Ask The Pilot

• Thread starter Thread starter NM
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
You miss the point. It's not a backup in case you lose your job. It's the backup in case the entire flying idea doesn't work out. And contrary to your experience, I know of many people who remained current in their qualification, in some many cases owning their own business. For instance, the on board medical kits that QF uses, are supplied by a pharmac_ that was run by a 380 pilot.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

You miss the point. It's not a backup in case you lose your job. It's the backup in case the entire flying idea doesn't work out.

So leave school, get a degree in another field, get established in that field and then at some point after many years when you’ve saved up money maybe have a go at a professional pilot career? I did know some who took that path, some who started initial pilot training at the same time as me but then decided to delay it and seek other jobs with an intention to come back to flying one day. Eventually they got too settled into their other career and family life that pursuing a pilot career, which does demand a lot of flexibility and moving around at the early stages, was too much of a bother.

I mean that’s like saying to a wannabe doctor, or lawyer, or any professional career to start another degree elsewhere lest the whole “medicine or law idea” “doesn’t work out”. Really doesn’t make sense TBH. If your heart is set on doing something, then straight up do it.

It’s also why the advice I give to every youngster I come across who desires to be a professional pilot is to get themselves into a major airline ASAP to take advantage of the seniority system, and to also ensure when the initial decade of their career when they have to move location more often they are usually unattached and in their 20s. This best way for this currently in Australia IMO is the QGPA.

And contrary to your experience, I know of many people who remained current in their qualification, in some many cases owning their own business. For instance, the on board medical kits that QF uses, are supplied by a pharmac_ that was run by a 380 pilot.

Great - but as I saw during Covid the vast majority of pilots I knew who were stood down (and trust me I know plenty who were stood down for a long, long time) were mostly unable to put any alternative qualifications into use. They were mostly resigned to doing unskilled jobs during that time.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back