The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally made it to Hilton Barbados and jeez those waves crashing in on the beach from my balcony are music to my ears :mrgreen:
ImageUploadedByAustFreqFly1434169394.677550.jpg

(the beach is in the darkness behind the pools :lol: I'll upload a nicer pic tomorrow ;) )

Quick one for the gurus on Fiji - am pricing up flights from any city on the east coast of Australia and in 'peak' season e.g. school holidays the cost is roughly $800-1000 return. Is there any better way of doing it? I remember there used to be some good J fares, but doubt it would beat that price anyway. I thought of AA miles but the 35k return only seems to be for Aus-NZ return travel, not including Fiji.
For Fiji always look at one way fares, remembering that the ex Fiji fares are in $FJ.

This should save approx 15-20%

On the topic of MASA's, I am starting my final FASA in OTP this afternoon. I had 2 in Feb, all segments posted as zero Status Credits and zero miles of course. After following up one of them so far, the correct SC's and incorrect miles were posted a few days later. What happened to the auto sweeps that were supposed to post the earnings correctly?
i have had 2 chase ups, nothing correct yet. Happy travels. John. Finishing breakfast at the IC Bucharest.

For Fiji always look at one way fares, remembering that the ex Fiji fares are in $FJ.

This should save approx 15-20%

Thanks straitman, did have a look at that also but wasn't giving me too much. Looks like I'm on the right track anyway :cool:

I remain surprised at how many of us have no will, no Binding Death Agreement for their superannuation, no provision for their affairs to be handled in the event of a stroke or other major health calamity.
No one lives forever despite major drug advances and life is not a dress rehearsal.
It is embarrassing to have had various Federal and State Governments bugger up Australia with budgets where they told us it would not be a problem. Well now it is a problem.
If we all live another 30 years we may find out just how big a problem it really can be.
I don't need anything in the way of a pension from the government and I am happy to keep working part time now that I am 65 and healthy enough.
Australia started the superannuation savings system over 2 decades ago and so many of the participants are arranging their affairs to qualify for the age pension because they can. One or two more decades should give more opportunities to wean more Australians off the age pension.

A macabre topic for some, but very timely advice that we should all have such documents prepared, and update them periodically.

I am in relatively good health currently, and hope to stay that way, but it is important to make sure our loved ones are cared for if something goes wrong.

On the topic of MASA's, I am starting my final FASA in OTP this afternoon. I had 2 in Feb, all segments posted as zero Status Credits and zero miles of course. After following up one of them so far, the correct SC's and incorrect miles were posted a few days later. What happened to the auto sweeps that were supposed to post the earnings correctly?
i have had 2 chase ups, nothing correct yet. Happy travels. John. Finishing breakfast at the IC Bucharest.

That's rather on topic... There has been a lot of mis-crediting of late. Check the MASA thread, but they are generally quite good if you contact them.

Sent from somewhere closer to Australia, and a better hotel chain... :p

In personal news, my sister and long time tenant has found a lovely dwelling in Melbourne which she wishes to buy.

The quoted price is 25% below her maximum so she will hopefully acquire it at auction next weekend. (subject to the usual real estate agent BS price quotations). I am tipping it will go for about 15% over the quoted price, but it could be closer to 20%. Any more than that and it could be touch and go for her.

Anyway, the good / bad part of this news is I may soon be a loner at home. It might be time to get a new tenant or three? I hear Buzzard is going to apply for the role of cellar manager at Château penegal? :p

b***er. that's a shame

Shouldn't be a problem - survived 9 years without them. The issue ... will we be interested in remaining a QFF post MASA and LTG? Answer = probably as long as the ATO river of gold flows ... when that drys up, it will be [-]adios[/-] avois baby.

ATO river of gold. Never thought about it that way but it will be hard heading to the back of the bus when it goes caput. To my credit Westpac and Citibank warehouses are loaded but those won't last a decade just yet. Maybe in another couple of months.....

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Trip down memory lane this morning. Drove over to the home/street I grew up in..... house gone, McMansion in it's place, along with most of the other houses. No gardens, all concrete, and I really don't remember the streets being this narrow.

I hate dealing with idiots. On the weekend I like to purchase the newspaper. Went to a store that used to be open from seven am until eleven pm and put The Age on the counter with the Saturday supplement.

The shop clerk looked at it very confused and asked "is that the Age-Sun?". WTF!!! If you don't know basic stuff why the heck are you even allowed out alone? I do my own job I don't want to do yours as well.

Aafter doing a bit of research I bought a new laptop today. Just turned it on to find the dreaded dead pixels. Not happy.

Went to a movie in George Street Sydney and the person near me had a phone fetish where she could not turn it off. Should I have grabbed it and given it a 120kg test or is there another approach? The movie got interrupted by a fire alarm so I don't know if the dinosaurs won. We exited down the fire escape in an orderly rabble as you would expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back