Qantas A380 reliability issues creeping up again?

"Today's" QF11 has been cancelled. @Bundy Bear has lost their shadow ...

Good lord. I am already resigning myself to roulette for QF 11 next month. I got lucky in July after it had a rough June, but I now also have to book another trip later this month for an important work meeting. Sad to say but I'll be booking away from Qantas simply because of this. I'm certain I'm not the only one. This is what reputation damage caused by chronically poor operational reliability looks like in practice. A pity.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The oldest 332 is 22, youngest 12, oldest 380 is 16, youngest 12 and that's with the Covid downtime. All the 787s are under 7.

VH-OJA, the 747 at HARS was 26 when she was finally retired, and plenty of the 747s flew towards the mid-20s.

The narrow body mainline domestic fleet is probably the oldest it has been (oldest 738 22, but youngest 9) but that's just a function of the lump of deliveries post Ansetts collapse, and that's going to change pretty quickly as 321XLRs start arriving from 2025 (think April 2025 for the first)

A good attempt at "putting lipstick on...", but although not a strictly 'apples for apples' comparison as some foreign airlines have zero or not much of a domestic operation, there's no getting away from how QFd and QFi have fleets that are older than those of many competitors.

It also begs the question why QFi has so many problems with its A380s (and B789s) when by and large, at least when the aircraft visit Australia, foreign airlines seem to have fewer difficulties.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back