New Qantas route - Perth to Paris from July 2024

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Didn't mean to compare food offering from PE/Y+ to J, our food in PE/Y+ on the journey to Paris was OK., the return was completely different (and not in a positive way)

With QFi I lmost always find the meals outbound are better than the meals on the return flight.

With QFi I lmost always find the meals outbound are better than the meals on the return flight.
This was my first QFi to Europe, all my previous (pre covid) QFi was HKIA, MNL, BKK and SIN where I don't recall such a gap in meal quality. (and as a regular user of the Q lounge at HKIA my expectations for Paris may have been unrealistic 😆)

This was my first QFi to Europe, all my previous (pre covid) QFi was HKIA, MNL, BKK and SIN where I don't recall such a gap in meal quality.
FWIW, there's no harm in sending through some feedback to Qantas about this. I mean... I don't really expect they'll do for you about it, but they can't begin to consider addressing issues about which they're unaware.

FWIW, there's no harm in sending through some feedback to Qantas about this. I mean... I don't really expect they'll do for you about it, but they can't begin to consider addressing issues about which they're unaware.
They are aware - and have placed 10k points in my account as a "compliments of customer contact". The way it was dealt with in the air and subsequently suggests issues with the entertainment system are not uncommon. Crew let me know 6 in PE and 9 in Y were facing the same issue on this flight. As @Lynda2475 has suggested, take a book or tablet loaded with some other form in entertainment if you plan to embark on this trip.

Actually that's a good way to look at it. Does make it seem like a half decent compensatory gesture.
Yes
Doesn’t help so much if you reside in Perth where a one way flight to ADL Mel Syd or Bris requires 18,000
that’s the compensation they ought provide
(Which has also made me ponder the best use of points for reward tics given then 8,000, 12,000 and 18,000 redemption bands for CR Y)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Just flew the SYD>PER>CDG and return flight in PE with my wife and son and mother in law who was travelling in J . NEVER AGAIN. The forward journey was OK, food reasonable but not great and journey was as expected. Lounge in Perth was busy on the stopover but after a bit of waiting somewhere to sit became available. The return journey was horrible, from the frustrating experience to get into the partner lounge at CDQ and finding no seats when we finally did , to all of our travelling party in PE and a number of others in PE and Y dealing with an entertainment system was terribly glitchy and the food was defiantly a lot worse than our travel to Paris. Qantas's vey well rehearsed apology and offer of some points to acknowledge that 20+ hours on a flight without an entertainment system is not ideal suggest this is not a infrequent issue. Emirates may be a little longer but I definitely will not fly this route with Qantas again.
What was wrong with the CDG lounge?
Hopefully CX reopen theirs soon.

PER lounge gets quite crowded before QF9 departs unfortunately… not sure how they’re gonna handle additional pax before the new purpose built terminal, especially if they want to use the high premium sunrise A350 to London…

not sure how they’re gonna handle additional pax before the new purpose built terminal, especially if they want to use the high premium sunrise A350 to London…

The sunrise flights will be direct to London and JFK from SYD not PER.

The sunrise flights will be direct to London and JFK from SYD not PER.

The 787-9 on PER-LHR will be replaced by an A350 (and I believe it’s the Sunrise A350-1000ULR not the standard 350-1000 that was ordered to replace the A330) as the 787-9 is still a bit tight on payload. That jet will then probably be redeployed into continental Europe

The 787-9 on PER-LHR will be replaced by an A350 (and I believe it’s the Sunrise A350-1000ULR not the standard 350-1000 that was ordered to replace the A330) as the 787-9 is still a bit tight on payload. That jet will then probably be redeployed into continental Europe
Don’t think so. ULRs for SYD/MEL-LHR/JFK etc. Also, ultimately to replace A380s.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but an A350-1000 can do PER-Euro and obviously anything an A330 can do.

Don’t think so. ULRs for SYD/MEL-LHR/JFK etc. Also, ultimately to replace A380s.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but an A350-1000 can do PER-Euro and obviously anything an A330 can do.

This article from 2022 talks about the plans to replace the 787 with the A350 on PER-LHR.

This was before the additional 12 A350s were ordered to replace the current A330 in September 2023, so one would assume the A350 going onto PER would be one of first 12 Sunrise 350s.

The replacement for the A380 will be the A350 but only from 2032 onwards, and the exact model and configuration is unknown, and probably won’t be decided on for many years yet. One would assume if it’s an A380 replacement it would hold more pax than the 238 the Sunrise 350s will which would restrict range.

QF have already announced sunrise config A350-1000 will go on PER-LHR. This will help as the 787 is payload restricted on LHR-PER.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back