Strategy to obtain US Amex

I'm having an expected but nonetheless frustrating problem of not being approved by Amex AUS for a credit card. This will obviously make it hard to do a GT to a US card!

I am a Supp card holder for someone else's AUS Amex. On the phone, I was told to reapply in 90 days. Not sure how much stock to put into front line agents advice.

I am not a serial churned by any means but maybe if I just wait a few more months (180 days?) It might be better. Maybe if I apply for a lower tier card, just to get a relationship, it might work better. I also have a home loan with a small bank that doesn't show up on any credit report, which may or may not be contributing.

Anyone have any more DPs on getting Amex AUS approval? Or can you GT ad a supplementary card holder?
Post automatically merged:

I'm having an expected but nonetheless frustrating problem of not being approved by Amex AUS for a credit card. This will obviously make it hard to do a GT to a US card!

I am a Supp card holder for someone else's AUS Amex. On the phone, I was told to reapply in 90 days. Not sure how much stock to put into front line agents advice.

I am not a serial churned by any means but maybe if I just wait a few more months (180 days?) It might be better. Maybe if I apply for a lower tier card, just to get a relationship, it might work better. I also have a home loan with a small bank that doesn't show up on any credit report, which may or may not be contributing.

Anyone have any more DPs on getting Amex AUS approval? Or can you GT ad a supplementary card holder?

Apply AU platinum card, you will get instantly approval in most cases.

Apply AU platinum card, you will get instantly approval in most cases.
That's the one I applied for, I was rejected twice, last January and just this month.

Agent said try again in 90 days. Maybe I need to go a full 12 months without any applications and see if that affects anything.

Are you self employed? Sub 6 figure salary?

Are you self employed? Sub 6 figure salary?
I am comfortably over 100k. but like most, Amex doesn't ask for proof for anything before just denying you. We are apparently being denied on other factors.

I finally managed to get my Equifax report. Both Ilion and Experian don't see my home loan with my small regional bank or my Amex enquiries, but equifax does. It has all my enquiries for the past 4 years and apparently 9 accounts opened in the past 2 years, including all the splits on mortgages and Ozbargain phone plans as separate.....inflating the number.

If Amex computer is just clamping down on Churners by a simple if accounts > 8 then deny or something, I'm going to have to wait for my phone plans and mortgage splits to fall off before I try again...

I am comfortably over 100k. but like most, Amex doesn't ask for proof for anything before just denying you. We are apparently being denied on other factors.

I finally managed to get my Equifax report. Both Ilion and Experian don't see my home loan with my small regional bank or my Amex enquiries, but equifax does. It has all my enquiries for the past 4 years and apparently 9 accounts opened in the past 2 years, including all the splits on mortgages and Ozbargain phone plans as separate.....inflating the number.

If Amex computer is just clamping down on Churners by a simple if accounts > 8 then deny or something, I'm going to have to wait for my phone plans and mortgage splits to fall off before I try again...
Interesting - I’ve got a decent discount on my Plat AF so i won’t cancel but my OH we cycle cancel and wait 18 months for a new referral and sign up bonus. She’s coming up soon so hopefully won’t have an issue - she’ll probably only go for QF Ultimate though

Interesting - I’ve got a decent discount on my Plat AF so i won’t cancel but my OH we cycle cancel and wait 18 months for a new referral and sign up bonus. She’s coming up soon so hopefully won’t have an issue - she’ll probably only go for QF Ultimate though
How did you get the AF discount ?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back