Strategy to obtain US Amex

I only have 2 business days and a weekend in the States so already limited.
i don't have cash flow to set up new bank accounts. Best I can think of is buying gift cards at office stores for planned shopping to get 5x at least. I am very risk adverse so not interested in buyers groups and such.

Hoping to get some advice for a long term card strategy.

Currently I've gone through the following cards and I'm stting at 3/24:

BoA Secured card 5/2023
Amex Blue Cash Everyday 5/2024
Chase Sapphire preferred 7/2024
Chase Ink Business Unlimited 9/2024 (business cards don't count to 5/24)

I like the idea of collecting Chase points for Hyatt and my aim for US cards mostly is to collect points for hotels. I was also thinking it's best to avoid one off bonuses e.g. Hawaiian miles / AA miles if I'm not going to be regularly collecting them so I can avoid orphan miles.

My thoughts are to continue churning Chase Ink cards and insert other cards as spacers whenever I can. I can't spend a whole lot, so the large spend Amex Business cards are out of the question but $2k USD/month is within reason. Potentially could stretch it to $3k/USD for the Chase Ink Preferred.

My thoughts are to get the Capital One Venture or the Citi Strata Premier as a spacer before going back to Chase Ink Unlimited cards. But I had a few questions regarding my plan. Would appreciate any input:

1. How many of the same Chase Ink flavour can you hold at once? e.g. can I just continuously churn Chase Ink Unlimited cards (Once per 3 months to limit card velocity)
2. Should I be downgrading my CSP? Makes sense annual fee wise but if there are better uses of the 5/24 slot then it makes sense to just hold on to it
3. With other AF cards that take up 5/24 slots, is the long term plan to downgrade these to non-AF cards (eating up another 5/24 slot) or do you just cancel them?
4. Any business cards that are worth considering with relatively low min spend requirements?

BoA Secured card 5/2023

I like the idea of collecting Chase points for Hyatt and my aim for US cards mostly is to collect points for hotels. I was also thinking it's best to avoid one off bonuses e.g. Hawaiian miles / AA miles if I'm not going to be regularly collecting them so I can avoid orphan miles.

My thoughts are to continue churning Chase Ink cards and insert other cards as spacers whenever I can. I can't spend a whole lot, so the large spend Amex Business cards are out of the question but $2k USD/month is within reason. Potentially could stretch it to $3k/USD for the Chase Ink Preferred.

My thoughts are to get the Capital One Venture or the Citi Strata Premier as a spacer before going back to Chase Ink Unlimited cards. But I had a few questions regarding my plan. Would appreciate any input:

1. How many of the same Chase Ink flavour can you hold at once? e.g. can I just continuously churn Chase Ink Unlimited cards (Once per 3 months to limit card velocity)
2. Should I be downgrading my CSP? Makes sense annual fee wise but if there are better uses of the 5/24 slot then it makes sense to just hold on to it
3. With other AF cards that take up 5/24 slots, is the long term plan to downgrade these to non-AF cards (eating up another 5/24 slot) or do you just cancel them?
4. Any business cards that are worth considering with relatively low min spend requirements?

Correct me if I am wrong, but once you downgrade/product-change your cards - if there is a possible path to no AF at all- you keep the same account - so it's not taking up another slot 5/24 - That's my understanding - Is it right?

BoA Secured card 5/2023

I am no professional, but here are my thoughts:
1. The staus quo has been once every 3 months. HOWEVER, there have emerged a number of reddit threads for people being SD with chase with thin credit and applying too many biz cards. Some where holding large balances too.
2. You need to hold you CSP in order to move chase biz points over to transfer partners otherwise they can only be converted into cash (not hyatt or airlines)
3. I would look at downgrading to no AF if possible. If you need to move credit limit down the track with chase/amex to get a new card approved then that is easy.
4. For biz credit cards, I would look at this post: Best Current Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses & Offers For October, 2024 - Doctor Of Credit

Just one more item, remember some biz cards go into 5/24 so be aware (like C1 biz cards). I think there are a number of good bonuses out there for personal cards before I would go to those personal cards, but it is personal preference

Having trouble getting a statement from HSBC US for a residential US address...two months in a row now. Are there any DP's for using a WISE statement as proof of address when applying for a Chase CC?

Having trouble getting a statement from HSBC US for a residential US address...two months in a row now. Are there any DP's for using a WISE statement as proof of address when applying for a Chase CC?
What problem are you having? I just changed my mailing address to a US address and that came through fine on the statement.

Was it just your mailing address you changed? or residential address?
I played around with a few options - but it seems the only one that will change the address on an HSBC statement is the mailing address. Oddly even with residential address updated to US (but mailing as AU), the statement had AU on it

I played around with a few options - but it seems the only one that will change the address on an HSBC statement is the mailing address. Oddly even with residential address updated to US (but mailing as AU), the statement had AU on it
Interesting. I'll give that a go and do a transaction to generate a statement. Hopefully that does the trick then

I've got a decent amount of other expenses, aside from AMEX / Chase are any other banks relatively straightforward to apply with (Citi Biz AAdvanatage etc)?

hi all

been following this thread for quite some time while i wait for Amex to let me open an account. Been holding off new applications so i no longer look like a churner.

I did open a platinum card for the wife.

some questions:
1. for those who also open US cards for P2, at least for Amex do you find they ever need to pick up the phone? My wife loves the biz class flights and elite hotel treatment but doesn't want to talk to people.
2. is there any issues opening an HSBC joint account, thinking easier getting premier in 1 go rather than 2.
3. do any of you share US mob number with P2 or do you need 2 numbers if both have credit cards with the same bank?

My thoughts are to get the Capital One Venture or the Citi Strata Premier as a spacer before going back to Chase Ink Unlimited cards. But I had a few questions regarding my plan.
Your strategy sounds broadly right. You probably won't be able to get Inks every 3 months with such a thin credit file, but no big harm in applying except for the hard pull. Sounds like your pace of spend is pretty slow, so the risk of being shut down shouldn't be too high. You can always revaluate as new card offers come along and if your focus changes. Apart from bearing in mind 5/24, you don't need a lot of long-term planning at the pace you're going.
some questions:
1. for those who also open US cards for P2, at least for Amex do you find they ever need to pick up the phone? My wife loves the biz class flights and elite hotel treatment but doesn't want to talk to people.
She may need to call Amex if an application gets held up for ID verification reasons. Amex calls are generally pretty easy.
3. do any of you share US mob number with P2 or do you need 2 numbers if both have credit cards with the same bank?
Can use the same number.

Back