Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

I think this is exactly why VA thinks they can make these major changes - and for better or for worse, I think they're probably right

Seems to me Virgin had to offer something really attractive to lure pax back after the pandemic. Let's face it, reaching status has been absurdly easy.

They seem to have made a commercial decision that having reeled us in they've got most of us hooked. It's a commercial decision.

Seems to me Virgin had to offer something really attractive to lure pax back after the pandemic. Let's face it, reaching status has been absurdly easy.
The system is the same as it was under VA1.0. Nothing to do with the big C.
They seem to have made a commercial decision that having reeled us in they've got most of us hooked. It's a commercial decision.
Various “status keeper” programs keep many around - despite the near death experience of VA1.0!

The reality, there are too many VA status PAX now for a domestic airline that allow members to get there easily flying on partner flights.

Having said that, the 8x elegible sectors for WP was always more onerous than QF but also a pointer that they want regular domestic PAX getting the higher status.

…and they’ll need to do a lot of domestics runs now to maintain the equivalent status.

A lot of info to absorb! As a weekly golden triangle flyer on choice fares it is a bit of a kick in the gonads. As my MEL-SYD choice fares are usually $110-$140 range, which will only be 9-12 SC’s (do they round up or down on the devision…haha!). Rather than the fixed 15 currently. Also sux now the variability and not being able to plan ahead, as I’ll definitely be borderline to retain Platinum now I think.

Also we have been using our points for family trips to Bali, so the rise on the points table La ain’t great either!

Overall, while it is always disappointing to have negative changes, I'm not too disappointed with these changes.

I'm glad Eligible Sectors is no longer required. Lately, DSCs and Family pooling was easily getting my the SCs requal, but stretched to even get 8 flights annually lately, without a Status run.

While I probbaly think the SC earn rate is generally a poor rate compared to the zone buckets, I don't mind that the SCs per $ spent does seem a bit easier to work out: it's a simple calc to say "I need to spend $9.6k with VA to maintain Platinum", and track spend along the way. It would be handy though to be able to see the various Economy fare buckets and choose which one you want to purchase, rather than it showing the cheapest available in the fare category. You may want to spend $24 more to tip you over those extra 2 SCs you need.

I can't see myself maintaining Platinum anymore - I doubt I'll spend $9.6k per annum with VA in the coming years on my changed travel patterns of late. However, I am very glad to see Forever Gold introduced, and I am very hopeful to qualify for this. With LTG on QF already locked in, I can now go back to choosing either QF or VA (with QP access in CNS), and I can just choose to pay for Economy X or extra legroom on QF, knowing it was the opportunity cost forgone by not spending the total $9.6k with VA just to maintain access to Economy X.

Glad that Fly Ahead remains for Gold.

The Velocity co-branded AmEx cards were recently pulled with a note saying that the new version of these card will be "coming soon". I reckon we'll see those new cards in the next few days along with some benefits that align with the new Velocity program.

I wonder if 100 SCs will still be on offer for $50k annual spend? And how that would fit in with the SC requirement for flying on VA metal.

That benefit has certainly helped me to retain SG the past few years.

Overall, still processing these changes but it's likely a net loss for me. Got plenty of my SCs from partner airlines and booking J in DSC etc. I can understand why they've done it from the commercial perspective, though, it was kind of silly that I was WP at one point with the amount of flying I did - certainly not the $10k per annum that it will cost now on the new calculation.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back