The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Bill Shorten called today to appear before the Trade Unions Royal Commission. (its OK .. its a link to a Fairfax news web site.)

ABC 7:30 report leads off tonight with a breathless exposé of bracket creep. Yowsers! I wasn't aware of the phenomena before. No, I'm fibbing ... I've appreciated it all my working life, but its apparently something new to those news hounds at the ABC (I suspect one of their producers has just discovered their generous pay rises have just ticked him up to the next bracket - hence the outraged story).

Really? The LEAD story is on the general phenomena of bracket creep, un-related to anything in particular that has happened this week?

Head of ACTU fumes that this and previous governments didn't do anything about it. Of course certain previous governments did do something to correct bracket creep ... several times actually, but that's un-mentionable on our ABC ;) .

And I seem to remember that certain ABC people were rather against a certain treasurer when he actually did something about bracket creep.
Don't they also believe that what he did with tax rates is the cause of our economic problems?

I made it to DFW. My favourite US Airport, made even better by the Centurion Lounge :)
The lounge angel informed me that the new MIA lounge just opened so I'll get to check that out today too :D

Well done. Did you start your status run in LAX or HNL? I ask as you said earlier that you were waiting to fly from LAX to HNL.

I flew LAX-HNL on an Award ticket and started the run from there. I originally had a night stopover and full day in Waikiki but the original flight got delayed by 15 hours turning my stopover into an airport layover. I have another stopover in Waikiki (fingers crossed) at the end of the run and a weekend in BGI coming up.

Quick one for the gurus on Fiji - am pricing up flights from any city on the east coast of Australia and in 'peak' season e.g. school holidays the cost is roughly $800-1000 return. Is there any better way of doing it? I remember there used to be some good J fares, but doubt it would beat that price anyway. I thought of AA miles but the 35k return only seems to be for Aus-NZ return travel, not including Fiji.

I'm now at the Centurion Lounge MIA. Here's some pics
ImageUploadedByAustFreqFly1434132921.453880.jpgImageUploadedByAustFreqFly1434132944.947181.jpgImageUploadedByAustFreqFly1434132980.527677.jpg

It's pretty nice, although like the other lounges at MIA pretty busy. Some poor German lady in front of me was trying to get in with an unrecognized Bank Amex card and then told she could pay $50. Saved her the bother by guesting her :)
Just had a chair massage, it was actually quite good although I felt a little sheepish when I had to sneak back to get my wallet for the obligatory tip :oops:

One more flight to go!!

Got to Sydney last night on our last JASA that we booked so long ago. Now the Fremantle Dockers are playing Gold Coast so we have decided to go to the game and catch up with our son. He used AA miles and we used a classic QF redemption. It was a long cut going PER-MEL-SYD for status credits.
I wish QF would bring back Any Seat JASAs that make sense.

It will be another 12-24 months I suspect before QF are able to adequately judge the success of the removal of the old time ASA.

Bill Shorten called today to appear before the Trade Unions Royal Commission. (its OK .. its a link to a Fairfax news web site.)

ABC 7:30 report leads off tonight with a breathless exposé of bracket creep. Yowsers! I wasn't aware of the phenomena before. No, I'm fibbing ... I've appreciated it all my working life, but its apparently something new to those news hounds at the ABC (I suspect one of their producers has just discovered their generous pay rises have just ticked him up to the next bracket - hence the outraged story).

Really? The LEAD story is on the general phenomena of bracket creep, un-related to anything in particular that has happened this week?

Head of ACTU fumes that this and previous governments didn't do anything about it. Of course certain previous governments did do something to correct bracket creep ... several times actually, but that's un-mentionable on our ABC ;) .

And I seem to remember that certain ABC people were rather against a certain treasurer when he actually did something about bracket creep.
Don't they also believe that what he did with tax rates is the cause of our economic problems?

All media outlets have an annual story on bracket creep. No treasurer has ever done anything to fix bracket creep. All they've done is occasional adjust the tax brackets, once they've taken their slice. This is true of treasurers from either party.

I never seen tax bracket adjustment being blamed for the current economic problems. But some people never let the facts get in the way of their biased political rantings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back