The Velocity Status Run Master thread

Would be keen to hear some status run suggestions on obtaining 730 status credits by Dec 17 to retain Platinum. I haven't had much opportunity for travel this year so I have some catch up to do :). I'm Perth based. TIA.
To be brutally honest I don’t think it’s worth the money. If you don’t retain Platinum you’ll still “soft land” to Gold with many of the same benefits, and you won’t have forked out thousands of dollars. You can then focus on re-attaining Platinum when you start flying more again.

To be brutally honest I don’t think it’s worth the money. If you don’t retain Platinum you’ll still “soft land” to Gold with many of the same benefits, and you won’t have forked out thousands of dollars. You can then focus on re-attaining Platinum when you start flying more again.
I'm curious as to what value people place on their status and how much one would spend on flights to maintain gold/platinum status. It's looking like it's going to cost me approx. $600 to get my eligible sectors to maintain gold this year. I have flown lots, but mostly with SQ and using points so I've missed out on the 4 sectors

I'm curious as to what value people place on their status and how much one would spend on flights to maintain gold/platinum status. It's looking like it's going to cost me approx. $600 to get my eligible sectors to maintain gold this year. I have flown lots, but mostly with SQ and using points so I've missed out on the 4 sectors
Good question. I enjoy being Platinum, but everyone is different because what everyone values when flying is different. I fly Virgin about 35 times per year and so I'd value the things I get for being Platinum (as opposed to Gold) as something like the following:

Free internet: $5-$10 per flight.
Extra Velocity points: $5 per flight
Free EconomyX: $10-$15 per flight
Fly Ahead: More difficult to price because I don't use it every flight, but when I do it's fantastic. Maybe $200-$300/year?

So "break even" for me, is probably around the $600-$700 mark, but in practice some of the above (eg. internet, extra legroom) are "nice to have" rather than "need to have". So realistically I wouldn't want to be paying that much.

Hi All, I took part in EOFY status match offer back in June and got upgraded to Gold. I called Virgin and they confirmed that they will upgrade my status to Platinum within 8 weeks as I earned over 200 SC during the Pilot gold period. My question is can I utilise the Gold offer Economy Reward Seat Guarantee (6 months in advance, domestic) now and once Platinum came, book international guarantee offer? Has anyone done anyting like that?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hi All, I took part in EOFY status match offer back in June and got upgraded to Gold. I called Virgin and they confirmed that they will upgrade my status to Platinum within 8 weeks as I earned over 200 SC during the Pilot gold period. My question is can I utilise the Gold offer Economy Reward Seat Guarantee (6 months in advance, domestic) now and once Platinum came, book international guarantee offer? Has anyone done anyting like that?
Depends if Gold Pilot allows this as pilot has slightly different rules / benefits to full Gold.
When platinum you'll be full member so no worries there.

Since I stopped business flying, I won’t maintain Platinum and Gold for many more years. I took advantage of the Triple Status promo a few months ago to get to Gold, which got me very close to Plat, so I have J flights for my wife and I next months to get there. And I should maintain Plat next year with what’s planned.

Two reasons. The obvious one is that getting to Plat rather than staying at gold gives me the soft landing option. The second is that Plat will allow access to Etihad F lounge when we fly with them next year.

Alter that it’s a gradual slide downwards…..

Good question. I enjoy being Platinum, but everyone is different because what everyone values when flying is different. I fly Virgin about 35 times per year and so I'd value the things I get for being Platinum (as opposed to Gold) as something like the following:

Free internet: $5-$10 per flight.
Extra Velocity points: $5 per flight
Free EconomyX: $10-$15 per flight
Fly Ahead: More difficult to price because I don't use it every flight, but when I do it's fantastic. Maybe $200-$300/year?

So "break even" for me, is probably around the $600-$700 mark, but in practice some of the above (eg. internet, extra legroom) are "nice to have" rather than "need to have". So realistically I wouldn't want to be paying that much.
Not lounge access?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back