Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The messages are certainly contradictionary with no mask or distancing and not much crititsm:

Mr Morrison was photographed without a face mask at the Cronulla Sharks and Penrith Panthers match at Kogarah Oval in NSW on July 11.

The official crowd attendance at the game was 3277, while 4000 people have registered their interest in attending the BLM rally.

I point out that Crossroads hotel just started to be detected and we are now almost 2 weeks down the track, with visitors to 8 venues under Phase 2 conditions (test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptoms or result) and visitors to more than 20 venues under Phase 1 conditions (watch for symptoms). Most importantly we have had up to 9 cases (under investigation) apparently with no obvious link to known case/cluster.

....and a recommendation to wear masks.
The message and optics need to be consistent.
There is heaps of criticism of the original BLM marches ‘giving the wrong message‘ which were a lot earlier than “almost 2 weeks ago”.
And my point is that a lot has happened in two weeks (since 11/7) from which you refer the PM doing the wrong thing and being equivalent to an upcoming event two week later. The intervening period a lot has happened to change the COVID landscape/optics in respect of positives and restrictions introduced to control it.

It may vary depending if one is an occasional essential worker or is say a freight driver.

SA

All essential freight workers who are residents of Victoria must wear a face mask when entering South Australia and self-quarantine in their truck or other private arrangements when not undertaking work-related duties. This is not a requirement for essential freight workers who are not Victorian residents

If one was an interstate freight driver then if you had to isolate for 14 days after every interstate trip, you would not have any truck drivers willing to go interstate, as they would in effect always be in isolation. No one would want to live that way.

PS> I note the current case flew.
Dr Spurrier said the man had not been infectious at the time that he was on the flight over to Adelaide.
I think the thing was that he is an SA resident. Yes, apparently negative on day 1 and only developed symptoms from day 11 or so and positive on day 12.

Got to be close to adding Geelong to the lockdown list.

I am sure they are closely watching Geelong. Though total active cases is still just 23. Greater Geelong has a large population of 250,000.

And it would also depend on where the cases are occurring. ie Likelihood of spread.

So 9.2 active cases per 100,000

Average for Vic is 57 per 100,000

Brimbank by contrast has 210,000 people but 411 cases. That is 196 actives cases per 100,000 people.

Last edited:
Heavy rain predicted for Tuesday so hopefully that will deter more people from attending BLM protest, since health risk alone doesn't seem to be deterring some.

I think another factor is how well they are linking cases from Geelong to known cases in Melbourne (and not just assuming it’s generically from Melbourne).

NSW has shown up to 12 to be not immediately linked so far out of I guess about 150 recent cases ( and some of them could have been resolved in the days after).....and we know Vic contact tracers are deluged.

it would also be important how many close contacts outside of the immediate household are being generated by each case.

“Sorry”?

I thought I was fairly clear in saying I considered it an inconsistent message. In a small booth with other people none of whom wearing face masks.

Sorry, need to ask: are you equating the two events or saying "well rugby can get 3000-odd, so BLM is OK with a similar number"? Or BLM is really popular?

In any event, Rugby is managed by a national organisation, with Directors and other recognised and 'responsible' persons. To be held in a large stadium with provision for social distancing, and the officers held responsible for any breaches (including under various federal legislations / Corps Law).

BLM organised ad-hoc (with many hangers-on/peripheral protesters), on its immediate past history with very poor social distancing and against health professional advice. Unquestioned disease-vulnerable community at the core of the march. One of the march organisers on record as saying he's prepared to catch the virus for his cause. Hooray for him; what about others?

The march is just a demo. They could hold it on Zoom.

Full marks to Tanya Plibersek for her stand on this. You won't hear me saying that very often!

Trouble is, a few on AFF are happy to sink the boot in to Victoria. I thought we were better than that.
We are. I know from experience (and I'm not alone) we go through highs and lows, get angry, frustrated and upset then we move on a bit. And because we work mainly in Victoria its just really sad to see the emotional and financial struggles that the people we work with are going through, seemingly with the goal so near yet so far and there is absolutely nothing they can do about that because they have been doing the right things all along anyway.

What we need right now is a few days of much lower numbers and then we will all see that its worth it.

Yesterday, with Qantas and the 747 flying the roo path brought me quite some joy then sadness to think, thats it!

Best of luck but gurantee Anna has already written the press release banning all of Sydney, just waiting for a few more cases and spread....
And we have a planned trip to NSW.Have already abandoned the idea of Sydney but on August 10th we will have entered NSW so border closing 10-12th August.

Crossed border into Queensland at Coolangatta at around 5pm this evening. I was very surprised how easy it was - only 4 vehicles in front of us and despite only having the visa on our phones were waved through after merest of glances.

if AP closes the border we might stay and request asylum.

Breakdown of Victorians in hospital with COVID-19
  • The most recent breakdown of Victorians in hospital with COVID-19 shows there a child aged under nine is receiving care.
  • The figures from Tuesday, show there were three people aged 10-19 in hospital
  • Two people in their twenties in ICU.
  • Seven people in their thirties are in hospital, with two in ICU.
  • Eleven people in their forties are in hospital, with five in ICU.
  • Eleven people in their fifties are in hospital, with seven in ICU.
  • Thirteen people in their sixties are in hospital, with 11 in ICU.
  • Twenty-two people in their seventies are in hospital, with seven in ICU.
  • Forty-five people in their eighties are in hospital, with two in ICU.
  • There are 23 people aged 90 and older in hospital.
Good evidence that lots of younger people affected.

Plus as far as I am aware there are two pregnant ladies in hospital at present.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I am sure they are closely watching Geelong. Though total active cases is still just 23. Greater Geelong has a large population of 250,000.

And it would also depend on where the cases are occurring. ie Likelihood of spread.

So 9.2 active cases per 100,000

Average for Vic is 57 per 100,000

Brimbank by contrast has 210,000 people but 411 cases. That is 196 actives cases per 100,000 people.

moa999 further to my last reply this graphic shows risk by LGA. From this you can see that Greater Geelong does not rate high, but yes it is higher than many now in the regional areas.

1595503512330.png

“Sorry”?

Yes; its a common expression when one seeks clarification; as in ... "Sorry, can you say that again?" or "Sorry, I didn't hear that.". Sorry you didn't appreciate the courtesy.

I thought I was fairly clear in saying I considered it an inconsistent message. In a small booth with other people none of whom wearing face masks.

Well, it wasn't clear for me, which is why I sought the clarification. I thought better than just going off on the wrong tangent. You might try to take small courtesies here in the spirit meant, even if you think from an unexpected quarter.

But to the point, I didn't think it was an inconstant message, for the reasons I gave; and as HFF says, a quite different environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back