Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

I think this is exactly why VA thinks they can make these major changes - and for better or for worse, I think they're probably right

Seems to me Virgin had to offer something really attractive to lure pax back after the pandemic. Let's face it, reaching status has been absurdly easy.

They seem to have made a commercial decision that having reeled us in they've got most of us hooked. It's a commercial decision.

Seems to me Virgin had to offer something really attractive to lure pax back after the pandemic. Let's face it, reaching status has been absurdly easy.
The system is the same as it was under VA1.0. Nothing to do with the big C.
They seem to have made a commercial decision that having reeled us in they've got most of us hooked. It's a commercial decision.
Various “status keeper” programs keep many around - despite the near death experience of VA1.0!

The reality, there are too many VA status PAX now for a domestic airline that allow members to get there easily flying on partner flights.

Having said that, the 8x elegible sectors for WP was always more onerous than QF but also a pointer that they want regular domestic PAX getting the higher status.

…and they’ll need to do a lot of domestics runs now to maintain the equivalent status.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

A lot of info to absorb! As a weekly golden triangle flyer on choice fares it is a bit of a kick in the gonads. As my MEL-SYD choice fares are usually $110-$140 range, which will only be 9-12 SC’s (do they round up or down on the devision…haha!). Rather than the fixed 15 currently. Also sux now the variability and not being able to plan ahead, as I’ll definitely be borderline to retain Platinum now I think.

Also we have been using our points for family trips to Bali, so the rise on the points table La ain’t great either!

Overall, while it is always disappointing to have negative changes, I'm not too disappointed with these changes.

I'm glad Eligible Sectors is no longer required. Lately, DSCs and Family pooling was easily getting my the SCs requal, but stretched to even get 8 flights annually lately, without a Status run.

While I probbaly think the SC earn rate is generally a poor rate compared to the zone buckets, I don't mind that the SCs per $ spent does seem a bit easier to work out: it's a simple calc to say "I need to spend $9.6k with VA to maintain Platinum", and track spend along the way. It would be handy though to be able to see the various Economy fare buckets and choose which one you want to purchase, rather than it showing the cheapest available in the fare category. You may want to spend $24 more to tip you over those extra 2 SCs you need.

I can't see myself maintaining Platinum anymore - I doubt I'll spend $9.6k per annum with VA in the coming years on my changed travel patterns of late. However, I am very glad to see Forever Gold introduced, and I am very hopeful to qualify for this. With LTG on QF already locked in, I can now go back to choosing either QF or VA (with QP access in CNS), and I can just choose to pay for Economy X or extra legroom on QF, knowing it was the opportunity cost forgone by not spending the total $9.6k with VA just to maintain access to Economy X.

Glad that Fly Ahead remains for Gold.

The Velocity co-branded AmEx cards were recently pulled with a note saying that the new version of these card will be "coming soon". I reckon we'll see those new cards in the next few days along with some benefits that align with the new Velocity program.

I wonder if 100 SCs will still be on offer for $50k annual spend? And how that would fit in with the SC requirement for flying on VA metal.

That benefit has certainly helped me to retain SG the past few years.

Overall, still processing these changes but it's likely a net loss for me. Got plenty of my SCs from partner airlines and booking J in DSC etc. I can understand why they've done it from the commercial perspective, though, it was kind of silly that I was WP at one point with the amount of flying I did - certainly not the $10k per annum that it will cost now on the new calculation.

Seems like a mixed bag of opinions in this thread. While some additions were great and understandable, i'm probably with the few who get shafted by this change. As someone who flies up and down to Cairns from Sydney a 4 or more times a year in J half the time and Singapore once or twice to see the gf, I feel pretty shafted. But hey, it's a corporation that wants to make money, who can blame them?

At least i have Plat till early 2026 and Gold till the end of 2027. SDoes this mean Qantas is wayyyyy more value than Virgin? Time to jump ship?
I would have thought the closure of the CNS Lounge was the first shafting based on your travel pattern.

VELOCITY What’s in a name?

I have been thinking about posting this for a while now, and I think with the recent announcement this may be the time.

Velocity: Speed Without Direction?

As frequent flyers, we know Velocity as the popular rewards program. But in physics, velocity has a specific meaning: it’s a scalar quantity that measures speed—how fast something moves—but doesn’t account for direction. This got me thinking: with Velocity Frequent Flyer’s recent enhancements, is the program gaining speed but losing direction.

So my SQ trip last week has given me the SCs for moving from gold to plat, with a VA work trip in 4 weeks giving me the final eligible sector needed. So upgrading to Plat in Nov seems to be the best possible outcome for having status for the next 2 yrs regardless of these changes, as I'll get a year of plat then a soft landing to a year of gold...

These changes will help trim the current self-important riff-raff numbers in the lounge. VA has been generous here in the past but they are now making profits, courting exotic types from way off sandy places and generally growing up. Harder decisions need to be made.

Having status is a choice and these changes will not disadvantage me terribly.

They will offer status promotions when they are low on cash and/or need to shore up market share. It’s a business.

I think this is exactly why VA thinks they can make these major changes - and for better or for worse, I think they're probably right
That is precisely my thinking, and what prompted the question.

These changes really hurt the 'travel hacker' who maintains status cheaply through, for example, discounted domestic J fares and family pooling. But these people have no where to go.

The biggest problem these devaluations reveal is the lack of competition, and thus choice, in Australia.

There’s definitely a school of thought that if you only fly J, status is irrelevant (except in oneworld that has OWE, thus first class lounges alliance wide).
There was/is a school of thought along those lines. But with the dire call centre skills and wait times, you actually need status these days to get through to anyone without hanging around on the phone for hours :(

Aeroplan for example is a great program, but sometimes you can’t even join the call centre queue it’s that bad.

I’m paying the HSBC $450 annual fee to keep my *A gold for another year simply to get answered in 5 mins vs 125mins.

Well prior to this announcement I let my Va Plat lapse to Gold and now to Silver wirh no intenion of maintaining any status with Va. The offerings in the Sydney lounge (home airport) are cough (except for barista made coffee) and premium entry is only open in early am. I often don't even go to the lounge, and have a meal at a Priority Pass restaurant instead.

The Plat uplift to Hilton Diamond is ONCE per lifetime so no real benefit to me anymore as I have used it.

I had no intention of maintaining any sratus with Va, and these new changes have validated my decision.

Ps entered lounges in Adl and Syd last month via Sq KrisFlyer Gold status...lounges remain very average!

USA have these devaluations yet have plenty competition.

So not an Australian thing at all.
Competition does not stop devaluations. It permits choice after a devaluation.

Delta elites that were disgruntled after their most recent devaluation were given generous opportunities to jump to Alaska & JetBlue, not to mention the opportunities to jump to United, American & Southwest.

My point is that those attaining status cheaply on Virgin Australia have no where to go. They're not going to get equivalent status on Qantas for the same financial outlay. And that is their only option.

Competition does not stop devaluations. It permits choice after a devaluation.

Delta elites that were disgruntled after their most recent devaluation were given generous opportunities to jump to Alaska & JetBlue, not to mention the opportunities to jump to United, American & Southwest.

My point is that those attaining status cheaply on Virgin Australia have no where to go. They're not going to get equivalent status on Qantas for the same financial outlay. And that is their only option.
Ok but your point seemingly made in your post was the lack of competition in Aus led to the devaluation.

But I see now your saying VA cheap status compared to QF.

WP still required 8 sectors to be flown. I read many QF WPs attain their status during DSC promos with less than 8 QF sectors flown.

Cheaply can mean more than just financial means.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back