Will Qantas have a March 2023 double status credit promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like the bean counters are licking their lips, with all these people eager to spend thousands of dollars on Qantas to get 'free' access to a couple of $1 party pies in the lounge before their SYD-MEL flight that cost $50 more than the nearest competitor.
Some of us tend to gravitate to the F lounges in SYD, SIN, HKG, LAX, LHR, DXB etc

More like the bean counters are licking their lips, with all these people eager to spend thousands of dollars on Qantas to get 'free' access to a couple of $1 party pies in the lounge before their SYD-MEL flight that cost $50 more than the nearest competitor.
they can have popcorn too - paid for on the back of that yield explosion :D

Is there anything better that that F Lounge in Dubai! Christmas time for us, twice! Add on Melb F, Singapore, and Heathrow. Sweet trip.
Yes, getting the beep that you’re been upgraded to F on your onwards journey as you board your flight directly from the lounge

Those were the days! Even got that on a reward J flight!

OT but am I the only one who finds DXB F lounge... too big?! lol

It's huuuuggeeee.... but yeah all the options, the dining areas(and quality), the little places to sit and zone out, the direct boarding... yes those are all amazing.

You will do your step count in that place :D

Yes, getting the beep that you’re been upgraded to F on your onwards journey as you board your flight directly from the lounge

Those were the days! Even got that on a reward J flight!
We were upgraded from Y Award to J. We could have hugged the attendant. Then on another one, we were upgraded to F. Emirates again. Nothing from Qantas. Ever.

Agree. F lounge is massive in Dubai but we seem to make it work. 😂

Reactions: SYD
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

they can have popcorn too - paid for on the back of that yield explosion :D
I often wonder if it is a yield explosion.

AFF is a tiny fraction of the travelling public.

Most people I know think it’s all about points.

No doubt there will be some road warrior who rack up plenty of forward bookings - perhaps even on flex fares.

Likely some people planning premium long haul who might be swayed.

There’s other examples of course, but I just can’t see DSC being desirable to the bulk of travellers - mostly because plenty of them won’t know what SCs are.

Plus I just don’t hear people outside AFF get excited about DSC in the same way they do for a good sale fare.

I often wonder if it is a yield explosion.

AFF is a tiny fraction of the travelling public.

Most people I know think it’s all about points.

No doubt there will be some road warrior who rack up plenty of forward bookings - perhaps even on flex fares.

Likely some people planning premium long haul who might be swayed.

There’s other examples of course, but I just can’t see DSC being desirable to the bulk of travellers - mostly because plenty of them won’t know what SCs are.

Plus I just don’t hear people outside AFF get excited about DSC in the same way they do for a good sale fare.
I take it you aren’t on Facebook then ?
Outside of AFF there are quite a few people who are interested in both DSC and points even if they don’t fully understand them.

Sites like Pointhacks etc have helped to drive this and QF themselves now have quite a big presence on social media.
All part of their strategy.

There is a Sale atm on the QF USA site that ends 16th Feb, not sure if that has to end before any DSC offers can start.

Well that call was painful 20 mins and it has been referred to a back office team for processing. I wait again.

I take it you aren’t on Facebook then ?
Outside of AFF there are quite a few people who are interested in both DSC and points even if they don’t fully understand them.

Sites like Pointhacks etc have helped to drive this and QF themselves now have quite a big presence on social media.
All part of their strategy.
I’m not suggesting there’s no one outside AFF who chases SC. I’m sure there’s many people.

I’m just not sure the booking window itself is the significant revenue driver that it’s sometimes made out to be.

I’m sure there is a revenue bump for QF and it brings forward revenue that otherwise might be deferred, or lost to competitors.

But it must surely be a strategy highly targeted to to existing status holders, keeping the golden handcuffs on.

The handcuffs, in turn, lock in future revenue.

I guess I’m throwing out a hypothesis that the revenue generated by the handcuffed status holders at other times of the year is the main benefit to QF rather than a quick hit of revenue during the booking window.

A subtle distinction perhaps, and no doubt QF has good data backing up the how and why.

Perhaps @trippin_the_rift can confirm or kill off my theory.

Additionally, chasing SC rarely makes sense for the once or twice a year flyers who make up the majority of the market.

It’s that segment I’m suggesting is much more interested in sale fares than they are in SC.

Edit: Oh… and a DSC in early April would be great to just make sure my handcuffs don’t come loose.. 😉

There’s was a comment in the Joyce email that some 8 million QFFF had flown over the 2022 Christmas season.

from email 3 Feb
It was great to see more than 8 million people choose the Qantas Group as part of their end-of-year holiday plans, and how much smoother travel was than in the recent past.

Holy Dooleys

and Pay premium fare prices....

so in the wash-up, will people keep booking or do they need an extra incentive ?
suppose time will tell

Well @Captain Halliday - if the revenue boost wasn't significant from these promos for QF then they simply wouldn't run them. You can be sure no airline is putting out promos for the likes of the game players and status chasers....

ergo it's definitely worth it for them to run such promos.

However as I've noted before with demand and supply at the levels it currently is, QF may hold off - they probably don't need to stimulate demand much - maybe on certain routes or areas (and QF have been known to target offers to certain routes before of course) - but in general seems demand is pretty healthy and so are QF's forward bookings (which would be the trigger, or one of them, for promos).

time will tell for the anxious people waiting :)

Hopefully our collective wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin', plannin' and dreamin' pays off with a Feb DSC 😉.
But sadly I think QF might hold off DSC promo till after next few IR rises and post-covid demand tapers off later this year as expected. They certainly dont seem to have a prob getting bums on seats currently despite the exorbitant prices they charging and expect their forward bookings healthy too. But hope I'm wrong...

Oh c'mon. Whyalla is a tourist Mecca. 😂
If you only see one “top site” each trip, will there still be a unique experience after 29 visits…? 😁

Hmm, looks like TripAdviser bottomed out at 24 “things to do” (including the steel works #24).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back