The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a Friday night game. Light coverage of the 5 AFL Saturday games but extended coverage of the Rugby codes. Do we really need to see the full set of 3 tries from one just match? But then they show more Rugby highlights with more full sets of tries!

I dont get rugby at all. Maybe Union. League - shudder.

Well because of our cancelled flight last night I got to watch the Islanders beat the Rangers.
Erkpod will know of what I am talking.

Must have been an old game if it was the Islanders. ;)

Meanwhile, my Bears are on a 3 game win streak after defeating the 2 two teams in the Australian competition.

Last year's premiers are behind us on the table (Mustangs) & we're currently 2 points away from the runners up (Ice).

ImageUploadedByAustFreqFly1433032897.711187.jpg

You too eh!

My favourite comment from joint MD;

"Promise them anything they want and we'll at least get two years fees out of them."

Response - "But what they're asking for is impossible!"

Joint MD - "So, that just means there won't be any publicity when they sack us."

and he was serious.

And he wonders why his staff throw sickies, some have no idea

So what is with women in hotel rooms. Mrs D has left her gold watch on the writing desk. The diamond necklace I gave her a couple of Xmas ago, over the FRUIT in the fruit bowl and a gold/diamond bracelet (not that valuable, but still...) on the bedside table.
At checkout tomorrow I have to check EVERY nook and cranny prior to exit..... Why ?
This may make Mrs D amend her habits. You will probably find that your insurance for personal effects does NOT​ cover jewellery in a hotel room unless it's in the safe, bye bye my mother's $10k diamond ring accidentally left behind...the only item of hers I had.....I was more upset about the loss of the ring than the value; but still.

And the Blackhawks have defeated the Ducks (that's a surprise to me!!) to play the Lightning in the Stanley Cup final!

NHL Gamecentre is certainly worth the coin. 30 teams, 82 games each team & that's only the regular season!

Sorry to hear of your loss QF WP. We lost our little kitten (18 mths old) a week ago when she suffered renal failure. She was a livewire and is very missed. My daughter sent me the Rainbow Bridge, which I had not seen before and said that Andi would be patiently waiting for me.

Mrs Rugby and I landed in Rovinj, Croatia this afternoon and quickly worked out that the Red Bull Air Race was wrapping up in town, a couple of bays over from our hotel. Lots of traffic about so we decided to just check in and go for swim and have a few drinks by the water. The great thing was that after the race they had an exhibition session and from our vantage point we saw lots of action as they set up and finished formations for about 90 minutes with the sun beginning to set in the background. It was excellent viewing! One of those 'right place right time' moments.

You've got to feel sorry for San Francisco. It looks like they'd just finished rebuilding it after "Godzilla" attacked it, and on the weekend the "San Andreas" fault destroyed SFO again (as well as Hoover Dam and most of LA).

San Andreas is your formulaic disaster movie with hero Dwane Johnston estranged from his wife and having to rescue his kid from certain death (shades of "2012"). Special effects are spectacular and it's an enjoyable couple of hours as long as you suspend disbelief and don't expect too much character development.

Quite a bit of San Andreas was produced in Queensland. When the Hoover Dam goes, it floods large areas of Brisbane (producers obviously having taken footage from the Qld floods of a few years ago). The hero crash-lands his helicopter into a "Ray's Outdoors" shop supposedly in a mall in Bakersfield. Also noted Kylie Minogue in a short segment. Other actors I recognised included Archie Punjab (Kalinda from "the Good Wife") and Australian actor Hugo Johnstone-Burt with a big supporting actor role - best known as Constable Hugh Collins from the wonderful "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".

1/5 bar of 4g is better than 5/5 3g. So your signal strength/quality has improved slightly.

I am not a tech-expert in that field, but that is my understanding.

Depends entirely on what you are doing - and could be quite different for voice or data.

The number of bars relates to signal strength - and a better signal will mean:
- potentially lower power needed to transmit / receive (so longer battery life between charges)
- less likelihood of drop outs (loss of calls, lost / resent data).

3G vs 4G, ignoring technicalities of what various telcos call "4G" can probably just be considered as 4G offering higher maximum possible data rate.

So, what does this mean for you? For voice calls, any higher rate than necessary is not of much use. Lower power use and more reliable connection of more bars on 3G is probably better.

For data use, not such an easy answer. If you don't need much sustained throughput, a more reliable 3G might be better (and give longer battery life). If moving a lot of data en mass, a faster 4G rate would be better, providing that drop outs, retries etc. caused by a poor connection don't reduce the effective rate below what a more stable 3G connection can achieve. It will probably depend on why the "bars" are low for 4G - is it something constant (you are just on the edge of the covered area), but the connection is reliable and stable, or does it fluctuate. Another factor, is how many others are using data via that cell. No point being on a 4G that is being flogged by others, if a 3G connection can give better speed because no-one else is using it.

There is no definitive "which is best", but my off-the-cuff would be, better signal on 3G for voice, and probably 4G for data.

Finally watched the force reds game today. The force have to feel a bit robbed by some average decisions. But the difference in the reds was pretty stark. Who knows if it was Cooper's return or the coaching consultant...

Genia and cooper had some moments of brilliance.

Interesting week ahead. Travelling in casual clothes tonight, while trying out travelling the evening before rather than in the wee small hours tomorrow. Got to the airport carpark 90 minutes before my flight after a 35 minute drive from home against the normal peak hour flow. Slight hiccup on the drive when I remembered I'd forgotten my suit jacket. Mainly required for warmth.

Got out of the car at the airport and realise I was wearing white sandshoes, not my black leather formal work shoes. Argh!

A week of either white sandshoes, albeit trendy, with black trousers and button up work shirt (absolutely rubbish look); or I wear today's pants with work shirts for a week.

Interesting week ahead. Travelling in casual clothes tonight, while trying out travelling the evening before rather than in the wee small hours tomorrow. Got to the airport carpark 90 minutes before my flight after a 35 minute drive from home against the normal peak hour flow. Slight hiccup on the drive when I remembered I'd forgotten my suit jacket. Mainly required for warmth.

Got out of the car at the airport and realise I was wearing white sandshoes, not my black leather formal work shoes. Argh!

A week of either white sandshoes, albeit trendy, with black trousers and button up work shirt (absolutely rubbish look); or I wear today's pants with work shirts for a week.

I'd take a visit to DJ's - in fact I'd probably not need the shoe excuse :lol:

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back