Crew Showed MA15+ Movie to all PAX on QF59

I’d argue every pax is either of age, or has adult supervision.
The adults need to be consenting to supervise which clearly some weren't.

It's also not just 12-14 year olds. Unaccompanied minors travel from 6 on their own with basic supervision from flight attendants. Kids can also travel together without parents so long as one is aged 15+, but that sibling can't give consent for the film.

I've made use of both unaccompanied bookings and also sent kids on their own when one was over 15. I don't think it's uncommon at all.

The flight was international, you have to be at least 12 to fly QFi as an unaccompanied minorr.

The flight was international, you have to be at least 12 to fly QFi as an unaccompanied minorr.

They can but the airline assumes the role of guardian. That’s why you have to pay. Either someone is responsible for the child or the parent has agreed for the child to be unaccompanied.

The adults need to be consenting to supervise which clearly some weren't.

And I’m sure they advised the crew which is why the film was turned off.

Again, the “court” (whatever hypothetical jurisdiction would take on a case like this) would not distinguish between what a child could access via the IFE interface or whether the film was screened. Either way the film was made available to the child.

There has to be some common sense applied here. How many decades has personal IFE existed? Why is it now suddenly a problem, only after news blatantly mis-report it as literal cough being screened? Again, this wouldn’t have even made the news if the truth was reported from the get go.

There has to be some common sense applied here. How many decades has personal IFE existed?

Airline IFE typically has a Kids mode and once enabled it can't be disabled except by a FA.

Why is it now suddenly a problem, only after news blatantly mis-report it as literal cough being screened?

Most would consider the language shown to be extremely graphic. Would you really want to be explaining to a primary school kid why the blokes cough is so hard and throbbing. Or why the girl is dripping wet?

Note that other jurisdictions have rated the movie R primarily because of the extremely graphic language.

You can see a summary of the film as it relates to kids with the language rated 10/10:

Airline IFE typically has a Kids mode and once enabled it can't be disabled except by a FA.

As far as I’m aware the QF system is only restricted if proactively set by the pax. Pax over 12 unaccompanied are treated the same as any other pax so this would not be set for them. The only extra service they get (classed as “Young Passengers”) is assistance during flight disruptions. Nothing on board, no supervision.

Your confusion with classifications isn’t helping. Every country has a different system and to say some classify it as R doesn’t mean anything. The US classification of R is equivalent to our MA15.

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

There are kids menu in the IFE but thats all. I have not seen parental lock capability
If there is a lockout, it would be available to CC only but I have not seen it.

Can you imagine individual IFE getting locked out which is not unlocked at end of the flight and the subsequent CC then have to fix for the subsequent flight. No

Most would consider the language shown to be extremely graphic. Would you really want to be explaining to a primary school kid why the blokes cough is so hard and throbbing. Or why the girl is dripping wet?
<s>
Well the bloke’s rooster is one really tough chook, but it’s dealing with a pounding headache. As for the girl? She was caught out in the rain and got soaked!

And if we’re going to go down this path of overt morality, then imagine explaining to a child what they’ve just seen/read in a News.com.au article that was freely accessible to all ages? And imagine explaining to a child what they’ve just been exposed to courtesy of an otherwise innocent post on a forum about Frequent Flying to which they can readily become a member?
</s>

In all seriousness though, you’re naive to imagine that primary school kids haven’t already been exposed to these words or phrases (let alone anything worse). I’m not saying it’s right that they have been, or that it’s a green light for them to be exposed to anything and everything in film and television, but kids are more often than not way more clued up on things than adults otherwise give them credit (or wish to admit).

There are kids menu in the IFE but thats all. I have not seen parental lock capability
If there is a lockout, it would be available to CC only but I have not seen it.
So as you've mentioned, there is the kids menu. This takes you to the kid themed interface with kids movies/tv. Child mode can be exited by a series of simple questions such as origin and destination code or a seat number by the adult or potentially even the child.

CC have access to a rating lock and this limits the content of the IFE, on a individual seat basis, to the highest rating as selected by the crew - this happens generally when there is a UM.

Can you imagine individual IFE getting locked out which is not unlocked at end of the flight and the subsequent CC then have to fix for the subsequent flight. No
As Panasonic is the IFE for all aircraft, the system detects when the aircraft has landed and this sets a timer to close the flight after X amount of time. This means the system is ready to be opened for a new one and anything previously selected, be it language PAs, content ratings, resets done on faulty seats etc is reset for the new sector. Every flight is closed and open as it triggers a range of things, such as the menus for economy etc, so it would be very rare that a flight hasn't been done.

Occasionally they may also turn the entire system off, which occurs after flight close. This could've been the case after the QF59 landed, in the hopes that a full shut down may have rectified the problem, even though it may not have before (stranger things have happened).

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back