Last 717 service

I just don’t understand how 4xA220 are replacing 20ish 717s, recognising that some of the workload has been taken on by the Ejet fleet. Not that many 717 crews are trained up on the a220 (pants would be mid seniority list and has not done line training as yet)
The 717 sale contract has significant on time delivery clauses and the A220 delays have not helped matters, not to mention a lack of crews available

YQY is leaving the country tomorrow, I wonder if YQW will suffer the same fate or perhaps QF may see it gifted to HARS, hopeful thinking.

I just don’t understand how 4xA220 are replacing 20ish 717s, recognising that some of the workload has been taken on by the Ejet fleet. Not that many 717 crews are trained up on the a220 (pants would be mid seniority list and has not done line training as yet)

Some? Heaps more like / Have you seen how many e-jets QFLink have now? Fleet will almost reach 30!

On the back of this thread I took the plunge and flew the 717 yesterday!

It was one of only 3 5 western commercial jets that i hadn’t flown, so this was an opportunity not to miss! (the other two being the Dassault Mercure and VC10).

Gotta say, LOVED the business class seats! So much better than the 737 version… lots of legroom, generous recline.

Several of the crew on the incoming flight, and on my flight, were on their last flight on the 717. Service was outstanding.

So thanks to the OP for posting. Not sure when I would have got the chance to fly one.

(Followed this up on the onwards leg with an a220… how shall I say… a somewhat ‘different’ set-up with row 3 being directly aside from the main cabin!)

edited following Ozduck’s post which now grows my list of aircraft not flown!

Last edited:
On the back of this thread I took the plunge and flew the 717 yesterday!

It was one of only 3 western commercial jets that i hadn’t flown, so this was an opportunity not to miss! (the other two being the Dassault Mercure and VC10).

Gotta say, LOVED the business class seats! So much better than the 737 version… lots of legroom, generous recline.

Several of the crew on the incoming flight, and on my flight, were on their last flight on the 717. Service was outstanding.

So thanks to the OP for posting. Not sure when I would have got the chance to fly one.

(Followed this up on the onwards leg with an a220… how shall I say… a somewhat ‘different’ set-up with row 3 being directly aside from the main cabin!)
You have amassed a pretty impressive number of plane types.I have never flown on a VC10 but I think that I would be one of the few on here to have walked closely around Super VC10's parked on the airport apron. And the sound of those 4 Conway jet engines screaming and crackling on take off from Perth in the early hours of hot summer mornings is etched in my memory.

But being an annoying type I have to ask - did you fly on the West German built VFW-Fokker 614 as operated by Air Alsace and two other small airlines? I always remember it because it looked so strange in photos with two mid fuselage engines mounted above the wings.

Last edited:
You have amassed a pretty impressive number of plane types.I have never flown on a VC10 but I think that I would be one of the few on here to have walked closely around Super VC10's parked on the airport apron. And the sound of those 4 Conway jet engines screaming and crackling on take off from Perth in the early hours of hot summer mornings is etched in my memory.

But being an annoying type I have to ask - did you fly on the West German built VFW-Fokker 614 as operated by Air Alsace and two other small airlines? I always remember it because it looked so strange in photos with two mid fuselage engines mounted above the wings.

Oh no!

Ok make that another two jets I haven’t flown on! The one you mention (which I have seen pictures of) and also the Comet.

My list isn’t looking so impressive now! :(

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Oh no!

Ok make that another two jets I haven’t flown on! The one you mention (which I have seen pictures of) and also the Comet.

My list isn’t looking so impressive now! :(
I doubt many people ever flew on the VFW. Your record is still extremely impressive.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back