The view from my "office"

Incredibly smoky here in Perth at the moment. All doors and windows shut and when you go outside it is really unpleasant. Apparently due to prescribed burns combined with a day that has turned very still. The photo has not been edited.

View attachment 410876

Not where I am in a northern coastal suburb. Now as the sun is setting, I can see some smoke on the western horizon, making for a very red sunset. Prescribed burns can be very disturbing for people with breathing difficulties. I am often amazed the amount of smoke up here when up there are fires way down in the southwest!

Not where I am in a northern coastal suburb. Now as the sun is setting, I can see some smoke on the western horizon, making for a very red sunset. Prescribed burns can be very disturbing for people with breathing difficulties. I am often amazed the amount of smoke up here when up there are fires way down in the southwest!

It's not too bad in the western suburbs. Seems further east is more impacted.

1728470212603.png

I'm not so sure about these prescribed burns. Every year this time of year is ruined by days of smoke affecting two million people. Really don't see that this is a good thing.

View attachment 410884

I'm not so sure about these prescribed burns. Every year this time of year is ruined by days of smoke affecting two million people. Really don't see that this is a good thing.
Because of this fire in WA a Royal commission recommended prescribed burns.

And this shows that they work. The more precribed burns in green the less bushfires in red.
1728475968879.jpeg

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Times change ; iirc 20 years ago they were building dhows on that beach
Ajman is undergoing a major transformation. There is a whole stretch of beachfront that is being redeveloped and construction is going on 24/7. It does need it as much of the area is quite shabby and the state doesn’t have a lot of land to work with.

....as the Nut's bid farewell to the Qantas First lounge for one last time (WP coming to an end), I looked back with fond memories

IMG_20241008_093928584_HDR_AE~2.jpg

Past the green wall then out through the frosted glass doors...
IMG_20241008_093932952_HDR_AE~2.jpg
(ok, might be over dramatising it since I've only been twice)

Then onto the Finnair office for the next 10 hours.

IMG_20241008_201922350_HDR_AE.jpgIMG_20241008_094937338_AE.jpg

The economy office was fine, meals were fine and the service ran regular sweeps through the cabin with all sorts of lite offerings. "You sure this is a Qantas flight?" quipped Mrs Nut. Past the time reading, watching movies etc. Before we knew it we were landing at BKK.

IMG_20241008_204220902_AE.jpg

Then onto the BK office on the 20th floor at the Sheraton. A bit dated but a comfortable room, bunch of free stuff including 1 hr freeflow drinks, great views and location. Using the river boats to get up and down the river, great way to avoid the manic BK traffic.
IMG_20241008_202534496~2.jpg

Off to Hua Hin tomorrow for the next leg of our Thai journey, see what happens next!

View attachment 410884

The various state and LG authorities are caught between cutting down more trees to create better fire breaks or singeing them while burning off the scrub. Our LG council wants to "better connect" the trees in the urban landscape with the bush on our edges. Doubt they will do a proper risk assessment.

Greece day 9. Moving day Naxos to Santorini

For our 2 hour journey to Santorini we’re travelling on the Blue Star Delos. A bit more sedate but much more comfortable than the Seajet Cats.
IMG_2460.jpegIMG_2456.jpegIMG_2450.jpeg
The wait at the ramp to disembark
IMG_2459.jpeg

Our accomodation for the next three nights at Sunny Villas in Imerovigli. Cave room. A great small hotel with lovely staff.
IMG_2465.jpegIMG_2464.jpeg
The view from the room
IMG_2466.jpeg
Dinner was at the Aegean Restaurant. Highly recommended. Some of the views on the way there and back
IMG_2468.jpegIMG_2469.jpegIMG_2474.jpeg

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back