Strategy to obtain US Amex

I've got the Amex Green card. Been very good so far. An adventure finding out what counts as 3x earn...
Just wondering it comes with a $199 Clear Plus (TSA fast track type membership) benefit. Has anyone been able to get clear plus as a non resident of the US? It says when I search chatgpt that it may be possible. I've got a query in with the company but just thought someone here might have been able to do this.

Also has anyone opened an amex savings account. I got an email yesterday offering savings account on call with 4.10% interest income rate.
Just wondering do you need ITIN/SSN to open one of these accounts?

Does anyone know the acceptable velocity for Citibank cards ? I had my first Citi card around nov last year and maxed it out with a recent BT offer .

Hi All,

A bit of update on 2nd chase card application WOH. After apply for WOH, I have been requested W9 form, and I managed to call through and verified my ITIN verbally instead.
Last Sat - called chased and tried to get SUB matached to 5FN SUB, no luck. Then tried to get card approved over the phone, unable to receive text so rep has to call me back. Wasted over 1 hour trying to get it approved over the phone but had now luck. I was told that I will definitely receive feedback in 24 hours.
Mon - called again, unable to receive text so rep called me back, rep spent fair a bit a time reviewing docs submitted and asked a few questions. Eventually I was told this application has gone to final decision team and I will receive feedback in 24-48 hours.
Wed - called again, almost same process as Mon, except was told I will receive a decision in mail or email in around 7 business days.
This morning - called again, unable to receive text but this time rep has asked me questions from my public record. Rep told me application has gone to secondary review, when I asked where was my application at before this phone call he said application has not gone through security verification (I guess this refers to text or public record questions). I was advised in the end that i will receive feedback in 5 - 7 days.

Chase has good credit card, but application / approval process is quite time consuming. I wonder if any one has done verification process via a call back process (maybe this is what i have done wrong here?), my 1st card security verification was always through answering public record questions. Appreciate someone could suggest a carrier which can receive text from chase please. Thank you all.

Already having a credit card at Chase doesn't make it easier to get the next one when you do not have SSN. I normally called them as well and got approved after one or 2 calls. Last year I decided to wait but had to call them after 2 weeks. Each time I called Chase, it was a hard pull (on top of the first one) so 2-3 hard pulls to get approved 😂 It happened to some other people as well but not many. There might be something wrong with my credit file.

I also heard some reps wouldn't do ITIN verification verbally and asked you to sign the form. If you sign W-9 form, you basically commit perjury. HUCA works.

Some people who already had Chase cards were asked for ITIN again and Chase didn't accept the letter as it was over 3 years old (ITIN has expired). Didn't happen often though. I only heard one person saying it but there are quite a few DPs that it happened to the first application so if anybody has ITIN, it's best to apply for your first Chase card within 3 years.

I've got the Amex Green card. Been very good so far. An adventure finding out what counts as 3x earn...
Just wondering it comes with a $199 Clear Plus (TSA fast track type membership) benefit. Has anyone been able to get clear plus as a non resident of the US? It says when I search chatgpt that it may be possible. I've got a query in with the company but just thought someone here might have been able to do this.

Also has anyone opened an amex savings account. I got an email yesterday offering savings account on call with 4.10% interest income rate.
Just wondering do you need ITIN/SSN to open one of these accounts?

You need ITIN/SSN. If your ITIN is brand new, make sure you use it to apply for an Amex card first or the ID verification could be a pain.

Does anyone know the acceptable velocity for Citibank cards ? I had my first Citi card around nov last year and maxed it out with a recent BT offer .

People say Citi is quite query senstive ie you shouldn't have more than 1 hard pull in 6 month but people with more hard pulls still got approved. I think it depends on your credit file but more chance if less hard pull past 6 months.

What perjury ?!

Non US person should use w8-ben as w-9 is for US person/resident alein. I'm not sure but Chase might even say w9 or w8 but if you do w8, you basically tell them you are a foreign person. Not sure if that will affect your existing accounts so better to confirm ITIN verbally in my opinion.

On W-9 form #3,

Under penalties of perjury, I certify that:

1. The number shown on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number (or I am waiting for a number to be issued to me); and
2. I am not subject to backup withholding because (a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or (b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the IRS has notified me that I am
no longer subject to backup withholding; and
3. I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person (defined below); and
4. The FATCA code(s) entered on this form (if any) indicating that I am exempt from FATCA reporting is correct.

Already having a credit card at Chase doesn't make it easier to get the next one when you do not have SSN. I normally called them as well and got approved after one or 2 calls. Last year I decided to wait but had to call them after 2 weeks. Each time I called Chase, it was a hard pull (on top of the first one) so 2-3 hard pulls to get approved 😂 It happened to some other people as well but not many. There might be something wrong with my credit file.

I also heard some reps wouldn't do ITIN verification verbally and asked you to sign the form. If you sign W-9 form, you basically commit perjury. HUCA works.

Some people who already had Chase cards were asked for ITIN again and Chase didn't accept the letter as it was over 3 years old (ITIN has expired). Didn't happen often though. I only heard one person saying it but there are quite a few DPs that it happened to the first application so if anybody has ITIN, it's best to apply for your first Chase card within 3 years.

You need ITIN/SSN. If your ITIN is brand new, make sure you use it to apply for an Amex card first or the ID verification could be a pain.

People say Citi is quite query senstive ie you shouldn't have more than 1 hard pull in 6 month but people with more hard pulls still got approved. I think it depends on your credit file but more chance if less hard pull past 6 months.
But will Citi do another hard pull themselves for this app considering I had my first Citi card approved in Nov ?

Thanks, Finale. I find each call attracts one hard pull too, but only for the first application. This 2nd application, I only had one hard pull which is on application day.

Not sure if anyone has it and has notice no FTF, more importantly on blue business plus may be no FTF as per comments - looks like a great card for free if it is true

DP - on personal checking got my debit card this week and did one purchase and no mention of FTF - not sure how it would show or if build into the rate

Update - seems the notice is for everyday checking - as I only opened last month I did not get notice but can confirm no 2.7% fee (i checked the rate and it as 0.68c conversion on Monday)

Attachments

• taq3si8f93gd1.png
    taq3si8f93gd1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I had similar issue with my 2nd card (AMEX GOLD), I changed my US address week before I applied, Amex asked me provide address verification which I couldn't provide, but I waited until my US AmEx card (1st Card) statement to be generate.
Call them and explained as I'm already AMEX customer, they checked and approved.
to my understanding address need to be 30 days old before you applied but generating new statement "required address verification" status would clear from their system.
I got first statement for Platinum, called and asked about my application - still no - need bank letter - explained can't get it - told this is what I need.
Green card gets statement in a week, may end needing to wait the full 30 days from address change and call back and enquire

She did say I had opened two new cards recently close back to back - I did state I had the Green for 13/12 and she seemed confused - maybe they are referring to Checking Debit and Platinum that got opened 1 day apart

Last edited:
Non US person should use w8-ben as w-9 is for US person/resident alein. I'm not sure but Chase might even say w9 or w8 but if you do w8, you basically tell them you are a foreign person. Not sure if that will affect your existing accounts so better to confirm ITIN verbally in my opinion.

On W-9 form #3,

Under penalties of perjury, I certify that:

1. The number shown on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number (or I am waiting for a number to be issued to me); and
2. I am not subject to backup withholding because (a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or (b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the IRS has notified me that I am
no longer subject to backup withholding; and
3. I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person (defined below); and
4. The FATCA code(s) entered on this form (if any) indicating that I am exempt from FATCA reporting is correct.

the comments here seem to suggest ways of getting around signing a w-9

"Yes, I've had to insist this with almost every application. The outcome varies - I've had to submit an unsigned w9, a W8Ben, and sometimes nothing. Just depends on the CSR. If it helps, I have found the fraud line more helpful. 1800-278-8830"

"Ask to be redirected to the backend credit team. Front line agents always say the W9 thing but if you talk to the back team they will give you a link to send in proof of ITIN and address usually."

"Yeah HUCA'ed and got an email link for itin, address and photo ID. They said SSN and state id but suggested itin and passport would be ok"

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back