What cheeses me off

Trouble these days is that it’s almost completely out of your ISP’s hands. They’ll compensate you of course, but they simply don’t own/manage the infrastructure anymore, so they’re as much a victim of NBN Co’s action (or lack thereof) as you are in your capacity as the customer.

My Telstra modem running off the NBN has a mobile data dongle that kicks in if the NBN drops out. A business service.

And re coffee - add ~ $0.70 for a decaf (my staple after 10am).

Best coffee in Nth America - the Wild Flour Bakery in Banff Wild Flour Bakery Aussie ski bum baristas, usually.

My Telstra modem running off the NBN has a mobile data dongle that kicks in if the NBN drops out.
Same here (Telstra Smart Modem Gen 3 on a residential service). I hope the mobile data speeds offered to business customers is better than the residential equivalent. It's ok in a pinch, but you wouldn't want to rely on it long term. That being said, I've found Telstra to be quite good at applying complimentary bonus data to your mobile plan in such circumstances so that you can hot spot.

I tethered to my mobile phone noting the the 5G backup service in those modems is no faster than data on ones phone and the 5G tower is within line of sight of my kitchen. But when the whole area has no NBN and everyone is using failover or tethering to their phone the network gets hammered and performance doesn't cut it.

Those back-up modems are more for when its just a problem for a handful of premises not 1000's of homes and businesses sharing an exchange.

WCMO now is I tried to make a QF Hotels booking (something I was in the middle doing last night when the internet went down) and with only 4 hours left until bonus points ends it errored out processing payment.

There is no way to search for a QF hotels reservation via booking reference (you have to rely o it showing in your my bookings page which it doesnt) to try and pay again and of course customer service ended at 5:30.

I dont want to end up with a duplicate booking as is a non refundable rate; but if its only processed tomorrow I wont get the bonus points which means I would have been better off booking direct.

Last edited:
This of course doesn’t apply to Apple retailers here in Australia does it.
Oh I think it does:
IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0401.jpeg

I think A-pole’s legal dept may well have a pretty sound grasp of these legal requirements. It’s not hard to ever get reasonable discounts in 20% range on Apple products from suppliers other than Apple direct - you just need wait a month or 2 until initial stupid demand dicipates a bit.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Try to buy an iPad or laptop from any retailer and see how much competition is tolerated. I am locked into apple devices and have rarely been able to buy at any price other than that available from apple. I constantly look widely. If you have any methods to access reduced prices let us know.

Try to buy an iPad or laptop from any retailer and see how much competition is tolerated. I am locked into apple devices and have rarely been able to buy at any price other than that available from apple. I constantly look widely. If you have any methods to access reduced prices let us know.
JB-Hi Fi have 10% off Apple products from time to time. Usually limited to in stock items only.

Oh I think it does:
View attachment 413383

View attachment 413384

I think A-pole’s legal dept may well have a pretty sound grasp of these legal requirements. It’s not hard to ever get reasonable discounts in 20% range on Apple products from suppliers other than Apple direct - you just need wait a month or 2 until initial stupid demand dicipates a bit.
So what about Dyson, Miele, Gaggenau, Mercedes… and I could go on. Many just use retail agents for inc HN, Myer etc who then refer to original supplier fo the sale so no RPM applies. Law is an cough.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back