King Charles Visit 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brunch postponed, 2 of my friends live in North Sydney and the circus made it too hard for them to get out of their street. Lots of the locals were annoyed, Charlie isn't winning any fans.

And not looking good for Tuesday given the royal circus will be at SOH from 4:20pm that way too close to the theatre for my liking.
He's won plenty of fans don't worry . Your North Sydney friends will survive one minor inconvenience this morning I'm sure.

this spend is bringing a lot of people joy

No joy here, the circus means we cant enjoy a pre-theatre dinner at preferred venue as planned; nor drive home. Parking near the theater that is usually a flat rate of $15 for evening is suddenly 19/hr and road closures mean a lengthy walk; because of disruption caused by Chuck's need to feel worshipped.

I bet the impacted businesses are really pleased with the lost business.

According to friends working at AMP and Brambles in offices near the quay they have been advised to WFH tomorrow because trying to leave office to go home will be disrupted with road closures.

The only plus side is the weather is lousy with any luck they might get totally washed out.

[redacted off-topic content]

Last edited by a moderator:
No joy here, the circus means we cant enjoy a pre-theatre dinner at preferred venue as planned; nor drive home. Parking near the theater that is usually a flat rate of $15 for evening is suddenly 19/hr and road closures mean a lengthy walk; because of disruption caused by Chuck's need to feel worshipped.

I bet the impacted businesses are really pleased with the lost business.

According to friends working at AMP and Brambles in offices near the quay they have been advised to WFH tomorrow because trying to leave office to go home will be disrupted with road closures.

The only plus side is the weather is lousy with any luck they might get totally washed out.

I could post a myriad of reasons in addition to the wasteful taxes as to why Chuck is irrelevant and unwelcome but that discussion isn't allowed.

I think you are all over estimating their popularity; and underestimating the disruption to locals. But of course when you are lucky to live somewhere the circus isn't invading then its easier to be unbothered.

I bought my theatre tickets long before this nonsense was announced, obviously I would have picked another date had one known this was going to be happening.
Yes I know it has brought you no joy rather inconvenience but that isn't the point for society in general.

I'd like it if KC came to Adelaide. The Royals get huge welcomes here. Just like the Beatles did. So rather than consider Adelaide fortunate I think quite the opposite. Most of Australia missed out. I'd not go line up to see them but don't deny the joy of those who are so inclined. Heavens we get disrupted for car races, bike races, LIVAdelaide which is just nearby by, Footy etc but rather than begrudge anyone interested in those events I appreciate that people need some pleasantries in their life.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I'd agree if our taxes were always wisely spent but they aren't.
People always complain about this "Gov't is wasteful etc". But I'd rather taxes be wasted on public benefits, than for it to be *wasted* by being kept in private hands where it will NOT benefit society.

Having been in Manhattan when the President was there I can confidently say the system of government doesn’t make it any better.
This! whether it's the king, a president, or some superstar cult celebrity, we (ie society) always going to be throwing resources at placating our desire to worship something or the other..

Last edited:
Reactions: DC3
People always complain about this "Gov't is wasteful etc". But I'd rather taxes be wasted on public benefits, that for it to be *wasted* by being kept in private hands where it will NOT benefit society.
Reckon you are talking two different things here.

A visit by the US president even here causes more disruption.

• Informative
Reactions: Ade
As anyone who lives in Sydney knows the Sydney marathon doesn't even close roads for nearly as long as C2S and its on a weekend and date publicised 12 months in advance, not like this nonsense. The Marathon or C2S also do not prevent access to major theatres or restaurants or businesses.

Chuck's stupid SOH visit is disrupting the city on a work day.; right at the start of the peak commute. Poorly planned.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I'd agree if our taxes were always wisely spent but they aren't. Our money is tossed away. So at least this spend is bringing a lot of people joy which makes a refreshing change. And the media headlines are positive for a change. People need that. Wastage of taxes is not an argument I'd use here.
Sorry, nope, not bringing me any joy at all.

But I do wonder if he brought his own toilet seat this time as he used to do?

• Informative
LOL only those who were already predisposed to wanting to be subservient to someone who does not hold rank because of any skill or hard work or vote from citizens but solely because they happen to be lucky to be born to the right parents.

Chuck's presence is nothing but an inconvenience and waste of taxes which I would prefer be spent looking after Australians not entertaining wealthy foreigners. The sooner they leave the better.

HM King Charles II is King of Australia. He's not a foreigner.
Post automatically merged:

I wonder if it was a relatively last-minute thing?
I mean some of the state premiers are busy doing important stuff, but others are washing their hair that night … and it’s interesting that “busy electioneering” is a reason NOT to meet with The King rather than being a reason to jump on the chance of being seen with him.

The King is politically neutral so there are issues around meeting party leaders or premiers when government is in caretaker mode during an election.

The other premiers have no good excuse for not meeting the King, however. Just the usual petty, classless, left-wing disrespect on show from very uncultured and unpatriotic ALP politicians.

[redacted off-topic/political comment]

Canberra seems to be coping with the visit just fine.

Media reports fewer than 100 "fans" turned out to see the Royals in Canberra today. News article tried to blame the heat LOL it was only 23C barely warm, certainly not hot.

Given the low level of interest they should reverse the road closures in Sydney tomorrow and restore the usual evening parking prices so Sydneysiders can have a normal commute and enjoy their city.

Media reports fewer than 100 "fans" turned out to see the Royals in Canberra today. News article tried to blame the heat LOL it was only 23C barely warm, certainly not hot.

Given the low level of interest they should reverse the road closures in Sydney tomorrow and restore the usual evening parking prices so Sydneysiders can have a normal commute and enjoy their city.

So (for Canberra) not much disruption then. Why the angst?

It's the Fleet Review in Sydney tomorrow so I imagine there will be a lot of people there, and many proud ADF people and families there to see the Navy not just the King.

[redacted off-topic/political comment]

Locking this thread while it gets cleaned up in accordance with the previous Moderator Directive in post #55 of the thread. Expect a lot of posts to be removed in accordance with that directive and warnings issued to those who have continued to ignore the direction :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back