Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well why not when by far the majority of the current community spread cases in Australia have been genomically linked to Victorian Hotel Quaratine failures.

Why didn't the Victorian Government use the ADF or their own Police rather than private contracted security in those critical early stages?
My comment was more along the lines of the choice of language some people have been using. I have no issue at all with members commenting on some of the complete failures that Vic has had in containing the virus.

Assume all the shifting and sorting is as they remove those who are getting retests, so you don't double count positives?

From what people have said, I get the impression that quite a few sensible people are restricting their forays out to essential trips such as a quick shop etc. And that has been consistent over the months of the pandemic.
They are not going to huge group mass meetings for church, the footy, malls, weddings or whatever.
Many places are still restricting numbers - the cinema, restaurants etc. Going to the footy with 3 1/2 thousand unknown people doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

My comment was more along the lines of the choice of language some people have been using. I have no issue at all with members commenting on some of the complete failures that Vic has had in containing the virus.

Is Vic the name person that has been identified responsible? I didn't know the inquiry had concluded....

I agree with you, I think the constant drivel blaming 'Vic' the entire state for what has happened is unhelpful, boring and not constructive. I also thought AFF was better like you, this discussion certainly has revealed some interesting sides to people I once held in higher regard, that is for sure!

NSW Health twitter has announced 7 cases today, none from overseas arrivals quarantine.

6 from Thai Rock, 7th case has no identified source as yet.

Maybe QLD Police are better at washing their hands afterwards? It could be one reason why another wave has not spread from QLD Quarantine like it appears to have in Victoria.

Firstly Vic Hotel Quarantine was not done at all well. Complete stuff up in fact. I suspect multiple breaches of how things should have been done that then allowed some practices to be multiplied out, and that people knowing that they were breaching them at least initially had them failing to test.

But if you are talking about sex then washing your hands afterwards would make no difference.

While much is made of police/ADF in other states being present, it is known that the actuality was that at some of those hotels that security was lax. In NSW for example over multiple months guests were taking pics of sleeping security guards, who were also not wearing facemasks while they slept. Room hopping has occurred etc. In WA two cruise passengers reported of just being dropped off at a Perth hotel and being left to their own devices, and so they bought drinks and sat outside enjoying them while watching the world go buy.

So it could well get down to the key difference in Vic was that a guard or two had sex with guests, whereas in other states they just slept outside their doors. Unless someone fesses up this may well not be proven though, and who knows may even just be rumour rather than fact.

South eastern suburbs for us. I assume Ms Bickmore lives closer to the city. I’m hearing numerous reports of people waiting four to six days.

Well in late 2017 she was in Ivanhoe, as it was reported:

Comedian Peter Helliar and wife Bridget have just settled on a $2.55 million Federation home, moving 15km closer to Melbourne from Plenty and landing in Ivanhoe. Ivanhoe is the same suburb where co-panellist Carrie Bickmore and her partner Chris Walker paid $1.59 million for their home in 2013.

Ivanhoe is not a key hotspot area.

News sources reporting 300+ and 7 deaths for Vic. Press conf at 11.30.

Hopefully starting on the downward trend after Wed peak

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

So it could well get down to the key difference in Vic was that a guard or two had sex with guests, whereas in other states they just slept outside their doors. Unless someone fesses up this may well not be proven though, and who knows may even just be rumour rather than fact.

There's also the possibility that other states 'got away with it'. Statistically, not every lapse in security is going to let the virus out....

There have been 7 previous days where tests results announced have been over 28,000 and up to 37,588
Where did you get 37,588?

From covidlive they indicate today is the NSW record for tests conducted in a day.

and the measure is not test results.

Edit: covidlive reporting 34,135 tests for its 25/5 update, which is wrong according to NSW Health media release (which states 4,276)

Last edited:
There have been 7 previous days where tests results announced have been over 28,000 and up to 37,588

In Victoria Yes.

Not in NSW

There's also the possibility that other states 'got away with it'. Statistically, not every lapse in security is going to let the virus out....

Or they just happened to have sex with guests who were not contagious.......

A modern version of Russian Roulette.
Post automatically merged:

In Victoria Yes.

Not in NSW

Sorry I was wrong as I thought you were talking about Vic. Though I removed the post before a minute ago.

VIC:

Well it is only 3 days of data, but it is at least 3 days in a row now where both the number of new cases, and the positivity rate ( 1.82 % to 1.42 % to 1.16 % ) have declined significantly.

So hopefully both trends will continue.

Last edited:
Hospital admissions have at least not climbed as rapidly the last couple of days. Again is only two days data..so grain of salt. Also there will unfortunately those in age care who will be receiving insitu medical care, and so effective cases may have actually risen, or not...

VIC HOSPITALISED
Cases in Hospital

DATEHOSPICUVENT
Sat 18 Jul1102518
Sun 19 Jul1302818
Mon 20 Jul1473116
Tue 21 Jul1743622
Wed 22 Jul2054024
Thu 23 Jul2014024
Fri 24 Jul20641

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back