Strategy to obtain US Amex

Got offered a HYSA offer of $350 to deposit 25K with Amex for 60 days - I may take it up as a way of sending me a interest form (1099) to do a tax return and keep ITIN active - anyone else opened one?

Last edited:
Got offered a HYSA offer of $350 to deposit 25K with Amex for 60 days - I may take it up as a way of sending me a interest form (1099) to do a tax return and keep ITIN active - anyone else opened one?
You may choose to do so, but my understanding is that alien non-residents don't need to pay tax on bonuses from banks. I am not a tax professional.

I can't imagine the IRS would be upset at getting more money 🤷‍♂️

Thanks levelnine.

I'm looking to get Chase and C1 cards next and wondering if I need to bother getting my ITIN added with Amex at all. Has anyone got Amex cards exclusively through GT, then obtained an ITIN, and then applied for Chase or C1 cards with that ITIN and been approved?

A partial data point perhaps - I have two Amex cards (both applied for without ITIN) and recently applied for my first Chase card with the ITIN. It was a slog, but I was approved after about 3 weeks.

Only a partial data point because at one stage I did reach out to amex via online chat asking for my ITIN details to be added to my account. The agent gave me one of those secure chat window forms to load my number, and did say that it had been sent off for processing, but I never heard anything more about it. Not sure if that actually did anything or not, and I haven't been able to obtain a copy of my credit report to check.

A partial data point perhaps - I have two Amex cards (both applied for without ITIN) and recently applied for my first Chase card with the ITIN. It was a slog, but I was approved after about 3 weeks.

Only a partial data point because at one stage I did reach out to amex via online chat asking for my ITIN details to be added to my account. The agent gave me one of those secure chat window forms to load my number, and did say that it had been sent off for processing, but I never heard anything more about it. Not sure if that actually did anything or not, and I haven't been able to obtain a copy of my credit report to check.
Im sure it was attached. To check for yourself, call Amex and use your ITIN to identify yourself to see if they can locate your account with your ITIN, You can also go back to the Document Center page/link where you uploaded documents to see the status.

Hi everyone,

A little off topic but a bit unsure what avenue to go down. I have 2 US Amex's, 1 set up through GT and the other applied through ITIN over a year ago.

I am still not seeing a FICO score even after 1 year. I have a couple of credit cards but still no score. What could be causing this issue? I've even tried a couple of other reporting agencies, but they can't access it either.

It is frustrating as I did have a FICO score prior to having the ITIN, but now it just comes up with
We encountered an error while retrieving your credit score.
It may be due to insufficient information on your report.

Any suggestions would be great.

Im in a similar boat - i am sure you have a score but accessing that score is not easy with ITIN

I was waiting for 13 months for my score to show but Amex stopped showing about 3-4 months ago (only SSN can see) but when I applied for a recent Platinum I saw a score of 684 as part of welcome pack

Im sure it was attached. To check for yourself, call Amex and use your ITIN to identify yourself to see if they can locate your account with your ITIN, You can also go back to the Document Center page/link where you uploaded documents to see the status.
Just a DP. I uploaded my ITIN via the Document Center page and the status was Pending. Out of curiosity, I went back in to the page about 3 hours later and the status had already changed to Completed.

To check if my ITIN had in fact been added, I went into the Authentication Management page but could not see any ITIN added there. It just has my email, mobile and passport number. I also tried calling and putting in the last 4 digits of my ITIN when it requested SSN but Amex could not locate my record.

I'm not sure if Completed status just simply means that they've taken the document and sent it off for processing, or if the request was actually fully completed (which would be record-breaking speed if so). If the latter, uploading your ITIN may not actually work.

You can also go back to the Document Center page/link where you uploaded documents to see the status.
So that's the part that seemed a little different to what others have been discussing recently - I was never asked by the online chat agent to upload the IRS letter; it was just a secure pop up box with a single text field that I filled in and clicked submit 🤷‍♂️

Just a DP. I uploaded my ITIN via the Document Center page and the status was Pending. Out of curiosity, I went back in to the page about 3 hours later and the status had already changed to Completed.

To check if my ITIN had in fact been added, I went into the Authentication Management page but could not see any ITIN added there. It just has my email, mobile and passport number. I also tried calling and putting in the last 4 digits of my ITIN when it requested SSN but Amex could not locate my record.

I'm not sure if Completed status just simply means that they've taken the document and sent it off for processing, or if the request was actually fully completed (which would be record-breaking speed if so). If the latter, uploading your ITIN may not actually work.
May I ask where is this Authentication Management page pls? Thanks.

Go to Account Services -> Security & Privacy -> Authentication Management.
Thanks, my acc does show ITIN there but I have used ITIN for biz amex application once. My partner's one is not showing ITIN, and she has uploaded ITIN using doc center (only been a few days so far).

48 hours or few days to take effect

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back