So... what car do you guys drive when not flying?

That was the real question, why do so many dreamers folks store these old clunkers ?
It seems an almost insurmountable challenge to restore most post wwii cars because the moulded plastic components are irreplaceable.
I browse collectable cars a bit and opine that the general market is heading down save for a tight core of "real" collectibles like Cossie's fleet.
The youngsters do not have the historic attachment or the practical skills to manage them.

That was the real question, why do so many dreamers folks store these old clunkers ?
It seems an almost insurmountable challenge to restore most post wwii cars because the moulded plastic components are irreplaceable.
I browse collectable cars a bit and opine that the general market is heading down save for a tight core of "real" collectibles like Cossie's fleet.
The youngsters do not have the historic attachment or the practical skills to manage them.
I wish I stored my 1963 beetle (sold for $50), my 1939 Singer 9 (sold for $40), my 1973? Triumph tr6 (sold for $6k) my 1970? Mini,

I wish I stored my 1963 beetle (sold for $50), my 1939 Singer 9 (sold for $40), my 1973? Triumph tr6 (sold for $6k) my 1970? Mini,

Yep, I think I know how you feel, a friend sold his GTHO Falcon for peanuts years ago, still has nightmares about it!

b3f59dc6244ef1aafc413f234d202d5c.jpg

The vehicles have become so ubiquitous they’ve even been given an Aussie nickname – the “emotional support vehicle”, or ESV – mockingly implying owners of these cars only buy them to compensate for their own shortcomings.

A variety of other creatively insulting nicknames have also been termed, including “Seppo” (short for septic tank, which rhymes with Yank), “Yank tanks” and “freedumb trucks”, as well as a string of others that are too crude to publish
The trucks have been mockingly dubbed 'emotional support vehicles' – among other crude nicknames.

That is a bit hurtful , I was quite proud of my Dodge Ram , passing Hyundai's on the freeway with a 26ft 5th wheel horse float behind and getting 10l/100km mostly…
Horses for courses…of course earmuffs were helpful standing beside it idling in the garage but you can't have everyhting...

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The Tesla Y dual motor long range has come out. Previously it was only the RWD and Dual motor performance. Probably the Goldilocks of the Range.
No LCT if no additional enhancements are included

3D printers?

Must be rich, apparently in Japan, once a car is 5 years old expensive taxes kick in. Was meant to be so that the Japanese auto industry kept plodding along. (afaik)
I've been told similar.
Also saw an RX8 and I thought someone has some spare cash.
It was surprisingly quiet, I was hoping to hear a nice bridge or peripheral port.

Must be rich, apparently in Japan, once a car is 5 years old expensive taxes kick in. Was meant to be so that the Japanese auto industry kept plodding along. (afaik)
There's a pretty stringent RWC requirement too every two years that escalates with age, called shaken. I think also you have to demonstrate you have a parking space. My girlfriend at the time I lived there, 25 years ago now, had a lovely Golf and was paying IIRC around $500 a month to park in an open parking lot.

There was an Aussie guy who kept an apartment in my complex, and he'd come over 4x a year to buy cars to send home to AUS. Said he did pretty well as the second hand market there was poor.

And some of the older ones get grey imported into AUS

Also NZ, I was friends with a girl from NZ in the late eighties, she worked for a car dealer there, but it was cheaper to go on an organised trip to Tokyo and buy a second hand car there and get it shipped to her home. Airfares, accomodation included, nice little holiday she said.

Same stage as Mikko Hirvonen from above.

Paddon has driven this stage many times, so he should be able to drive it flatout, blind, meaning no pacenotes. Anyway, this car sits below the level of a top tier WRC car, that is, all wheel drive and turbocharged engine, enjoy.

There's a pretty stringent RWC requirement too every two years that escalates with age, called shaken. I think also you have to demonstrate you have a parking space. My girlfriend at the time I lived there, 25 years ago now, had a lovely Golf and was paying IIRC around $500 a month to park in an open parking lot.

There was an Aussie guy who kept an apartment in my complex, and he'd come over 4x a year to buy cars to send home to AUS. Said he did pretty well as the second hand market there was poor.
I remember years ago there were car yards on Parramatta Rd selling only grey imports.
A friend of mine had a business importing cars only a few years old to wreck for parts. He did better than those who bought damaged cars at auction as you could sell almost the whole vehicle.
His business venture made him quite wealthy.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back