SQ Tips, Trips and Tales

Exit T3 at the airport in Singapore, through passport and customs during a layover - check back in again and hey presto - hard copy coloured boarding pass!
Shouldn't take more than 15 mins.
That's what I HAD to do after a sleepover at Crowne Plaza which is why I know.

Just catching up on the last few pages, and as a fellow holder of two flimsy thin BPs from BNE
So BNE has suffered the same fate too? You've got to be kidding me.
Exit T3 at the airport in Singapore, through passport and customs during a layover - check back in again and hey presto - hard copy coloured boarding pass!
Shouldn't take more than 15 mins.
That's what I HAD to do after a sleepover at Crowne Plaza which is why I know.
No need for this. As stated in a previous comment, you can just go to a Transfer Desk at the terminal you land in at Changi and they will print off a BP for you that's on the correct material. That's no worries.

But if you're flying something like MEL-SIN-KUL, then the "good" BP for SIN-KUL isn't as "special" as a good BP for MEL-SIN. And SQ refuse to reprint a BP for a completed segment. So we're back to MEL not printing the correct stock as the main problem.
See where this is going?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

So BNE has suffered the same fate too? You've got to be kidding me.
Ah, forgot to mention, it was from a self serve kiosk in front of SQ row. Was too impatient to wait for check in to open, which served me no good anyway as SKL in BNE only opened precisely 3 hrs and 10 mins before departure.

Just booked an award ticket and noticed something interesting I haven’t encountered before. When searching MEL/SYD-FRA in F I got nothing but when searching MEL/SYD-SIN and SIN-FRA separately there was decent availability in both Saver and Advantage with legal < 24h connections.

Called customer service and the agent also couldn’t find anything when searching AUS-FRA in F. When I gave the flight numbers one by one he had no issue to create an itinerary. The agent said it’s probably an IT issue which he will make sure to report.

Don't count on SQ to rush and fix it and be aware of this possible issue when searching award availability.

Yeah I've seen this issue before too so what's the best way to handle it?

Book over the phone so they join the legs?
Or book them separately and call to join?
Or something else?

@boomy when this happened to me, they rang back a few hours later and said sorry, when I booked your flight, I did not take enough points out. I stood my ground saying the award chart says X and they relented,

I assume that’s just married sector logic, rather than an error

I know it’s an error because I was able to book the exact same flights online previously. It’s a simple AUS-EUR booking with < 24h connection I’m sure many here booked previously with no issues.

In relation to likely married segments, the only error here could be attributed to the agent.

Good luck to @boomy

The agent was great, he booked my trip in one itinerary with no issues after I gave him the flight numbers.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah I've seen this issue before too so what's the best way to handle it?

Book over the phone so they join the legs?
Or book them separately and call to join?
Or something else?

Definitely call to book over the phone and insist to get all flights in one itinerary as long as connections are < 24h. The rules are very clear.

@boomy when this happened to me, they rang back a few hours later and said sorry, when I booked your flight, I did not take enough points out. I stood my ground saying the award chart says X and they relented,

Very good that you stood your ground.

I had this issue previously with SQ when trying to book an itinerary and the system wanted to charge more miles than what KF award chard says. I’ve escalated the issue and insisted to pay the correct amount of miles even if the system says otherwise. Eventually someone with enough authority managed to do it.

Hello everyone
I'm in a bit of a pickle and could use some advice or shared experiences.

I'm booking a trip on Singapore Airlines from Perth (PER) to Singapore (SIN) for my family: 2 Adults and 1 Child. Our travel dates are 23 January 2025 to 27 January 2025. We’re all set for the outbound flight but here's the snag where our return leg to Perth is currently waitlisted, and it looks like all the reward seats for the entire week are on the waiting list.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation with Singapore Airlines on this?

• How likely is it that they’ll release more seats as the date approaches?
  • Are there any strategies or workarounds to secure those seats?
My wife’s getting so peeved i booked a non refundable hotel waiting for those return seats So, any help would not only save our trip but also keep the peace at home!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Hello everyone

I'm booking a trip on Singapore Airlines from Perth (PER) to Singapore (SIN) for my family: 2 Adults and 1 Child. Our travel dates are 23 January 2025 to 27 January 2025. We’re all set for the outbound flight but here's the snag where our return leg to Perth is currently waitlisted, and it looks like all the reward seats for the entire week are on the waiting list.

My wife’s getting so peeved i booked a non refundable hotel waiting for those return seats So, any help would not only save our trip but also keep the peace at home!

Cheers,
Sorry but extremely unlikely those flights would come through at the time of year. I would be looking for other options home.

Hello everyone

Cheers,

Don’t like your chances to get x3 waitlists cleared in Jan.

If you are committed to travel I would look at booking with another airline. If your only issue is the non refundable hotel I would ask nicely to cancel for full refund. Given enough notice hotels will often agree to wave cancellation fees.

For elite miles (and KF miles for that matter) the SQ website states that "Elite miles are derived from the actual miles flown, plus any applicable booking class bonuses earned on tickets that are eligible to earn miles", but for a recent SIN-MAN-IAH flight I have only been creditied with the distance between SIN and IAH (the distance is calculated going east, but the flight actually goes west 🤯).

Has anyone had any luck challenging what is automatically applied when the distance flown is significantly longer than the distance between the originating and final destination for 5th freedom flights with SQ?

I originated in Austrlaia and that leg is counted separately to the flight(s) from SIN-IAH.

I lodged a missing miles claim that was rejected for the 2 legs from SIN-MAN and MAN-IAH ("the flight has perviously been credited to your Krisflyer account.").

Hello everyone

Cheers,
There's a buckley's chance those waitlists will clear - unfortunate reality.
That time of year, the day after Australia Day (so most people will be off work that day), means that all seats are all taken (at least in J - you haven't mentioned your travel class?).
Waitlist for SQ is an actual gamble - I would not rely on it these days. The last time I had a waitlist clear was in Jan 2019 and it was the other direction (AU - SG).
You'll either have to (in decreasing order of comfort):
  1. Buy 3 x J fares on SQ (surprisingly every flight on that day SIN-PER has 3 J seats on it, the cheapest being SQ213 on the A350 @ 5,759.20 SGD (approx. 6,547.38 AUD).
    1728871415468.png
  2. Buy 3 x Y fares on SQ (not as many options this time, the Economy fare buckets are mostly sold out apart from the exxy Flexi Y fare buckets). Here's the price for the same flight above @ 4,321.20 SGD (approx. 4,914.70 AUD).
    1728871682722.png
  3. Buy 3 x Y+ (ScootPlus) fares on TR (Scoot) @ 3,168.20 AUD.
    1728871920884.png
  4. Buy 3 x Y fares on TR @ 1,531.51 AUD.
    1728871997145.png
  5. Buy 3 x Y fares on JQ @ 1,137 SGD (approx. 1,291.85 AUD).
    1728879772944.png
  6. Catch a cargo/oil ship bound for PER from SIN.
  7. Swim across the ocean from SIN to PER.
Wishing you luck, OP.

For elite miles (and KF miles for that matter) the SQ website states that "Elite miles are derived from the actual miles flown, plus any applicable booking class bonuses earned on tickets that are eligible to earn miles", but for a recent SIN-MAN-IAH flight I have only been creditied with the distance between SIN and IAH (the distance is calculated going east, but the flight actually goes west 🤯).

Has anyone had any luck challenging what is automatically applied when the distance flown is significantly longer than the distance between the originating and final destination for 5th freedom flights with SQ?

I originated in Austrlaia and that leg is counted separately to the flight(s) from SIN-IAH.

I lodged a missing miles claim that was rejected for the 2 legs from SIN-MAN and MAN-IAH ("the flight has perviously been credited to your Krisflyer account.").

This one is interesting. I trawled through the SQ/KF T&Cs and nowhere was it mentioned what "actual miles flown" means or how it's calculated.
All that's mentioned is that the Accrual Calculator can be used, and for that itinerary the "actual miles flown" is 9,925 miles (damn these Imperial units, gah). Anyway, GC Map does state that the distance (as the crow flies) from SIN to IAH is 9,930 miles. You and I both know that you actually flew SIN-MAN-IAH which is 11,523 miles. That's a LARGE difference. Damn.

1728880227901.png

1728880268050.png

1728880290415.png

Worth chasing this one up, as even the T&Cs don't mention the calculation method - which is crucial. I'm sure one of the main blogs (Mile Lion, Mainly Miles, etc) would have covered it as it is a glaring gap in their system (I would be furious as would you), so yeah, let us know how you go, OP.

EDIT: This might help, @minesapint. It's from a long time ago, but similar sort of question (except for that OP it was PER-SIN-JFK but the SIN-JFK segment is actually SIN-(FRA)-JFK due to SQ26 using this routing (and a fifth freedom in there too, similar to your SIN-(MAN)-IAH. In that case it was only a roughly 1.5k mile difference, different to yours which is a bit more.

Anyway, it seems to be a result of the two flights using the same flight number, therefore the system only looking at the origin (SIN) and final destination (IAH), and discarding the extra MAN stopover/transit/whatever.

If it's a J ticket then there's quite a big difference in miles earned, plus any Elite bonuses (KFES or KFEG at 25% and 50% respectively). I would definitely follow this up, there's no "T&C" that they can fall back on, and the words actually used are "actual miles flown", which any "reasonable" person would interpret to be the physical distance flown by the plane for that journey.

Interesting how it hasn't been more reported on (similar to the cough BP situation at MEL but I'm not going to mention that point any further for fear of being crucified)...

Maybe start off with a Kris the chatbot chat (so you have something in writing), and then can escalate as and when needed.

Last edited:

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back