Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble is, a few on AFF are happy to sink the boot in to Victoria. I thought we were better than that.
Well why not when by far the majority of the current community spread cases in Australia have been genomically linked to Victorian Hotel Quaratine failures.

Why didn't the Victorian Government use the ADF or their own Police rather than private contracted security in those critical early stages?

Why didn't the Victorian Government use the ADF or their own Police rather than private contracted security in those critical early stages?

That's what the current inquiry will hopefully establish. Very post event of course.

But later, when the Victorian Government did use police to enforce the lock down of the residential towers there was heavy criticism of that action.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Asked in hindsight, not much point to the question. What policies are failing right now, as we speak? You'll know about them if they hit worst case scenario, otherwise you'd never know those decisions were made or the potential damage they could have caused.

Well why not when by far the majority of the current community spread cases in Australia have been genomically linked to Victorian Hotel Quaratine failures.

It's such a ridiculous way to look at things. May as well just keep blaming China since everything can presumably be genomically linked back that far. If someone in Sydney passes it on to someone in Sydney, pretty pointless blaming some upstream source in Melbourne.

And this psychology of blame will not get us anywhere closer to a solution.

Are you going to ask Queensland the same question? Why did they use police that allowed drunken shenanigans, balcony hopping between apartments etc.

If you needed another reason to not shop at foreign supermarkets ;)

——-

Costco confirms COVID-19 case at Sydney store

A shopper who visited the Costco outlet at Marsden Park in Sydney's north-west last Sunday has tested positive for COVID-19.

This was confirmed via a message from NSW Health published on the supermarket's website on Thursday evening, over 5 days after the infected shopper’s visit.

It's such a ridiculous way to look at things. May as well just keep blaming China since everything can presumably be genomically linked back that far. If someone in Sydney passes it on to someone in Sydney, pretty pointless blaming some upstream source in Melbourne.

And this psychology of blame will not get us anywhere closer to a solution.

...or blame the person who flew into Australia with Covid and decided to have sex with the guard who took it home to his/her family. Or the person overseas who gave covid to the person who gave it to the person who gave it to the person who flew in and gave it to the guard. We are where we are. We need to focus on getting out of it.

As the months go by, its harder not to get frustrated at errors of others, but even before covid we lived with our own and others errors (accidental, stupid, deliberate and criminal) one way or another every day.

...or blame the person who flew into Australia with Covid and decided to have sex with the guard who took it home to his/her family. Or the person overseas who gave covid to the person who gave it to the person who gave it to the person who flew in and gave it to the guard. We are where we are. We need to focus on getting out of it.

As the months go by, its harder not to get frustrated at errors of others, but even before covid we lived with our own and others errors (accidental, stupid, deliberate and criminal) one way or another every day.
I think perspectives can be very different depending on individual circumstances. If you are on a secure indexed pension, or your employer is still paying you a full salary and your job is secure, you can be a lot more tolerant than say a small business owner or someone who has lost their job as the result of the errors. Lots of stress out there for some.

I think perspectives can be very different depending on individual circumstances. If you are on a secure indexed pension, or your employer is still paying you a full salary and your job is secure, you can be a lot more tolerant than say a small business owner or someone who has lost their job as the result of the errors. Lots of stress out there for some.

Absolutely, but not only.

There will also be those currently with a job being made fearful by headlines about the economy and future job losses, those looking at low interest rates and forecasts of a crash in the stock market losing all their money or pension and no capacity to go back to the workforce.

There will be those who have poor health, or have a relative in poor health, or in a nursing home, who are worried they may get infected or pass on the infection.

In uncertain times there is stress every where. My friend & ex work mate who has barely noticed whats going on around him while caring for his mother on a daily basis for months who is gradually succumbing to brain cancer. Another friend whose wife has been battling brain cancer for more than 2 years with so many ups and downs.

There are those living on the streets hand to mouth without a roof over their head who cannot fathom what we are all talking and worrying about.

The general media focus on the worse statistic or event of the day (real or manufactured for click bait), hour after hour, day after day, doesn't help one iota.

Last edited:
Where is this happening? I’m reading where results are available within 24 hours.

If you in mean in Vic the sheer volume of tests means that that they cannot return most test result as quick as they like. So they prioritise with higher risk regions and locations gaining priority when there are likely to be more positive cases. ie Aged care, abattoirs, and the suburbs where they know that they have more active cases.

So if you are in a quite country town, then you are probably at the back of the queue.

If I recall Sutton correctly he said that most tests were had results within two days, but he would like it to be 24hrs. He did not indicate what most meant.

Another point that came out, I think 2 days ago, was from Sutton and the Federal CMO was that the widescale testing of people with no symptoms that was done in the hotspot suburbs limited very few positive cases. From memory it was only 6.

So they have returned to testing mainly just symptomatic people only again with some exemptions where the risk is very high (ie aged care), or where there has been a high localised number of cases (ie abattoirs). This takes some pressure off what testing may have been and if you will gains a lot more bang for your buck, and means that more positive cases will be detected more quickly than fa lot of people with no symptoms were tested.

1595514971641.png

Where is this happening? I’m reading where results are available within 24 hours.
Again only one data point but my BIL was tested this time last week in NSW. Had a sore throat and runny nose and had visited a “Monitor for Symptoms” venue during the prescribed window. He waited just under three days for his result (negative).

Equally know a couple of friends who have had results back in less than 12 hours.

Asked in hindsight, not much point to the question. What policies are failing right now, as we speak? You'll know about them if they hit worst case scenario, otherwise you'd never know those decisions were made or the potential damage they could have caused.
My post was not relevant to "right now" - I was answering a query about why is "Victoria" getting blamed for PAST perceived mistakes.
It's such a ridiculous way to look at things. May as well just keep blaming China since everything can presumably be genomically linked back that far. If someone in Sydney passes it on to someone in Sydney, pretty pointless blaming some upstream source in Melbourne....
I was referring to Victoria being blamed - we are relatively lucky here in Australia compared to much of the rest of that world, but that has no relevance to the post I was responding to.
Are you going to ask Queensland the same question? Why did they use police that allowed drunken shenanigans, balcony hopping between apartments etc.
Maybe QLD Police are better at washing their hands afterwards? It could be one reason why another wave has not spread from QLD Quarantine like it appears to have in Victoria.

My post was in response to "Victoria" being blamed.

I perceive in the responses to my post attempts to alter or deflect from a particular "narrative".

Last edited:
An interesting perspective on Melbourne/Mitchell lockdown probably being extended....reporting from news.com.au

it would be interesting if say Mitchell was released from lockdown and Melbourne wasn’t.

Last edited:
you in mean in Vic the sheer volume of tests means that that they cannot return most test result as quick as they like. So they prioritise with higher risk regions and locations gaining priority when there are likely to be more positive cases. ie Aged care, abattoirs, and the suburbs where they know that they have more active cases.

My SIL is currently the Triage Nurse in the walk in Clovid clinic in a major Public Hospital in SA. She has some interesting stories about things we dont think about. No community spread here yet, but when it happens, her daughter (lupus) wont be seeing her for some time, again. And which of course means no grandchildren care - to protect their mum and not their grandmum!

Anyways, if someone walks in and has the bio that suggests high risk - one person the other day works in the clovid clinical lab - they are tested with the 1 hour test so they can be immediately acted on. Other high risk immediate tests are done for people who work in aged care or the general hospital staff, or if someone is clearly very unwell. I asked her about abattoirs but she didnt seem to think that was a priority but probably only because those places havent been impacted here yet.

I get the impression that she thinks it is likely that we will have community spread here in SA sooner rather than later but then she does tend to be too over medical sometimes.

Time is showing us that he bug is very infective and hence extremely successful (at being a bug ) , if it was a young exec you would employ it in a flash...
Most places that have opened up or relaxed are suffering second waves and it seems that there is no real escape or defence.

I find the world reports interesting in that it is very difficult to get a handle on what is actually happening.

China is clearly the world health champion with its brilliant social system and super clever people as they have almost no cases at all…….
(and they get huffy about the wolds disdain for their professed humanity…sheeesh…. )

I wonder if anyone has attempted to calculate real infection numbers ?

South eastern suburbs for us. I assume Ms Bickmore lives closer to the city. I’m hearing numerous reports of people waiting four to six days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back