So... what car do you guys drive when not flying?

I was a bit, er sorry, to have spoiled the thread by jumping in and answering what was really a gimmee ..what with the badge and all...
sorry QS……..

this link tells the tale… https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1952-alfa-romeo-1900m

I looked at buying a Mitsubishi Jeep for a while, rhd exJapan and some interesting examples going through the auctions.
I have now decided to buy a new or near new Daihatsu HiJet Jumbo extra .. all the modern bells and whistles in a mini package.
Bit of work to get one out of the Japan auctions without the big au dealer margins but I am in no hurry

Last edited:
2014 Honda CRV basic model.

How often would you service the car? I don't buy the 6 monthly service spiel. That's not on.

With the VN Commodore I used to do 20,000-25,000 kms/year and used to service every 12 months. Current car I've had for 2y2m and have not yet serviced. Just over 18,000 kms. I have noticed that fuel consumption has been increasing recently.

Number plates are something I collect, so I’m always looking, saw these 2 cars and thought they were asking a pertinent question, I don’t know the answer either!
IMG_6132.jpeg

Saw these in Dinkelsbühl, 1947 Harley and a couple of Cobra kit cars, Although GM engines, not Ford. :(

IMG_6147.jpegIMG_6146.jpegIMG_6145.jpegIMG_6143.jpeg

Last edited:
Number plates are something I collect, so I’m always looking, saw these 2 cars and thought they were asking a pertinent question, I don’t know the answer either!
View attachment 327303

Saw these in Dinkelsbühl, 1947 Harley and a couple of Cobra kit cars, Although GM engines, not Ford. :(

View attachment 327305View attachment 327306View attachment 327307View attachment 327309
My mum liked number plates too.
She didn't want 3 in the one below, she wanted a different number. Oh well.
As for number plates, I have 2 personalised ones for my bike. Being allowed to keep them at home, I can swap between them as long as I go to Service SA and change the rego papers.
Unused, the plates are mine for 10 years before being made available again. I don't have to return them.

IMG_20230523_175806.jpg

Then, in 2007, the marketing genius Luca de Meo (now Renault’s boss) persuaded Fiat to disinter Abarth’s scorpion badge and made a huge success of tuned-up versions of the reborn Fiat 500. The brand was re-established and as current Abarth manager Francesco Morosini said: “An Abarth owner is one who thinks the fastest route between A and B is full of curves.”

Then, in 2007, the marketing genius Luca de Meo (now Renault’s boss) persuaded Fiat to disinter Abarth’s scorpion badge and made a huge success of tuned-up versions of the reborn Fiat 500. The brand was re-established and as current Abarth manager Francesco Morosini said: “An Abarth owner is one who thinks the fastest route between A and B is full of curves.”

The designer seems to be playing games with the quirky headlight 'eyebrows' on these things. 🤪

Well we had to get another vehicle
I crossed over to the dark side and got a MYLR

The thing was stuck on Grand Eagle Vehicle Carrier for weeks trying to get into Pork Kembla, and I was watching it via a ship tracking site. Finally it moored and I managed to get a delivery date of 30 June which is cutting it fine for ATO EOFY reasons

Such a bottle neck the Australian ports are.
It arrived off Port Kembla on May 22 but only managed to moor/dock on June 15.

And I discovered that my local shoppo has free charging and free parking.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back