Ask The Pilot

• Thread starter Thread starter NM
  • Start date Start date
I'm not a pilot but to be honest it's not a big deal. Keep in mind in Canada, 18 wheeler trucks will roll over ice bridges (or as you call it "solid water") all the time, as that's how you reach communities up north in the winter:
True, but I was thinking less about the load bearing of the surface but more about whether an aircraft "hull" is suitable for landing on snow, especially if the surface has hidden rocks.

Anyone know what happened with DL8259 (codeshare on AF) yesterday (16th Oct) from OPO to CDG? Flight never climbed above 24,000 and diverted to BDX. Friend was onboard and they were told what happened. She says something suspected to be wrong with the coughpit window affecting pressurisation.

I was in the very last row. Also took off late bc the incoming flight had someone on a stretcher and had issues offloading them. But I ended up sitting across from the giant metal stretcher.

20 min into the flight captain comes on and has everyone sit down and buckle in - flight attendants included. Can barely understand him even in English bc of the heavy accent.

Flight attendants start getting antsy. Speaking in French (no clue what), not allowing anyone to move. This lady came back to potty and they made her sit in the open seat next to the stretcher and buckle up. Wouldn’t let her pee or go back to sit with her husband. She and I are now trauma bonded. We cried out of sheer stress when we landed safely.

I put some smell good lotion on and they freaked out wondering where it came from. I told them and she even smelled my hands to make sure it was the right scent.

All the sudden the attendant stand up and start almost running down the aisle telling everyone to tighten their seat belts and start handing the passengers in the emergency exit rows pillows.

They sit back down and buckle in their 5 point harnesses and the lady I could see behind me was basically bracing herself under her legs with her hands and tapping her foot super nervously.

Absolutely terrifying.

We landed safely. Technical support people came out, fixed the window - and fixed the bathroom door, bc it kept falling off when someone opened it 😂. And we left. And everything was fine. Like it never happened.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back