QF announce non-stop Perth-London B787 Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the 787s will continue flying MEL-LAX after PER-LHR starts, perhaps they'll offer PER-MEL-LAX and try to fill PER-MEL this way. If they can get the flight times to match up, of course.
Unless they retry the QF95 philosophy that would mean a red-eye PER - MEL

Unless they retry the QF95 philosophy that would mean a red-eye PER - MEL

With QF 95 departing at 1425, with 1:25 turnaround that would mean departing PER at 06:30, no need for red-eye. However that would mean a 5am arrival from LHR, which in turn would mean a departure from LHR at 3am - so not going to happen that way.

I think you miss the point ... QF95 is being (or has been) discontinued.

On that basis, there is only QF93 ...

I think you miss the point ... QF95 is being (or has been) discontinued.

On that basis, there is only QF93 ...

No. QF95 is the launch flight for QF's 789, commencing service 15 December i think, or around then. If that has changed recently, someone better tell reservations as they are still selling it on the QF website!

Of course, pricing may be interesting (would it cost more to send pax MEL-PER via international terminal than from domestic? Is there differences in "security fees" etc)?
When QF19 SYD-BNE and QF8 BNE-SYD were still operating the airfares were ~$10 cheaper departing from international terminal.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Thank you to all the above as to how QF may sell the seats. Quite a fascinating range of possibilities.

One model surface transport uses at times is to allow short distance reservations so many days prior to travel (such as Sydney to Goulburn on the XPT trains that are to and from Melbourne) but it's not quite so simple with an airline that also offers connecting flights at each end. QF will have modelled it to an inch of its life but the passenger booking behaviour may see results that were not considered as overly likely. What, for instance, if there is extremely heavy demand out of PER and hardly anyone ex MEL, SYD or elsewhere can find a seat because they've mostly been grabbed by the Perthites or those travelling to it ex the UK? This is quite possible with only 166 economy seats available - fewer than an all economy B738 or A320 used by many worldwide airlines with around 180 seats.

No. QF95 is the launch flight for QF's 789, commencing service 15 December i think, or around then. If that has changed recently, someone better tell reservations as they are still selling it on the QF website!
QF95 started in Jan 2015 with 747s after VA pulled out of the MEL-LAX route. It has ran at 2-5 weekly during that time with services added/removed at different points (eg, 1 QF95 weekly was removed when SFO was reopened) and it ceased ~2 years after it started around 2 weeks ago with the aircraft being redirected to MEL-HKG flights.

QF95 will resume when the 787s arrive.

Will be interesting to see if the PE seats for this service revealed tomorrow live up to the hype.

If it's anything like the recent QF "groundbreaking" announcements regarding the 787 then it means PE will be a copy and paste of the A380/747 PE.

"Our industry leading designers have managed to find a way to squeeze our existing A380 2-3-2 PE product into the significantly narrower 787, a true world first"

I am a bit myself. I'm unlikely to ever choose to fly PE though but given that there's no F on that service the soft product for PE might well be upgraded given the length of the flight.

I certainly can't afford to pay cash for J, so PE is often looked at as an option when I can't use points for J/F, however the pricing to date has not been competitive to the point that I would pay the premium.

I'm a fan of premium economy, or rather a good premium economy – can't justify the price of business class, so as long as the price of premium economy is appropriate it's the 'sweet spot' for me in terms of value.

I certainly can't afford to pay cash for J, so PE is often looked at as an option when I can't use points for J/F, however the pricing to date has not been competitive to the point that I would pay the premium.
Last year when I looked for the flights I wanted to go on PE cost 3/4 of what it would cost to fly J so I figured I may as well just pay for J. PE needs to be priced at about half of J or less to provide good value imo. On another trip I booked PE and got my upgrades to J in both directions so I haven't flown PE yet.

If it's anything like the recent QF "groundbreaking" announcements regarding the 787 then it means PE will be a copy and paste of the A380/747 PE.

"Our industry leading designers have managed to find a way to squeeze our existing A380 2-3-2 PE product into the significantly narrower 787, a true world first"

Given that the seat maps show 2-3-2 then it seems they have managed to do that.

However presuming aisles are same width across aircraft then here is some interesting observations

Boeing 747 2-4-2 in Y+. Cabin Width 6.1 metres. Area available per seat inclusive of aisle is 0.7625 metres

Boeing 787 2-3-2 in Y+. Cabin Width 5.49 Metres. Area available per seat inclusive of aisle is 0.7843 metres

Aiorbus A380 2-3-2 in Y+. Cabin Width 5.80 metres. Area available per seat inclusive of asile is 0.8286 metres

It would be good to know the aisle width of each of those aircraft.

Draw what ever conclusions you like form the above.

All information taken from Qantas website.

It's been available at 3099 return to lhr quite regularly since late last year for a broad range of dates, even peak dates have shown up at this after the initial silly prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back