Happened to me twice with the same hotel but different check in date)

Who decides on room upgrade when checking in?

I find that upgrades (when they occur) usually happen 12-24 hours before check-in - you can see the category change in the Hilton app.

So depending on property that could be duty managers on previous day, night manager, etc

Last edited:
I find that upgrades (when they occur) usually happen 12-24 hours before check-in - you can see the category change in the Hilton app.

So depending on property that could be duty managers on previous day, night manager, etc

I actually use that as a good prompt to get an upgrade.

“I’m just trying to check in online and note that I haven’t got an auto upgrade, just wanted to check if one will be available before I select a room?”

9 times out of 10 I get a reply saying they’ve upgraded me. If not I don’t check in online and try my luck at the desk. If you check in online to a non upgraded room, IME you’ll almost never be upgraded.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

There seems to be a couple of proceses that happen.

I've had a few where there is an Upgrade email about 3 days prior to the stay - apparently an automated process.
There's then usually some room assignments done in the hotel the day before or during the night before a stay - an upgrade can be done here

Either way, if there is no upgrade in the App for online check-in, I'll do check-in at the hotel.

Sometimes you get an email notification about the automatic upgrades, sometimes it doesn't.

You can also ask in the app and they will usually find a way to upgrade you to a room 2+ levels above what you booked if it is available. That's the better bet.

Obviously lesser chance of working in North America, but doesn't hurt to try.

Property: Hilton Fiji
Room booked: Base Guestroom
King Received: 3 Bedroom Residence (5501)

Pretty late arrival into resort. Thought I mis-heard when staff said it was to the 3 Bedroom Residence. I didn’t even realise that room was able to be booked (definitely didn’t see it in my searches).

Anyway, it was clearly 2 bedrooms too many, but we had a phenomenal stay. Each bedroom came with its own ensuite, including bathtub. Residence came with a private pool, BBQ, outdoor dining area, outdoor speakers, fully decked out Kitchen, utensils. Located right at the end of the resort towards, very private. Could easily cater for 3 couples ++.

Property: Hilton Fiji
Room booked: Base Guestroom
King Received: 3 Bedroom Residence (5501)

Pretty late arrival into resort. Thought I mis-heard when staff said it was to the 3 Bedroom Residence. I didn’t even realise that room was able to be booked (definitely didn’t see it in my searches).

Anyway, it was clearly 2 bedrooms too many, but we had a phenomenal stay. Each bedroom came with its own ensuite, including bathtub. Residence came with a private pool, BBQ, outdoor dining area, outdoor speakers, fully decked out Kitchen, utensils. Located right at the end of the resort towards, very private. Could easily cater for 3 couples ++.
We stayed there as a couple pre COVID. Huge!

I actually use that as a good prompt to get an upgrade.

“I’m just trying to check in online and note that I haven’t got an auto upgrade, just wanted to check if one will be available before I select a room?”

9 times out of 10 I get a reply saying they’ve upgraded me. If not I don’t check in online and try my luck at the desk. If you check in online to a non upgraded room, IME you’ll almost never be upgraded.
Good tip, thanks

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back