The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess a visit to the vet is a bit like taking a flight (is that too on-topic for this thread?). Different people place different value in different fare types/classes. Some willing to spend more for premium cabins, others looking for the cheapest fare, and others decide that the fare is too high so they will not travel. Similarly, some only purchase return tickets while others stick to one-way tickets.

For me, other than for routine visits like check-ups and shots, I am always prepared for a vet visit to be a one-way ticket, with a return journey being a bonus. Multiple thousands of dollars for canine knee surgery exceeds my personal threshold of justification. But I understand that for some people that type of expense may be incurred as part of the journey, just as I would not pay cash (or credit card for the points) for a first class ticket to Europe, but I understand that many people do. We are different people with different thresholds and priorities. Its not a matter of who is right and who is wrong - just different.

That's my point. Vets play on that emotion to rip off people by suggesting unrequired treatments. That's my point there was no suggestion of an improvement in the dogs treatment. Exactly as I wrote I think the vet said "oh we better look at that knee" completely asymptomatic. I know you like to disagree with everything I write, but please do try to at least address my point rather than conflate it with a separate issue.

As for vets doing radiotherapy. The problem there is that they have no idea about radiation safety and no training in oncology. Radiation oncology of humans is complex, requiring many years of training and experience. That's only one species.

Saying "vets play on that emotion" is, IMHO, an amazingly unfair generalization and would be highly offensive to most vets.

I don't like to disagree with everything you write. You write a lot and I actually rarely comment. But I believe that in this case you have expressed a view, and I just wished to express mine :)

Saying "vets play on that emotion" is, IMHO, an amazingly unfair generalization and would be highly offensive to most vets.

I don't like to disagree with everything you write. You write a lot and I actually rarely comment. But I believe that in this case you have expressed a view, and I just wished to express mine :)

True. I should've written some vets, but will also note that I didn't write all vets.

We have decided to put our number 1 dog to sleep next week - after 15 years with my wife as her constant companion, Bella is in constant pain (on daily painkillers) and is getting very slow.

Thankfully we have been with our local vet since 2006. Vet is coming to our home. Also got a pet funeral service coming to take the body and cremate her.

Friday next week will be a difficult day

We have decided to put our number 1 dog to sleep next week - after 15 years with my wife as her constant companion, Bella is in constant pain (on daily painkillers) and is getting very slow.

Thankfully we have been with our local vet since 2006. Vet is coming to our home. Also got a pet funeral service coming to take the body and cremate her.

I'm not going to like your post in fear of sending the wrong intention.

Terribly sad part of life ... it's good you have time to talk with the kids and get them ready. 15 years - it's been a good life!

Terribly sad part of life ... it's good you have time to talk with the kids and get them ready. 15 years - it's been a good life!

The hardest choices are when you know you must put the patient first, knowing that it is unfair to make them suffer further to avoid our emotional pain.

Completely understand - sometimes a part of a comment one wants to like.

Yes, been through it with our kids. They understand but I don't think they yet realise what is going to happen. We've had my parents in laws' dog die 12 months ago so they understand the concept. We're going (as a family) to spread some of her ashes at Brighton Beach, where she and my wife used to walk.

We don't know her exact age - she was an adult dog when rescued from an abusive owner in 2000 and my wife was working at an animal shelter as a volunteer. But she's had a great innings and we don't want her to spend the rest of her life in pain. That's cruelty for our own selfish purposes.

That balance between extending life (and pain) is so very difficult. A few years ago I got my vet to come and put down my old blind Labrador. I cried a lot that day. My thoughts and support are with you for next week.

I think it'll be my wife that needs the thoughts as it was her dog (before I met them both) :( - I've taken the day off and I'll be picking up the kids from school, as I don't think she'll trust herself behind the wheel. I think a very wise idea for all on the roads.

We gained Tara a week before our wedding, and was our children's very patient pet. By the age of near 17 she could barely walk.
I made the decision to have the Vet come to our home while we were all at work/school to have her go to sleep on her bed on the verandah.
To this day the family thinks she died of old age. This has been my secret for the past 15 years, and now our dog Sally is starting to slow down. Looks like I will have to put my " big boys pants" on again at some point in the next year or so.
You live with the knowledge that you have given them a good life as part of your pack.

I had to put down my heart dog last year - he was a Labrador, only 10 years old but had advanced stage cancer. The gentleman and I were devastated. It was nearly 1 year ago and still makes me cry thinking about it. Pets become such important parts of your life. I think it is described very well by The Oatmeal with the cartoon My Dog: the paradox.

And it is a year ago since my namesake had a helping hand to ease her into heaven also.

Currently staying at Rooty Hill Novotel for the PSSA AFL State Championships. I ducked into Mt Druitt McDonalds for coffee, there were signs on each cash register "Counterfeit Note Automatic Scanning in Operation" After watching Struggle Street last week I was expecting many things from Mt Druitt, but this was not one of them.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

After putting our beloved 14 y o Lab down a few years ago, with MrMac me and the three in-their-20's kids all hanging on to part of Sam, and all, including the vet, crying, we had him cremated and buried him in the garden, under a rose called 'Joyfulness' because that's what he gave to the family. We've had a wonderful chocky Lab for the last 8 and it will be even harder to say goodbye to him. But it's the last act of love that you can do; the last thing Sam felt was a loving touch and the last thing he heard was a loving voice. I often reflect that we don't offer the same act of grace to humans.

We gained Tara a week before our wedding, and was our children's very patient pet. By the age of near 17 she could barely walk.
I made the decision to have the Vet come to our home while we were all at work/school to have her go to sleep on her bed on the verandah.
To this day the family thinks she died of old age. This has been my secret for the past 15 years, and now our dog Sally is starting to slow down. Looks like I will have to put my " big boys pants" on again at some point in the next year or so.
You live with the knowledge that you have given them a good life as part of your pack.

wow! that's an exceptional idea, I'll have to remember that for the future.

I had to put one of ours down with lead once, one of the hardest things I've ever done, I think I'd struggle to do it again. In fact, I don't think I could do it again... unless absolutely necessary.

I feel for you and your family QF WP. Munn the Cat is on borrowed time. Last week the vet suggested I consider euthanasia when I took her there in a bad state (she is diabetic with complications). Perhaps selfish but I wanted to bring her home, the home she knows. The vet did what she could, even rang a couple of days later. Whilst Munn the Cat is hanging on I shall take good care of her but I know that maybe this week or next.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back