King Charles Visit 2024

As anyone who lives in Sydney knows the Sydney marathon doesn't even close roads for nearly as long as C2S and its on a weekend and date publicised 12 months in advance, not like this nonsense. The Marathon or C2S also do not prevent access to major theatres or restaurants or businesses.

Chuck's stupid SOH visit is disrupting the city on a work day.; right at the start of the peak commute. Poorly planned.

Last edited:
Yes I know it has brought you no joy rather inconvenience but that isn't the point for society in general.

I'd like it if KC came to Adelaide. The Royals get huge welcomes here. Just like the Beatles did. So rather than consider Adelaide fortunate I think quite the opposite. Most of Australia missed out. I'd not go line up to see them but don't deny the joy of those who are so inclined. Heavens we get disrupted for car races, bike races, LIVAdelaide which is just nearby by, Footy etc but rather than begrudge anyone interested in those events I appreciate that people need some pleasantries in their life.
And we know how much disruption the Grand Prix caused with streets closed for days and same for whatever they are building the grandstand now for in Victoria Park - that will block roads during working days too.

Even footy they close King William Rd by the Oval in the late afternoon and evening

I think this is clearly a case where somebody isn’t happy with our system of government and trying to pass it off as a complaint about the current visit.

Not passing off anything, one can be a republican and also despise individual members of the royal family. Just like one can like the current system and still consider the current monarch a dud.

When CHOGM caused traffic disruptions it was in the middle of the day, not peak hours.

I'd agree if our taxes were always wisely spent but they aren't. Our money is tossed away. So at least this spend is bringing a lot of people joy which makes a refreshing change. And the media headlines are positive for a change. People need that. Wastage of taxes is not an argument I'd use here.
Sorry, nope, not bringing me any joy at all.

But I do wonder if he brought his own toilet seat this time as he used to do?

Never said it would. Society is more than the individual but the collective at a particular occasion which in this case doesn’t include you.
Nor I would hazard a guess most Australians.

I wouldn’t be too worried about our taxpayer money being spent on ‘the royals’. It would be squandered on something else, anyway.

LOL only those who were already predisposed to wanting to be subservient to someone who does not hold rank because of any skill or hard work or vote from citizens but solely because they happen to be lucky to be born to the right parents.

Chuck's presence is nothing but an inconvenience and waste of taxes which I would prefer be spent looking after Australians not entertaining wealthy foreigners. The sooner they leave the better.

HM King Charles II is King of Australia. He's not a foreigner.
Post automatically merged:

I wonder if it was a relatively last-minute thing?
I mean some of the state premiers are busy doing important stuff, but others are washing their hair that night … and it’s interesting that “busy electioneering” is a reason NOT to meet with The King rather than being a reason to jump on the chance of being seen with him.

The King is politically neutral so there are issues around meeting party leaders or premiers when government is in caretaker mode during an election.

The other premiers have no good excuse for not meeting the King, however. Just the usual petty, classless, left-wing disrespect on show from very uncultured and unpatriotic ALP politicians.

Slightly OT. Was in NYC for a 4 day visit. On one of those days the Pres came to town for a meeting. The city was in gridlock for around 4 hours. Only choice was walk or subway, everything else was at a standstill. Locals seemed used to it.

Slightly OT. Was in NYC for a 4 day visit. On one of those days the Pres came to town for a meeting. The city was in gridlock for around 4 hours. Only choice was walk or subway, everything else was at a standstill. Locals seemed used to it.

Yeah, exactly what I was referring to upthread.

Only choice was walk or subway
Which is the usual way to get around NYC where there is gridlock Presidential visit or not. NYC is very walkable; and lots of subway lines. Locals dont have cars unless they can afford a driver or live on the mainland in the burbs.

I've been in NYC when the President has been in town, zero issue getting to/from the Broadway Theatres in the usual way.

Ive also been in Washington DC when the President and other World leaders were about; only impact an odd motorcade and no access to the Whitehouse - zero impact getting to/from museums, monuments, FBI tour.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Remind me in three weeks time to post a media report of the significant rush hour traffic delays in central Adelaide when the car race is on as reported by @VPS earlier. Not an event I care for one bit, but some love it and I'm fine to let them enjoy it.

The other premiers have no good excuse for not meeting the King, however. Just the usual petty, classless, left-wing disrespect on show from very uncultured and unpatriotic ALP politicians.
I'd cut the SA Premier some slack here. Everyone is trying to save Whyalla from a train wreck of industry failure and that's where he'd planned to be today. He's not the disrespectful kind like others may be. And I didn't vote for him 😂.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back